Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Just now, julian-wolf said:

I had no idea! Any insight as to why that isn’t the date that’s referenced on the “for over xx years“ tags? The rivet patent seems to take so much precedence in most discourse that I guess I just assumed the founding of the company was at around the same time

The business was started in 1853 but 1873 is the date of the patent of the 'riveted waist overall'.

^ Agreed Julian. Being repros does not preclude them from vintage, they’re just jeans regardless of brand or where they’re made. It’s about their age and I think 20 years is ballpark for vintage in clothing.

Right. Many of us here have decent collections of vintage repros of even-more-vintage jeans, and, while it’s a sort of funny designation, I’m happy to accept it…but half of the jeans on that page look like they’re from the last decade, and almost none of them are pre-2002

17 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Right. Many of us here have decent collections of vintage repros of even-more-vintage jeans, and, while it’s a sort of funny designation, I’m happy to accept it…but half of the jeans on that page look like they’re from the last decade, and almost none of them are pre-2002

This is pretty much what I was getting at. I don't know the specific years of some of them but didn't see anything that I thought would be the 90's - which is basically the latest that I've seriously considered the term. I mean, okay, 2001 now qualifies but still. 

17 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

Quite an interesting read

https://culture.ghost.io/the-sociology-of-john-mayers-outfit-guidance/

Stumbled upon this, it’s  articles by the guy that wrote Ametora

Amusing and disturbing in equal measure that points based outfit guidance is a serious thing - especially from someone like John Mayer. Anyone who dresses to be remembered to compensate for their talent being so forgettable is for the watching …

E34FC63F-1E67-4BE1-BF5F-D4D6FE05BE02.gif

2 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

I don’t know John Mayer, other then he is a singer

Before that he was a Conservative politician and the Prime Minister of the UK from 1990-97.

His most famous style tip is to tuck your shirt into your underpants. 

Edited by Maynard Friedman

John Mayer is a killer guitar player. Love his playing with the Dead and Co as well. 
his wardrobe is hideous though. He’s also quite a serious watch collector. 

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Amusing and disturbing in equal measure that points based outfit guidance is a serious thing - especially from someone like John Mayer. Anyone who dresses to be remembered to compensate for their talent being so forgettable is for the watching …

E34FC63F-1E67-4BE1-BF5F-D4D6FE05BE02.gif

He's a ...what's the word y'all use...wanker? and I do not like the songs he writes but his guitar talent is pretty indisputable. 

I don't do points but I have some ... out there pieces - and when I wear them I have a similar philosophy - one crazy thing the rest needs to be pretty chill, otherwise, well for me it's just not me. I don't like outlandish as a whole but I do like some different designs, so you need to balance. Unless you want to be outlandish I guess. Not sure it's fair to say that louder pieces are to be remembered - I just find them fun, personally. Far as his wardrobe - the little I've seen is better than the music he writes. But nowhere close to as good as his instrumental skill. 

I'd be surprised if people here don't have some sort of internal compass on when they're overdoing it with...well whatever they're certain thing is. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

4 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

[..]

I don’t know John Mayer, other then he is a singer

Along with his solo recordings, John Mayer is a regular member of Dead & Company, a current band with survived members of the Grateful Dead. To me, that alone is the high enough recognition, even if some die-hard Deadheads disapprove any attempt to take Jerry Garcia's place.

Edited by Talan

20 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

John Mayer is a killer guitar player

18 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I do not like the songs he writes but his guitar talent is pretty indisputable

17 hours ago, Talan said:

Along with his solo recordings, John Mayer is a regular member of Dead & Company, a current band with survived members of the Grateful Dead. To me, that alone is the high enough recognition, even if some die-hard Deadheads disapprove any attempt to take Jerry Garcia's place.

Yes, yes and yes … I just can’t ever remember a single song he’s written, even 5 minutes after I’ve listened to it … and this …

821DD145-1022-4B92-8B3D-F5B8FA9F320A.jpeg

Points based?

B2EE26E8-0977-4894-9744-3D32546FBEA5.gif

much, much too serious 

Edited by Duke Mantee