Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

When the quality control supervisor dips their finger in the denim-gloop and rubs it on their gums to check the purity, they'll know instantly if a few pairs of Warehouse accidentally got into the mix :D

...also wise move by Levi's to future proof the high prices for sought after models and generate hype .. when the octogenarian me logs into sufu, folks will be lamenting the fact that they didn't stock up on those dope af 2020 made in Turkey Levi's before they all got liquidised.

How will it work? The old denim is turned into a slurry, then what? How do you weave new denim from that?

Also, if some left hand twill gets thrown into the mix, that’ll really screw things up.  It’ll be like a scene from a James Bond film with people in orange boiler suits running all over the factory in different directions while an alarm sounds loudly in the background.

^the cellulose plant fibers are made off get broken down into their molecules and reconstituted to new fibers, similar to how tencel, lyocel and modal are made. basically constructing new molecule-chains which make up the fiber.

U can spin yarn out of that to get woven.

Edited by Thanks_M8

Thanks @Thanks_M8 as my knowledge of science is basically zero I’ve looked it up. So the new denim fibres are artificially created via extrusion. I assume these will be re-dyed for use as warp threads and bleached (or perhaps left if colourless) for use as weft threads and then woven into denim. I wonder if the look and feel is the same as standard denim?

EDIT: I’ll only buy them if the dissolving chemicals used are organic.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

^ exactly! Dying would probably happen before the extrusion of the sludge afaik, since it's harder to dye artificial and semi artificial fibers, since they don't soak up color as well.

the feel is probably similar to tencel and so in, soft and a bit silky maybe. but am no expert on this field.

you could look up the tencel process to find out the solvents used ;) many of the processes are quite similar afaik.

3 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Is it selvedge?

oops, I meant "je ne sais quoi", my brain's turned to mush now that I'm past 50... I was talking about Daisy Maes a while ago, but calling them "Mary Janes".. everyone probably assumed I was well baked and ignored it