Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Has there been any discussion on here of Indigo Invitational? Is this the only contest going on right now (that isn't limited to one specific model of jeans)?

I like the idea in theory and have thought about trying to enter it but when I look at the most highly-rated pairs from the last round, they look gross. Lots of ultra-heavyweight sanforized jeans that have never been washed, they just look weird and unnatural to me. If that's the stuff that's going to fill out the top ten I'm not sure why I'd bother since I'd probably enter wearing something like Samurai S0510xx. Also, I can't figure out what on earth the prizes are.

I’m fine with the idea in principle, but they’ve gone too far in the name of alliteration: I’m unwilling to support something with Invitational right in its name that’s in no way an invitational

…plus, as you say, the tastes of most of the participants + of the judges are pretty clearly at odds with what’s appealing to me personally (or, I’d guess, to most of the folks here)

You guys are killing me. :D

A few years ago I entered the Denim World Championship in the "Denim Tux Division" with my Flat Head 7002W shirt and 2111 jeans. But I dropped out after about six months because I didn't really like wearing the 20 oz jeans. In retrospect, I wish I'd worn some JDM 3005s instead and stuck with it. However, I still wear the shirt all the time, it's probably my favorite item of clothing I own and my best fade ever. It's insane to me that shirt has 450+ days of wear in it and isn't even close to reaching its maximum fading potential.

51 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

s this the only contest going on right now (that isn't limited to one specific model of jeans)?

There is also the Indigo Open on Instagram. No idea how that one works or how it is judged. But probably same fading audience as the Indigo Invitational

@Broark - for suiting advice, you might have better luck at Styleforum. It very much depends what vibe you want to give. Typically, a man's wedding suit would be a conservative color, at least navy or anthracite. In theory, you should let the bride shine and stay in the background, sartorially speaking.

With suits, fit is key so I'd recommend you stay local. Brooks Bros. is probably not a bad bet if you're not interested in spending weeks to get a suit that ticks all the boxes. I have one good suit, from Aquascutum in the UK, which I bought 15 years ago. I'm lucky enough that it fits me perfectly... 

Edited by JDelage

10 minutes ago, JDelage said:

With suits, fit is key so I'd recommend you stay local. 

This all day long.

Broark - I personally wouldn’t risk buying a wedding suit online (esp. from overseas) unless I was really confident it would fit well. I bought off the peg in store and had it altered to fit just right.

Congratulations by the way! 

@Broark congrats!!! Very happy for you both. 

It's been so long since I've shopped for suites, I don't know where I'd even begin... I don't even know what I'd like now... when I used to live in Boston, Filene's Basement was a regular stop to see what leftovers they got in from the finer shops in town. Once in a while there was a good deal to be had. 

One thing I'll throw out to consider: since this is your Big Day, a special day, which will be forever memorialized in pics of some nature, put some real effort into your suit. This is not a biz suit, which could be worn for many different occasions, and styled many ways. But it still should be something that you could wear for other special occasions in the future. There have to be some good shops in Austin. Do a little poking around. Get fitted. Take the advice of a good tailor. You don't have to get a custom suit, but get one from a local shop/department store that has a good tailor and/or seamstress that can alter the suite to fit you perfectly. Suits are not like the heritage inspired costumes we discuss here. If a suit doesn't fit well, it looks terrible. A well tailored suit speaks volumes. You want to look your absolute best on that day. 

Re: cutz, I've settled on what I'm going to call a mid-rise relaxed straight cut. For a size 34, front rise around 10.75", upper thigh around 12.75", knee around 9.0" and hem around 8.0" (all measurements +/- 0.25"). The straight cuts that seem to be most popular around here with a leg opening of around 9" is too wide for. The tapered cuts that have become popular elsewhere and seem to be all the rage are far too narrow. 

I've been through many pairs over the years that I just had to have. Then the fit didn't work and sold them. Now that I think I have my preferred fit dialed in, I'm starting to look for this cut, regardless of brand. I do have a fondness for some brands, especially TFH. It's actually quite surprising to me how few models there are with this description. I've come across some older stock at some sites. And looking at the denim and cut, even from a few short years ago, makes me realize how much the trend in denim has changed, and how brands are making newer cut and denims to meet consumer demand. i.e. super slubby, high-rise, relaxed tapered cuts. Yuck. 

12 minutes ago, mpukas said:

If a suit doesn't fit well, it looks terrible. A well tailored suit speaks volumes. You want to look your absolute best on that day. 

My thought as well. I’ve seen way too many guys wearing what amounts to a potato sack for a suit. Oh, and nice polished shoes do make a difference. Captoe balmoral is the standard for formal occasions. 

For my wedding over three years ago, I splurged and got a custom suit from Sid Mashburn. It's a great suit, I should probably wear it more often. I went for a fabric that's almost gray but actually brown, which I think matches my features pretty well, but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with a navy fabric since it's more versatile. Don't think I ever posted it on here.

1T5A0409.thumb.jpg.c92193cd0bb083cbf2eb0b6d4b8c19d7.jpg

Edited by Cold Summer

Y'all look brilliant in your best bib and tucker!

I agree, fit is king with most garb but especially a suit

Out of interest, did y'all wear a suit because you wanted to or becaues it was expected of you?

I'm genuinely interested.. i wore an old pair of 47's, white tee and Chucks for my wedding just because i wanted to and nobody expected me to do otherwise, whereas a recent funeral i wore a vintage shirt, tie, sack coat, boots and a pair of FW's pants i borrowed from @Duke Mantee

Given the choice i would have wore jeans but i felt that folks expected me to make more of an effort so i did.. maybe that's age speaking :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

People wear what circumstances require of them, or what they consider necessary to wear regardless of the circumstances. Does anyone just cover their body without thinking about it?

9 minutes ago, Talan said:

People wear what circumstances require of them, or what they consider necessary to wear regardless of the circumstances. Does anyone just cover their body without thinking about it?

If i'm slobbing around the house then yes but i ride everywhere in all weathers which rules out 'choice' .. i also work in a workshop so i tend to wear what's dictated by my environment, which is usually workwear so home from home.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm genuinely interested.. i wore an old pair of 47's, white tee and Chucks for my wedding just because i wanted to and nobody expected me to do otherwise, whereas a recent funeral i wore a vintage shirt, tie, sack coat, boots and a pair of FW's pants i borrowed from @Duke Mantee

The worst reason to wear them better than I do

51 minutes ago, Talan said:

I don't think he was trying to get this philosophical. Was just talking about whether to or not to wear a traditional suit to your own wedding.