Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I remember back in 2013ish.. buying a pair of black J.L engineers.. a few months later buying a pair of black Buco's engineers and a few months after this buying a pair of black Clinch engineers.. £5,000 on f'kin boots, wtf was i thinking!?

I sold them all in the great cull of 2016..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

^ My son just covered that in his Yr 9 History curriculum. Seriously I agree, £5k - utter madness, hopefully you recouped a decent chunk from the sales.

I’m pretty good at not buying needlessly these days… UNTIL I spot a bargain (sales, second hand but new, etc) and then my willpower disintegrates. End of year report is a B- (must try harder).

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I bought that SunSurf shirt (with the ray guns and robots) back in 2017, this was my first purchase since the 2016 cull, since then i've only bought Junky 46's (new) Junky 46 506xx (second hand).. a pair of deadstock M41030's to complete a collection and these Devis (second hand) so i'm doing pretty well these days.

I think we can feast from the sufu sales thread for years to come, i honestly can't imagine myself ever again buying anything new.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Bought from Isambard Cycles near Snowdonia, a husband and wife team who gave up their London lifestyle to ride bikes, grow vegetables and renovate a cottage in Wales.. i'm happy to help them realise their dreams...

Lol - you caught the edit - point is they’re Japanese and being what I am I can’t reconcile myself to the spurious nature of selecting what part of the carbon footprint we think we’re offsetting.

I never get a chance to joust with you these days - I kinda miss the cheeky c-nt that you are

I'm not sure if there are 26" mtb tyres made in the UK so they had to be made somewhere.. vintage bike tyres are often super expensive, cracked and dangerous, they're ok if your bike is for display purposes only.. point is, the bike needed some tyres, i didn't need the vast majority of the clothing.

Bit late to the discussion, but I had a little dalliance with heavy weight denim a few years back and picked up 21oz Oni and SDA, and absolutely hated how they aged and felt. They were a nice talking point with the few people that know about my hobby - mostly as it gave people a further opportunity to chuckle at me! So I’d put those up as something I don’t enjoy but not because they don’t work with an outfit - just not my vibe. 

I do have a black filson tin cloth vest that’s never seen the light of day. Surely the fact I hid it from my better half and then, when discovered, grossly under-egged the price I paid for it was probably a sign. Again, verging on the cosplay thing for me. 

Also, something 00 touched on earlier and I just mentioned, I very rarely discuss my denim hobby with folk. Are others here the same?

Other than my family (as the poor sods have to witness it first hand) hardly anybody knows. When I do mention it I’m very brief and quickly change subject - like it’s some dirty secret. I just assume people will think it’s a bit strange / vain / boring. Maybe if I were a bit more enthused when discussing it, it may peak others’ interest. 

Edited by unders

I got busted a while ago.. an artist friend of mine who i've posted about in the 'Nice Things' thread called at our house, as she was leaving i walked her out to her car and she said "a friend of mine sent me a link to a blog post you made on something called superfuture?.. so you have a secret life as a researcher or something" ...erm yes, "well thanks for that, it was really kind of you" ....

I think calling it a hobby is generous myself, as those usually have some skill or craft involved. Agree with almost everything @Double 0 Soul said - except for the second hand page here on the forum - nothing ever comes up my size.  

Aside from that - still trying to do better here. Recently tracked down a pair of black denim I’d been searching for and as long as fit is as hoped/expected they really should be my last purchase for this year and next, and maybe even the year after that. Should be. I never did build up the collection at least for the jeans but the jackets are a bit different. Still, the wear among them is even enough these days. 

48 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I got busted a while ago.. an artist friend of mine who i've posted about in the 'Nice Things' thread called at our house, as she was leaving i walked her out to her car and she said "a friend of mine sent me a link to a blog post you made on something called superfuture?.. so you have a secret life as a researcher or something" ...erm yes, "well thanks for that, it was really kind of you" ....

On the same page as her 'blog post' i was also talking about knuckle duster pocket fades.. Flick-comb's, Sea-Monkeys and Nazi's.. y'know, just run 'o the mill sufu biz.. :D what must she think??..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Haha – it's lonely at the.. wherever we are in the scheme of things, probably somewhere on the periphery.. sometimes I pop into the local denim-carrying stores (of which there are a few these days, though still in count-on-fingers-of-one-hand territory) wearing achingly well-aged versions of the new clothes they have on display to be rewarded with blank stares from the staff.

One time, I did manage to make it to the US and go into SE SF – they were much better value, I felt like the prodigal son and we all whipped out our Flat Head wallets for a round of lumbersexual mutual gratification (much to the amusement of my wife – "see..?! it IS a thing!")

On the subject of owning more than can be feasibly worn, I'm a bandit for any instance where a local eBayer in my size decides they're out of the game.. have ended up with some items that I probably only semi-liked in the first place and at the time was relieved to be dissuaded by the original retail price. Iron Heart is a repeat offender for me in that regard, although having said that I do find CPO shirts with the extra side pockets very handy for work (high school teacher). Jeans, if I wear them for school, need to be relatively fresh and dark, so I use that to justify my purchases of second-hand but largely unworn items.

Against my better judgment, I have a Toys McCoy Steve McQueen sweater (with the cutoff sleeves) coming in – I've always loved the idea of these, but don't know if I'll have the swag to carry off a high-end repro of a (let's face it) crappy-looking garment without feeling the urge to inform all and sundry of its provenance. That particular eBay seller probably thinks he's found a decent mark in me, but the FH Type II I have from him has been getting a lot of wear so I'll give it a shot...

Do any of you remember your first sufu post? interested in all.. but more so those folks who go way back..

I had a lurker account prior to this one.. @KID KIORA back in 2008

Prior to this i briefly had another account linked to my long defunct hotmail address, i'll try and track it down, i was still using it when i swapped a Buzz CPO with @Foxy2 many years ago.. Kaj, if you've still got my old hotmail in your addresses can you pm it please?

..anywho, my first post as @Double 0 Soul was in the boots thread.. my old Lone Wolf Mechanic's, I think they were the second thing i bought from JP, i've still got them, they must be 20yrs old by now..

3 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You posted on MyNudies too... was you still a school kid back then?

Heh... that's right, MyNudies was the gateway... I seem to remember seeing pics of Sugar Canes popping up there whenever someone wanted to post some truly sick fadez, and from there it was on to Sufu and all that entailed... from that time, I remember lurking the WAYWT thread and enjoying posts from Haptronic and TG76 (who still puts in an appearance from time to time)..

Would've been about 2005; I remember having to reinstate my account at some point when the board was renovated...

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You posted on MyNudies too... was you still a school kid back then?

Yes, MyNudies was the start...as Nudie jeans were as well. MyNudies was such a friendly place and Sufu back then was like a death zone :D 
But since the content about Japanese jeans was limited on MN, I had to do the switch after experiencing what this Japanese denim rage was all about.

Naoto (who still lurks here) was the master on MN with his great fades. Because of him I got the DenimJunkie jeans and those were my first "real Japanese jeans". I had a pair of Nudie "Masa" which were made from Japanese denim but I think they were not made in Japan. Not sure.

Edit: to answer your age question, I was already at university at that time but my English probably lead you to believe I was a school kid ;) (not that it got much better but sometimes I understand Maynard's jokes now...)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

The first time i bought from Japan was via a proxy service listed on ebay called 'Zapango Treasures' they used to list all sorts of random Japanese goods. In the listing they would note "we can supply any goods from Japan" so you would send them a link through ebay of what you wanted.. they listed the link on ebay as a sale item, within the price was their mark-up which was something crazy like +30%.. you would buy it, pay via ebay/PP and they would use your money to buy the goods and you would get them in around 3 weeks time +border charges.

Having paid double rrp for goods i went in search of an alternative and found a friendly forum member on sufu had posted the Rakuten order forms in Japanese (this was in the days before google-translate and before Rakuten accepted PP) with parts circled.. put your name here.. your card deets here.. your address here.. your email here.. which i did and faxed it off to god knows where.. possibly Vari.. faxed! ikr!..
I got an email back saying your card is not accepted in Japan so i signed up here to use a JP proxy service a forum member was offering.

How did ya'll acquire your first Japanese denim purchases?
Edited by Double 0 Soul

I seem to remember the early Rakuten order forms were pdf which you had to print off and fill in then either scan/email back or fax, i didn't have a scanner hence fax.

I'm not sure how Babelfish worked but translate would only translate the web page not the pdf order form hence the Japanese speaking forum member translating it.