Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Here’s a reflection and a question. At the end of the day, almost everyday, when I take off my jeans I look them over, admire them, and look in the usual places at the ageing progress. I know it’s a massive fucking waste of time as there’s no way anything is going to happen in the space of a day, but I can’t help it. It would be far more rewarding to not pay any attention for a month or so, and then be pleasantly surprised when they look a bit different. That said, not looking at the things you wear 12+ hours a day for a month would be pretty challenging.

Am I a wrong ‘un with too much time on my hands? Or do you all do the same?

I understand if this tripe isn’t worthy of a response, but figure this thread is for such nonsense. 

Edited by unders

Yes @unders - it’s always felt like some confirmation of being welrd:laugh2:  :smile:

also have you ever noticed that just when you’re doing something like this or jeans related how it will immediately draw whoever else is somewhere else in the house to hone in on you so you feel even stranger? 
Sort of related - I always think one reason people don’t take pictures and post as often as they might it’s partly because of the disapproval of our partners that when there’s all this other proper stuff like roof leaks and repairs that need doing - and youre actually taking PHOTOS of your JEANS??:ohmy::angry2:

Back to wallet chains...

Ahh but don't overlook the actual functional advantages of the wallet chain you rugged clothes wearing desk sitters you :P

When the prospective pickpocket realises to get the wallet he has to take the bloke that the wallet is attached to as well, that should dampen his enthusiasm eh

OO talking of neckchains reminded me that my wallet chain is a solid silver neckchain that was a birthday prezzie in yesteryear, repurposed

Must say though, I'm now mostly using card wallets, not yet e-wallets!  It's been that long, I see my chain has tarnished

20220108 Wallet and Chain.JPG

On 1/6/2022 at 1:40 PM, Broark said:

Not entirely denim related, but does anyone have recommendations / suggestions for suiting brands?
I'm starting to look for a suit for my wedding in October and I know little to nothing about formal attire.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm trying to see if FW might have something in the pipeline but want to browse around as well.
Orgueil seems to have some nice offerings.

Start as you mean to go on matey... denim tux has gotta be the essential garb for the big day! 

You can take your pick - daytime tux, night time change of tux, the morning after fresh tux... would be interested to hear if anyone spots the difference

2 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Start as you mean to go on matey... denim tux has gotta be the essential garb for the big day! 

You can take your pick - daytime tux, night time change of tux, the morning after fresh tux... would be interested to hear if anyone spots the difference

Ahem!

westinghouse denim.jpg

16 hours ago, unders said:

Here’s a reflection and a question. At the end of the day, almost everyday, when I take off my jeans I look them over, admire them, and look in the usual places at the ageing progress. I know it’s a massive fucking waste of time as there’s no way anything is going to happen in the space of a day, but I can’t help it. It would be far more rewarding to not pay any attention for a month or so, and then be pleasantly surprised when they look a bit different. That said, not looking at the things you wear 12+ hours a day for a month would be pretty challenging.

Am I a wrong ‘un with too much time on my hands? Or do you all do the same?

I understand if this tripe isn’t worthy of a response, but figure this thread is for such nonsense. 

My wife often walks into our clothes room (back bedroom where we get changed and store clothes) sees me looking at my jeans for no apparent reason and gives me a look,  that I think is her questioning her own life choices 

Edited by Geeman

@unders i check them just before i wear them after they've just been washed. i like comparing their texture and hand feelz with the other pairs. my favourite after the wash is my rising sun blacksmith in white-selvedge cone, even after all these years it still comes out of the wash quite stiff and "crisp" despite it not being too heavy, maybe 13-14 oz? the tender molleton denim on the other hand is always so velvety and soft (but fades aggressively with much wow contrast) and "meaty". lately i'm also liking the hawaii denim, it's just starting to get white on the lap and the remaining indigo has become very splotchy. i was actually going to post a pic of it in response to @beautiful_FrEaK's ugly slubby denim post to get youse all's opinions on why the hawaii denim, even more slubby than the iron heart that b_f posted, somehow doesn't look anywhere near as ridiculous as the ih. we often talk about slubs being "over-engineered", what does that really mean? the slubs on the ih jeans do look much more "regular" than on the hawaii, but is the regularity actually engineer-able? can you punch numbers in a computer and feed them into a vintage loom to create uniform slubs? 

this kind of philosophical reflection is the reason why i'm often late for my uber. 

Posted under general (anesthetic) nonsense

Waaay back, when our planet still had an ozone layer and i was a clueless tweenager, getting into the deodorising offerings of the 1980's.. Insignia, Lynx and other eye watering  products..

I got out of the shower one day and found an old bottle of my dads Brut in the bathroom cabinet.. remembering the 'Splash it all over" advert of yesteryear i did just that.. splashing it liberally around my sweaty parts under my arms, over my nuts.. Ahhhh! followed by Culkin-esque instant regret.

Anyhow after the alcohol had evaporated and i learned a valuable life lesson.. normality resumed for 30+ years... till yesterday when i had a minor surgery (first time ive ever been under general anesthetic..wow! that's weird shit) to repair a tennis injury, when i came too, i had this intensely hot tingling sensation in my nuts akin to the previously mentioned aftershave incident.. I asked the surgeon if this was normal and he said it was probably due to a local anesthetic.. so i went home (Love you NHS)

...as the painkillers wore off the burning sensation was getting worse...codine wouldn't touch it so i hobbled out of bed at 1am to rinse my nuts in the sink, such is life..:) within 10 mins the burning sensation disapated so ive put 2 and 2 together and maybe come up with 5... after surgery do they wash you down with alcohol? (where's wasim when i need him) i had some arrows and circles drawn on my body with a marker pen prior to surgery which have gone so whatever they scrub you down with is obviously stronger than antiseptic-soap and water.

The good news is, ive taken a few weeks off to heal so you'll see a lot more of me around the forum..Hurrrah!

They don't shave anymore due to increased risk from mrsa should they nick your skin.

They opened me up halfway between my belly button and hip bone on the abdominal wall, the arrows were drawn down my ribs so i suspect if they washed me down afterwards with some irritant it's pooled up in the groin area.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

16 hours ago, oomslokop said:

the slubs on the ih jeans do look much more "regular" than on the hawaii, but is the regularity actually engineer-able? can you punch numbers in a computer and feed them into a vintage loom to create uniform slubs?

A vintage loom, no, but looms aren’t where yarn irregularity comes from. More “natural”-looking slub occurs when yarns are spun on old or poorly-calibrated spinning machines, and modern spinning machines do offer the capability to punch in a varying feed rate (hence thickness) along the length of a yarn. The trick of the companies working with the over-engineered slub is that, yes, they’re using vintage looms—after all, if their jeans didn’t have busted selvedge outseams, their customer base would lose interest completely—but everything leading up to the loom is presumably very modern (I’d assume, anyway, that the same is true for cotton processing, dyeing, etc.). This is cheaper and provides more control over the final product, but it certainly detracts from the vintage-esque wabi sabi nature that’s more popular around these parts

Edited by julian-wolf