Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Worth pointing out that Warehouse patches are deerskin, which seems to handle stress from hot water better than the cowhide of vintage Levi's, etc. 

I've had jeans with patches from goatskin, cowhide, and deerskin. Deerskin is my favorite patch material, and goatskin my least favorite, though the best patch evolution is undoubtedly that of my Samurai S710xx (cowhide):

FF782056-A148-47F9-A9B1-1CC530078469.thumb.jpeg.8ea6634099bf4342c3683763f7e9e014.jpeg

Edited by Cold Summer

When the 1st run of CSF S406XXX were finished, it was noted that the the deer skin patch they used for the samples wasn't aging to a satisfactory enough degree to embody the characteristics of the patch from Yawara's 1946 jacket, so they unpicked them and replaced them with cow hide :D

This was mine after one hot soak.. some pretty solid vintage vibes coming through, i'd say

fullsizeoutput_3364.thumb.jpeg.53de7fad516727cc036f3d6b588f59cb.jpeg

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

What's the difference between rep and POSrep?

In years to come.. when i retire from the forums and cash in my rep for actual cash do i get more for POSrep?

Just threw in some SuperRep so you can retire early.

12 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

No offence taken :D

I should really read all of the words.... sorry about that! Just retire from working and participate more in the forums!!

Hey @Double 0 Soul, you've beat up tons of jeans over the years - do you ever get any professionally repaired and keep wearing them? I'm not sure if there's something like Indigo Proof that's accessible in Britain/doesn't cost a huge fortune to repair. Getting stuff darned can be pricey, but seems worth it for your "best" jeans like CSF and that sort of thing.

16 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Hey @Double 0 Soul, you've beat up tons of jeans over the years - do you ever get any professionally repaired and keep wearing them? I'm not sure if there's something like Indigo Proof that's accessible in Britain/doesn't cost a huge fortune to repair. Getting stuff darned can be pricey, but seems worth it for your "best" jeans like CSF and that sort of thing.

One just have to buy jeans more often than one wear them out. Tricky but doable.

27 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

No never.. i used to do all my own repairs which took blood sweat and tears (well mainly blood) and found that it didn't necessarily prolong the life of my jeans by much more than a few weeks.. for 3 main reasons...
1) I wasn't that good at it
2) By the time they need patching the surrounding material is also getting very threadbare
3)Once repaired they need to be handled with kid-gloves and it's just not in my nature where jeans are concerned

I've got a flexible work life so i can spend that time at work getting paid for something i enjoy which goes a long way to paying for new jeans rather than spending my time doing something i don't really enjoy, repairing jeans for the outcome to be.. well.. delicate jeans with a limited lifespan.

also i don't retire jeans and never rotate, i just wear them to rags, chuck them in the bin and start over but as you say if i had someone locally who could make a 'darn' good job of the repairs i would have to reassess my outlook on (denim) life.

I'm not any good at repairing jeans either, fortunately my mother in law is good with a sewing machine so if I just need a broken stitch repaired she can fix that for me. For darning, it all depends on how much I like the jeans - some pairs I get fixed and keep wearing, others I just retire if I no longer like the fit or some other aspect of them.

One of my CSF for example at the 2yr mark.. i only wore these in the evenings for a few hrs/day and at weekends. I was doing crotch repairs in December

fullsizeoutput_1dd1.thumb.jpeg.a41942913efaee6cdfc90ef5300c7c67.jpeg

By February, they looked like this, the knee had been patched once

fullsizeoutput_200a.thumb.jpeg.51a707a5a1f74db807f86a1987716c34.jpeg

The ass seem had been re-stitched, the pockets re-attached and red tap stitched back on

fullsizeoutput_2008.thumb.jpeg.928674f3990d0dafb600396483393f2f.jpeg

..the yoke was bursting open

fullsizeoutput_2007.thumb.jpeg.870d5e27dbc39b3efedc57f3d3e9d291.jpeg

They were just disintegrating.. I dread to think what this would cost for a professional repair..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

For me, it’s always been the crotch and the knees that wear out. I don’t mind crotch repairs as they’re fairly invisible once you’re wearing them but I don’t like the look of knee repairs at all. No matter what material is used, the patches (inside or outside) never drape properly and just look too stiff and obvious. Once the knees go, then I either cut the jeans down to shorts or bin them. Having been a parent over the last decade and a bit, my jeans have worn prematurely at the knees where I’ve been kneeling down to play with the kids. Now they’re older and don’t care about me :(, my jeans are holding up better there so I think I’ll get further wear and better results to post on here.

All of my jeans get stronger train tracks on the left leg than the right. Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering whether it’s a lifestyle thing relating to be personally or whether it’s a factor of leg twist…