Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

20 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yeah I used to think so but in recent years i don't care :D

Another question: while we see the return of looser jeans in the fashion world, will the Bootcut make a comeback as well? Or did it already?

My "super used"-wash Nudie Flare Glenns are on ice waiting for this..

7 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yeah I used to think so but in recent years i don't care :D

Another question: while we see the return of looser jeans in the fashion world, will the Bootcut make a comeback as well? Or did it already?

I hope not, but it doesn't matter so much. Happy belated, also. 

Re selvedge cuffs, I just think - ah, you're happy paying $200 less for jeans. Must be nice. I've also seen enough trash selvedge and great projectile denim now that it barely correlates in my mind. Though I still do like it! 

1 hour ago, unders said:

@shredwin_206

I think Trophy also do a good black jean. 

Which one?  I have a black trophy one that they discontinued that turns grey.  The other model they other turns brown.

2 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

Who is making some cool black denim? 

Phigvel makes a regular model and wide model black denim, including a black denim jean jacket.  I have the wide model and they work great.  I should post a fit pic sometime .  It’s in the Unknown Japanese brands thread.

Edited by mlwdp

5 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

I know of the Freewheelers 601 in black and sugar cane. But I’ve been itching for a some black jeans. 

Freewheelers, TCB, Sugar Cane would be my go-tos. Runners-up, when I was looking a few years ago, were Dawson and Indigofera.

^ Joe McCoy has some, but only in a slim fit

On 8/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, shredwin_206 said:

I know of the Freewheelers 601 in black and sugar cane. But I’ve been itching for a some black jeans. 

I went with indigofera after what was for me a pretty length search - and I am happy with it - they were one of the few I could find with a more generous cut. 

TCB’s fits didn’t look to work - they’re both pretty slim and same with SC - their black jean is slim unless you get the one from self edge, which is still fairly slim just less so. Dawson would have prob been my 2nd choice. I’m not familiar w Freewheelers options. 

If you’re looking for more of a slim jean then there a ton of options as most brands seem to think black jeans should inherently be that way. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

@AlientoyWorkmachine Yes I encountered the same problem when looking for black jeans in the past. I ended up going with Viapiana,  Although it was prior to tcb black jeans. Do you think that their 50s black jeans are narrower than indigoferas?

Either way, I'm probably too late here but if a wider cut is what you're looking for Black Sign have a great option to look into. Thier black vocalion waist overalls.

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

5 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine Yes I encountered the same problem when looking for black jeans in the past. I ended up going with Viapiana,  Although it was prior to tcb black jeans. Do you think that their 50s black jeans are narrower than indigoferas?

Either way, I'm probably too late here but if a wider cut is what you're looking for Black Sign have a great option to look into. Thier black vocalion waist overalls.

Indigofera has a black jean in all of their cuts. I emailed w Ryo at TCB and he made pretty clear to me the cuts weren’t gonna work for me - adding that real vintage jeans are slimmer than most repros and that they stick to the real thing - which is for the best I guess.

I’m a little particular with my cuts - but not that much. The main thing is for me - I’m a 29 or 30 usually - the thighs often get too small (this was the prob w TCB). I’m not a bodybuilder or anything but apparently the thighs I need are a little generous for a lot of cuts that size. Usually need about 11.75 to feel comfortable. And I hate sizing up and having a waist that’s obviously too lose. Funny enough the smallest indigofera (i could only find a 29, which is about an inch larger than my warehouse 29’s) so, it is still a little looser in the waist than I’d like, but the cut overall was the best wider one I’d found. 

5 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Indigofera has a black jean in all of their cuts. I emailed w Ryo at TCB and he made pretty clear to me the cuts weren’t gonna work for me - adding that real vintage jeans are slimmer than most repros and that they stick to the real thing - which is for the best I guess.

I’m a little particular with my cuts - but not that much. The main thing is for me - I’m a 29 or 30 usually - the thighs often get too small (this was the prob w TCB). I’m not a bodybuilder or anything but apparently the thighs I need are a little generous for a lot of cuts that size. Usually need about 11.75 to feel comfortable. And I hate sizing up and having a waist that’s obviously too lose. Funny enough the smallest indigofera (i could only find a 29, which is about an inch larger than my warehouse 29’s) so, it is still a little looser in the waist than I’d like, but the cut overall was the best wider one I’d found. 

Oh gotcha. Cool, I hope they work out good for you and would love to see some pictures when they arrive.

I have been leaning towards the wider cuts as well, and will probably purchase the BS black jeans sometime in the future.

Is it me or not all deerskin patches the same quality when it comes to denim?  My Deerskin patch on my Phigvel denim is literally falling apart and crumbling yet my Trophy denim deerskin patch is still going strong.  Even my Sugar Canes are holding up.

Is it better to let it be and let nature take its course or try to preserve the patches?  Both have been machine washed and dryer dried.  

Why should they be the same? It's a natural product after all and it also depends on the tannery and how they treated their leather. I think it's quite normal to see those patches react differently, especially from different brands.

Regarding the preservation of the patch I would say that is really up to you. Some people like to keep them pristine as long as possible (me included) and some like the beef jerky you often see on vintage jeans.

2 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

^Also, why use a dryer? Hot air in a dryer will destroy a patch very quickly. Best to just line dry.

This ‘dryer’ talk comes up a lot - I understand that it’s not always easy to get clothes dry at certain times of the year (all year up here :rolleyes:) … but a dryer is nearly alway going to shorten the life of nearly any natural material

Seeing that Full Count has their 30th anniversary this year as the 4th of the Osaka5 and we are here still talking about this stuff (ok maybe not actually about FC) made me think if these brands will live another 30 years and if people will still talk about it. Definitely not on Sufu anymore, it's quite clear we are on a sinking ship and the majority has left, but more in general (having been active on Sufu for nearly 15 years it is/was definitely be a part of my life and to see it vanish hurts in a way).

Will there be people covet these Japanese brands after all these years like people do with vintage Levi's? Will people in 30 years pay big dollars just to get a deadstock pair of Freewheelers or TCB? :D
Like we have today a secondary market for deadstock pairs of Warehosue, Denime, Bootleggers or Sugarcane from yesteryear.

I hope so, that’s why I’m hoarding all my unworn pairs to cash in on the vintage repro trend that will be huge in the future! My plans are slightly shorter-term though as I’m not sure I’ll still be around in 30 years time :( :laugh2:

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

...it's quite clear we are on a sinking ship and the majority has left, but more in general (having been active on Sufu for nearly 15 years it is/was definitely be a part of my life and to see it vanish hurts in a way).

Will there be people covet these Japanese brands after all these years like people do with vintage Levi's?

If you feel you are on a sinking ship, then feel free to hop on to my vintage lifeboat (it's not sink-to-fit :D).

And don't forget, some of us here were vintage denim-heads as early as the mid 1980's - l had no one online to talk to about geeking out on details etc until 20 years later, when (after l bought my first laptop) l found sufu. Then l was too nervous to chat with anyone so lurked for a year or so. 

There's always gonna be vintage/repro denim fans (geeks) out there like you and me (to name but a dozen more) and as popular (even niche..) culture has a probable turnaround, one day you will be hosting a denim talk show where you expertise in Shins-era Denime will blow peeps away! Hey you could even have me on as a guest to discuss various vintage Lvc nuances and production blunders :laugh:

Edited by Dr_Heech

1 hour ago, Thanks_M8 said:

^ I See TED talks on how to find your optimum version of repro jeans incoming ;)

I had to look up The meaning of TED talks, thought you were on about the movie 'Ted'  :blush:

Damn you youngsters and your abbreviated lingo! :laugh:

Edited by Dr_Heech

Perspective and life circumstances play a big part in this hobby for sure. I used to get sucked into hype at the drop of a hat, now I like to think that I'm a little more discerning and thoughtful with what I do buy. Hell, I'm still sifting through selling some of that stuff and selling it off. I plan out purchases now, don't make too many impulsive decisions. Mostly because in the past that would lead me to buying stuff that doesn't end up fitting or ends up being something I don't actually like once the hype subsides. Marketing is a hell of a drug. :unsure:

b_F, I think there will always be a market for anything truly deadstock.
So if you have some pairs that were limited production runs with tags still on 'em, hold out and wait 30 years! :D

The thing I like about sufu is that no matter how long it's been, someone can hop back on here and they're brought back to past memories and interactions like it was yesterday. We all share a collective interest, and I know that if I'm ever in another part of the world I can usually link up with someone I've met here which is pretty damn cool. Much better than a lot of other current social media platforms. Long live sufu!