Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

*beats dead horse*
please, for the love of God, stop with the flat lays on IG. There’s nothing that screams I’ve run out of ideas more than a flat lay. Also, dudes that take staged pics of themselves kneeling to adjust the cuff on their denim must be launched into a hornets nest.

*rant over*

Maybe there's an advanced yogi  in the denim community who can shake things up with a new repertoire of poses?

2 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

*beats dead horse*
please, for the love of God, stop with the flat lays on IG. There’s nothing that screams I’ve run out of ideas more than a flat lay. Also, dudes that take staged pics of themselves kneeling to adjust the cuff on their denim must be launched into a hornets nest.

*rant over*

I mean, on the one hand I understand this.

On the other .... this is an interest where most people prefer some ever more precise iteration of some style of clothes made 60-100 years ago. So like...new ideas aren't really the goal by any stretch. Rather it seems like a well done execution of a very old idea is more valued. But whatever hobby one is into is going to have their well worn visual cliches - and flat lays as a type of illustrative photograph are about as old as blue jeans. I've never, ever seen a *new* idea - at least photographically - from the denim community because that's not really the point. The best stuff is just more sincere or transparent or lacking in pretense, whatever that means.

Instagram is a place where most try to make their life more organized and presentable and interesting than it really is through clean visual depictions - as well as to show off the expensive shit you've got - and that's a very clear way to do it. 

4 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

... flat lays as a type of illustrative photograph are about as old as blue jeans.  

pls more examples pls ... [earlier than Outerbridge?]

4 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Instagram is a place where most try to make their life more organized and presentable and interesting than it really is through clean visual depictions - as well as to show off the expensive shit you've got - and that's a very clear way to do it. 

& yes, a good summation ... 

off-topic-on-topic, pardon the blahh; lev manovich did a study on instagram (including this section - noting it is a melding of photography and [rote] design; a ritual of repetition / variation / minimal difference - not concerned with 'making new')

going further / zooming out... i do like sianne ngai's work on cute, zany, interesting [all of which saturate the 'gram] as aesthetic modes of the present, thinking of the ways in which these aesthetics demonstrate our experience / expression of socially binding processes ... the cuff-shot could be considered an attempt to harness the cute in its in-offensive 'naturalistic' attempt to show lovely fuzzy socks nestling amidst the machismo of stiffly pliant leather, the flat lay an attempt to pique interest in its presentation and harmonies, the lumbersexual seance flat-lay in extremis that @unders named earlier / elsewhere [other thread? man photographed from above, sitting amidst an excessive arrangement of items ... ] are definite attempts to enter the zany [and all its stale desperation - ngai: “while camp thus converts the pain of failure and loss into victory and enjoyment, zaniness highlights it own inability to do this; indeed, the desperation and frenzy of its besieged performers… point to a laborious involvement from which ironic detachment is not an option”]

or... symptoms cannot be burnt / thrown to the hornets nest; can we instead interpret what the twitches of the dead horse tell us...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

One thing I’ve noticed about social media is the repetition, as mentioned, or what I call copy cat syndrome. That is to say, people like to mimic each other whether it’s IG, Tik Tok or YouTube just to get likes. My son watches a lot of YouTubers play Minecraft and one of the observations I made was how they all say, “let’s go!” It’s like clockwork. I don’t understand why this happens but it’s an annoying phenomenon. 

Edited by ColonelAngus

16 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

pls more examples pls ... [earlier than Outerbridge?]

& yes, a good summation ... 

off-topic-on-topic, pardon the blahh; lev manovich did a study on instagram (including this section - noting it is a melding of photography and [rote] design; a ritual of repetition / variation / minimal difference - not concerned with 'making new')

going further / zooming out... i do like sianne ngai's work on cute, zany, interesting [all of which saturate the 'gram] as aesthetic modes of the present, thinking of the ways in which these aesthetics demonstrate our experience / expression of socially binding processes ... the cuff-shot could be considered an attempt to harness the cute in its in-offensive 'naturalistic' attempt to show lovely fuzzy socks nestling amidst the machismo of stiffly pliant leather, the flat lay an attempt to pique interest in its presentation and harmonies, the lumbersexual seance flat-lay in extremis that @unders named earlier / elsewhere [other thread? man photographed from above, sitting amidst an excessive arrangement of items ... ] are definite attempts to enter the zany [and all its stale desperation - ngai: “while camp thus converts the pain of failure and loss into victory and enjoyment, zaniness highlights it own inability to do this; indeed, the desperation and frenzy of its besieged performers… point to a laborious involvement from which ironic detachment is not an option”]

or... symptoms cannot be burnt / thrown to the hornets nest; can we instead interpret what the twitches of the dead horse tell us...

You've got me beat with Outerbridge as the only one I have top of mind is Eugene Smith's from his seminal Country Doctor photo essay in 1948 - scroll to bottom https://www.life.com/history/w-eugene-smiths-landmark-photo-essay-country-doctor/. I know I've seen others but my mind is failing me now. Still, if Smith is doing this as an outtake in 1948 I know it's nothing new at that point. It's not often I come across someone with who reads Lev Manovich or wants to wax about the symbolism of contemporary visual tropes haha. I bet we could have a good chat over a beer sometime were we ever in the same locale.  

On 8/18/2021 at 12:17 AM, ColonelAngus said:

*beats dead horse*

*rant over*

VEB inadvertently created quite the monster didn’t he. :P I didn’t mind when he did these types of shots back in 2014 or so, but it seems like so many aped his style. 

Edited by Iron Horse

To me it looks like those examples of early flat lays are just anecdotal evidence but did not manifest as a specific, dedicated trend in earlier days.

However, I see a connection to technical manuals/instructions, visual/graphic aids and technical drawings (exploded diagrams).

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago i sold some vintage 90's era Stussy goodies to a proxy service working on behalf of Japanese buyers, when the items sold, i thought wtf! buyer had like 46,000 +feedbacks, checked them out and they're a bit like Jauce who mirror ebay listings in JP via their own site and facititate the purchase, shipping ect..

Fuck knows why, i was offering international shipping?? :laugh:

Asking a favour for anyone with an instagram account 

I've had a lot of help with getting Nippers started and id like to thank everyone again ( I'm sure ill thank you lot 20 more times because ill always be grateful ) but if any of the members here have a spare 2 minutes could you please share an @nipperspw post in your stories or just in a post  , just trying to get a final push in instagram before the site launches in a few weeks 

Thanks for any help :D , getting really excited to finally properly start this .... been a long 15 months 

Edited by Flash

I try to avoid PayPal rates and just pay with my card (in PayPal). The bank apply whatever rate they wish which is always better than PayPal’s. I’ve always assumed PayPal get decent rates and just take a little bit for themselves- daylight robbery!

Check this crazy biz out..
My kid asked for an all black puffer jacket for back to school, packable enough to stuff into his Jansport rucky when he got there.. i ordered him one from Columbia, i think they're based in Switzerland, it looked fairly decent for the money, heat reflective inner, water resistant fabric and so on... anyway, fuck knows what happened but i got a confirmation email which was showing i had ordered a different colour, i called customer services and said "Ive just placed this order a few mins ago, here is the order number ***** (ok how can we help) well for some reason the order confirmation shows a different colour to what i thought i had ordered, i'm happy to accept this was possibly my mistake but could you change the order for the black jacket please" (No we can't do that) "Why not?" (because it's on the system) "Hfff, well if you can't help me can you put me through to somebody who can" (No you're in the right place, this is customer services) "Well you don't seem to be doing a very good job of rectifying my problem, so how would one go about canceling the order" (you can't it's on the system) "so what do i do?" (We have free returns so wait for it to arrive, print off the return form, repackage it, take it to a UPS drop shop, when it arrives back here we will inspect it and issue a refund in 10 to 15 days time, then you can order the correct colour) "But ive paid £4.90 for shipping and it hasn't been shipped, just change the colour!!!" (No, it can't be done) "It can't be done or you can't be bothered?"
What the fuck, ive never known such shockingly bad customer services, anyhow, Iit arrived and ive sent the fucker back and ordered one from Nike instead.

• 2 weeks later...