Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, smoothsailor said:

One time though a few lads were screaming navy fuck off when we were still on the river.

Ah sorry about that (wasn't me for clarity, just on behalf of the region)

Although there's a 50/50 chance that's a friendly greeting in Newcastle 

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

I don’t think any less of you tho … but aye, that 1° of latitude brings a totally different attitude 

Just one degree north and you get allowed to wear long sleeved garments outside of February. I'm in 

Someone I know broke his hand in a bar brawl on the toon... ended up with a massive Postman Pat hand so had to finish the weekend drinking left handed

Said it wuz them stag do peeps wot started it... locals off the hook

Good job it wasn't on the cruiseboat

42 minutes ago, smoothsailor said:

Yes , if you mean cruiseboat turned into a club.

With a revolving dancefloor

Like I need another reason not to be able to stand up if I'm drunk enough to be on board that thing 

A Vietnamese friend of ours left a ziplock bag in the crucible pot next to our back door with 'Vietnamese Fruit' written on it, i think it's Mit (Jackfruit)

fullsizeoutput_30c6.jpeg

Ive been snacking on it since Friday, it tastes like honeydew melon with a texture akin to persimmon, anywho, i have shit-loads left and it'll be past its best in the next day or two if i don't do anything with it... Any suggestions?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

19 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Hmm, i can imagine that, it does have quite a soft fiberous texture.

I hate fucking meat substitutes, Quorn makes me physically ill (it genuinely does) whereas vegetables and mushrooms are just great!!!

My very point - love veg of all sorts, hate stuff made to be something it’s not. 

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I hate fucking meat substitutes, Quorn makes me physically ill (it genuinely does) whereas vegetables and mushrooms are just great!!!

I’ve heard this from a few people 00, my sis-in-law gets really sick within seconds of eating it. It’s got something to do with the pretend mushroom fungus stuff: 

https://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/what-not-to-eat/dangers-quorn-products/

As a veggie, some of the new vegan stuff is so realistic it’s too weird after not eating meat for years.

Edited by unders

1 hour ago, cungster said:

I don't know if you can find the right ingredients, but Malay/ Indonesian style jackfruit stew is the bomb!

This sounds right up my street! i can get all the ingredients locally

Just have a look at this recipe tho...

https://dailycookingquest.com/sayur-gori-jackfruit-stew-in-coconut-milk.html

..they suggest young jackfruit and what's in their bowl doesn't look like my jackfruit, it looks much younger like they've peeled the entire pod and chopped it up whereas what ive got are the much riper fruits from the pod which contain the seed.

fullsizeoutput_30d4.jpeg

Will it make any difference?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

51 minutes ago, unders said:

I’ve heard this from a few people 00, my sis-in-law gets really sick within seconds of eating it. It’s got something to do with the pretend mushroom fungus stuff: 

As a veggie, some of the new vegan stuff is so realistic it’s too weird after not eating meat for years.

The last bit is so true! Vegan fishsticks and chicken nuggets fall into this category.

ya they look way too ripe to be made into sayur gori or gudeg, fave dish from my hometown yogyakarta, but i think you can still make them into dried fruits (standard method i imagine) or fry em up into chips

13 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ah crap! ive already chucked most of the seeds away.. they were like massive slippy butter beans :D

blasphemy! u can also boil them up with a smattering of salt and eat them once they cool (after peeling the skin), taste a bit like water chestnut

2 hours ago, unders said:

What’s the psychology of making meat alternatives d’ye think? 

21 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

They'll be short lived I think. But people want a certain taste - but the ones who buy this stuff also know that factory farming is high in the betting odds to cause the next pandemic or kill off any usefulness that antibiotics have left. So there's ... um depending on how you view it ethical and/or practical reasons to not contribute to that industry, animal's feelings not even entering the equation.  

The real thing is when lab grown (aka "cultivated") meat becomes cheaper and more scalable. When that happens, within a decade or so a real slaughtered animal as sustenance will be as much a novelty as analog film in a world iPhones.

I think it was the CEO of Tyson (huge meat packing company) said something along the lines of "if we could make meat that were safer, cleaner and cheaper why on earth wouldn't we?"

58 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Personally speaking, I’m vegetarian for animal welfare reasons rather than environmental, so I enjoy meat (or did), so if I can get something similar and nothing was harmed in the process I’m all for it. However, I’ve become totally accustomed to the ‘rubbish’ meat alternatives that have been around for years that aren’t particularly meat-like, and now anything that’s realistic freaks me out - I guess it’s self-imposed conditioning. 

I think these new plant-based alternatives are all environmentally-driven and targeted at meat eaters to a greater extent than non meat eaters. It’s telling that a lot of them can be found in the meat aisle and not the vegetarian section where the crusties shop. 

Interesting viewpoints @AlientoyWorkmachine and @unders - thank you.

Given Tyson’s environmental track record I wouldn’t be at at all surprised he was keen to improve their reputation, but everyone has a preference, a viewpoint, a belief and that is how it should be.

My interest lies in the amount of resources expended in developing ‘sustainable’ and ‘environmentally friendly’ products/services/whatever. The methods of measurement are generally very selective and weighted towards those proponents and often cleverly placed to get the right level of response.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Given Tyson’s environmental track record I wouldn’t be at at all surprised he was keen to improve their reputation, but everyone has a preference, a viewpoint, a belief and that is how it should be.

Yea, I personally wouldn't ascribe any motivation to his statement other than increased profits - though I'm sure he will milk any PR win that he can given the company's direct role in essentially bringing one of medicine's best weapons to the edge of uselessness.

That's the thing though, once lab meat is systemized, it is very likely to be more profitable. Tyson and other companies are increasingly just starting to think of themselves as protein companies, and will just be bent on making the most protein at the cheapest price. With cultivated meats they eventually will need less human labor, expend far less resources on land/feed and all of the expenses that come with large ag and the messy, disease ridden unpredictability of real livestock. This isn't to say the lab stuff won't have it's costs - but competitive pricing is on the horizon where as just a few years ago it was north of $250 USD/ lb.  

I think a lot of the public will be wary, but look at GMO's and how they've transformed the food industry. They're pretty much only intentionally avoided by a select few people who tend to be, um, more well heeled even if they don't good empirical research to back up their choices. Once an average customer is in the supermarket looking at pound of cultivated meat for 5$ /lb and factory farm stuff at $8 or 10, and the taste is the same....well, I think that's gonna change a lot of things - totally regardless of any sort of ethical or idealistic predilections.

As an aside personally I don't mind the Beyond meat products my issue is it's just processed to high heaven and back and processed food really is something I try to generally steer clear of. Cereals, meat substitutes or otherwise.  

13 hours ago, unders said:

I think these new plant-based alternatives are all environmentally-driven and targeted at meat eaters to a greater extent than non meat eaters. It’s telling that a lot of them can be found in the meat aisle and not the vegetarian section where the crusties shop. 

This here, I'm in the same boat, mate.

Biggest thing for many people is the texture, which is hard to achieve at home. Most of the stuff gets extruded in some way and then formed and pressed into something resembling the fibrous texture of meats. Getting the taste almost right comes down to using amino acids and something like artificial hemoglobin, most of which can be cultured via microorganisms and algae as a biproduct. 

As @AlientoyWorkmachine said, most of the veggie meat and in the future lab-grown meat comes and will probably come from the meat-giants of now, for example Beyond Meat is a Tyson product and Nestle and Unileva are focusing on vegan products as a whole new branch.  They have the money to put the work behind all of it in the research directed in the direction and sponsor studies at the universities in some cases. 

Edited by Thanks_M8