Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

When you are wearing (lightly) faded jeans to work and your colleagues ask you if you have a new pair since you usually wear "those dark blue" jeans...it says a lot about your fading abilities (or lack of).

In other news, we got this nice greeting card from the colleagues of my wife for the birth of our son. Somebody added 2+2... :D

20220112_121004.thumb.jpg.16ec64a0b8fe959cd6b1de44596ae34b.jpg

18 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Shud'up! it hurts when i laugh..

C’mon Neal, you’re just out of an operation … I didn’t think you’d want to face another so soon.

On another note, I’m surprised no one has picked up on the ‘deliberate mistake’ on the quilt :sad:

Edited by Duke Mantee

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

One too many stars?.. my namesake would be turning in her grave

It's either that or she started it before we left the Eu :)

See it was easy :wink: … an extra one for the original ‘colony’ - before the land was divided, then sub-divided by the new ‘owners’

Edited by Duke Mantee

Any of you experience consistent front pocket wear on your denim? I have 2 pairs now that have developed a hole at the top of the pocket bag, likely because I’m always taking my keys in and out. I suppose I could just stop keeping keys in my front pocket all day but it’s a habit. Guess I’ll eventually have to send them in for repair at Indigo Proof. 

On 1/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, mlwdp said:

Happy New Year!

Y’all remember the leather wallet chain trend on here?  What happened to it?

I've never been one for accessories, jewelry, etc. I picked up TFH Wild Child wallet f/ SE last year, and it has a ring on it. So I thought I'd get a wallet chain/leash. Couldn't find one from TFH at the time, so I found Treeworks Leather on Etsy and bought a veg tan leather braided wallet chain. Great quality for the price. About 6 months of continual use. The natural veg tan leather is picking up indigo from my jeans. I never thought I'd like such a thing, but I like it a lot! I get lots of compliments on it. But I think many people (I live in the very rural end of a ski resort valley in Rockies of Colorado) look at me with a braided leather rope with tassels hanging off my belt loop and back pocket, and they don't know what to think... 

The wallet is awesome. A thing of leather craft beauty. It's big and bulky, and I hardly carry anything in it - a few cards and a some cash. I could find a slimmer wallet, but why? 

I saw on 2nd that they are carrying TFH new leather braided wallet chains - WOW! do they look awesome. 

20210711_200328.thumb.jpg.3578b98ebb9539a40787d35f9449ff0a.jpg

20201208_110718.thumb.jpg.dda063d83bf3e5e685e389123b0b9648.jpg

20220115_085001.thumb.jpg.98cacc479b57e3ed6cab25298a1076e8.jpg

20220115_085012.thumb.jpg.863ae6b43e55627fe35eed786ebc3c05.jpg

20210826_182345.thumb.jpg.53264f7725d705948350133f84fd0654.jpg

Edited by mpukas

@mpukasDefinitely get one of the Flat Head wallet ropes if you can. They're made out of kangaroo leather which is extremely supple, oftentimes wallet ropes are made out of stiff cowhide that doesn't really "fall" naturally against the jeans but kind of sticks out, as you can see in this picture of one of my outfits from around 2011 or so:

1057856363_NudieTFDOEEFit.thumb.png.dbc79843e148b2b18282ae12881d3f54.png

I always loved the long wallet look and I'm sure I'd still be using one if I lived in Japan, but for life in the US, I like the simplicity of my current Monk Made short wallet.

Here are my wallets from the Japan days, by Redmoon and Flat Head.

1558035422_Redmoon15Months.png.f488f7af566c60c476c2f474bf3ee38a.png696784030_FlatHeadWalletAging(1).thumb.png.fcbbeee1cb08c0e691dfb1ae202fc491.png

So curious on peoples thoughts. Especially vintage nerds like @Dr_Heech @Flash @Duke Mantee @Double 0 Soul  

when you see vintage jeans with those beef jerky leather patches. How did they end up that way? Were washers running a much hotter temp then? Were they literally boiling to wash them and then hang dry!? 
@aho you seem to be one of a few who gets this effect on their modern jeans. What temp and machine are you using? Or are you sprinkling some denim voodoo in there? Haha 

Edited by shredwin_206

@shredwin_206 as mentioned, a boil wash will destroy the toughest of patches. My washing machine has a 90 degree wash feature, that's how l cooked my CSF WW2 pair that bf sold me.

Many years ago when l was thrifting, l would toss aside most pairs of 501XX with this feature, as they weren't comfortable around the waist due to the hard leather scrunched up patch.

As for my patches on modern pairs @shredwin_206 I don't do anything particular, just hot wash in the washing machine. I would say it's brand/leather dependent, however, as I've regularly cooked my TCB patches without intention to the point of deterioration, whereas most of my other patches hold up (Ooe, WH, etc.). Shrinkage of the fabric and belt abrasion also contribute to the fall off perhaps