Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

On 6/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, Duke Mantee said:

What’s the psychology of making meat alternatives d’ye think? 

Not sure is this is quite what you're asking but my wife is a pescatarian so doesn't eat meat but it's because she doesn't like it so she has no interest in "realistic" meat alternatives, when I try to eat less meat it is for environmental/welfare reasons so the more meat-like the better for me.

That said because my wife does most of the cooking I do end up eating more tofu/veggie based things anyway.

Pescatarians are meat eaters … :unsure2:

Your situation does give another perspective tho’ - I guess I’m an omnivore, for want of a description, and I like the flavours and textures and smells of different foods. I love the fat from meats, something I haven’t seen replicated (despite claims of authentic textures and flavours from the lab folk creations), but that aside I CGAF what anyone else eats. Diets are chosen and imposed in equal measure I think and I respect the situation anyone has … however, I am curious as to why, for example, a vegan ‘hamburger’ is called a hamburger, vegan ‘bacon’ is called bacon - it seems daft to me, but as others have pointed out there may be wider marketing implications.

We were too poor to afford much meat growing up so I never really had it much growing up and was always put off by the smell of it.  
We are more fish than anything else.  
I’ve been plant based “not vegan I still use leather and I do eat honey” for over 10 years I think. 
these new super processed burgers are nasty to me. They smell disgusting like I remember beef smelling when it was cooked and I just don’t have any desire to eat something that is supposed to be just like meat or bleed like flesh. 
It’s good for people looking to transition from a meat to plant based diet I guess? 

What I can’t get behind is referring to all those non-dairy milk substitutes as milks

There’s nothing milk about an almond beverage or an oat beverage or a rice beverage

They taste fine in their own right—why not just call them what they are?

3 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Pescatarians are meat eaters … :unsure2:

Yep. I knew a guy who always referred to himself as ‘vegetarian’ even though he ate fish. Never understood why he didn’t just refer to himself as pescatarian. Oh, and he used to work for Green Peace as well lol. Maybe he thought he was earning woke bonus points so as not to offend anyone 

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

What I can’t get behind is referring to all those non-dairy milk substitutes as milks

There’s nothing milk about an almond beverage or an oat beverage or a rice beverage

They taste fine in their own right—why not just call them what they are?

Actually in the EU it's forbidden to call these substitutes milk so companies call them "oat drink" or "soy drink". 

1 hour ago, Dan_F said:

I was really into the the Simpsons years back, so I really appreciate this: 

77903AE6-E497-4853-A616-320667DD2CAA.jpeg

I like how they market themselves as 'nothing artificial' yet it's distributed in plastic bottles

There's a farm nr where i used to live (Tagg Lane Dairy) who sell raw unpasturised milk from their herd of Jersey's direct to the public, bring your own bottle type of affair, i bet their environmental impact is much less than Malk...i mean, the food-miles on the salt alone :rolleyes:

Edited by Double 0 Soul

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Actually in the EU it's forbidden to call these substitutes milk so companies call them "oat drink" or "soy drink". 

I believe there are many forces at work in the US to make this happen here. I dont care what it's called although if it requires companies to throw out packaging to reprint the word "drink" or "MALK", then it seems incredibly wasteful. 

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I like how they market themselves as 'nothing artificial' yet it's distributed in plastic bottles

There's a farm nr where i used to live (Tagg Lane Dairy) who sell raw unpasturised milk from their herd of Jersey's direct to the public, bring your own bottle type of affair, i bet their environmental impact is much less than Malk...i mean, the food-miles on the salt alone :rolleyes:

And filtered water is technically artificial 

9 hours ago, youngofthesoonest said:

I believe there are many forces at work in the US to make this happen here. I dont care what it's called although if it requires companies to throw out packaging to reprint the word "drink" or "MALK", then it seems incredibly wasteful. 

I'm not a Malk expert.. having only found out about it's existance yesterday :D but a lot of companies who produce stuff like milk, beer ect will produce a large vat of their liquid on site which is transported in a tanker to a bottling plant who bottle/can their product (larger companies like Heinz, Mars, Nestle and such will do it themselves) it's bottled, labeled and shipped to the distributor so Malk for instance won't have loads or even any packaging on site, the bottle could be a standard bottle that the plant manufactures which suits numerous products needs, the labels are printed as they're slapped on the bottle, to alter the labeling is just a case of altering the file saved on their computer system.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

18 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm not a Malk expert.. having only found out about it's existance yesterday :D but a lot of companies who produce stuff like milk, beer ect will produce a large vat of their liquid on site which is transported in a tanker to a bottling plant who bottle/can their product (larger companies like Heinz, Mars, Nestle and such will do it themselves) it's bottled, labeled and shipped to the distributor so Malk for instance won't have loads or even any packaging on site, the bottle could be a standard bottle that the plant manufactures which suits numerous products needs, the labels are printed as they're slapped on the bottle, to alter the labeling is just a case of altering the file saved on their computer system.

good to know. I look forward to buying almond drank but still call it almond milk bc I'm unable to change now.