Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Keep in mind the big wallets are mostly popular in Japan, which is still a cash society where you pay for almost everything in bills and coins. As someone who lived there, it was very useful. But after I moved back to the US I sold my long wallets as they were no longer practical for anything. Last year I got a Monk Made short wallet, which is perfect for my needs nowadays.

Edited by Cold Summer
Fixing stupid phrasing

5 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I feel as if these things have been outdated for years for most people - sort of like massive and ultimately pretty uncomfortable work boots - beautiful patina or not. I could never buy one because using it to the point where it would actually look good would just be supremely uncomfortable and inconvenient which...why?

There will always be the few that really need what the specific tool offers. But there's the very real practical fact that these will indeed cause back problems over time if you're sitting on it all the time. I've also gotten similar length of life from my smartphone as I ever did with a leather wallet fwiw. They can be pretty hearty if you're not one to need the newest thing. I was admittedly rough on the wallets last time I used them consistently. I still have a small one - it stays at home often these days and when it comes out is in a jacket. Haven't carried cash for...years now aside from the $50 I found on the ground some months ago. This is in part due to covid, but even before then ... not often. I understand wanting to stay on the DL but sometimes it feels like trying to stand up in the middle of a tsunami. Encryption helps. New tools for digital privacy are getting better.

Denim though...I don't see the utility ending anytime soon. 

I used to own an SDA Short back in 2009 (it's in the leathers thread)

...i sold it after 3yrs bacause i got sick of the constant patch repairs where the button kept breaking through the pocket, and i got bored of the same pocket fade on all of my jeans from this era also it was a tight squeeze in most of my back pockets, it went in alright but getting it out was something of a battle, contorting like an escapologist at the bar is not an easy look to pull off

i loved it but the impracticalities forced me to sell it.

prior to the pandemic, many restaurants i'd go to were still cash only so i used cash pretty regularly so having a bifold wallet was a must. Since 2020 however, it's pushed a ton of those businesses to do online order and take cashless payments so i definitely use cash less often. I still use my wild child wallet though because it feels really strange not having a wallet on me...it's one of the 4 things i always check for before leaving the house and I haven't gotten used to using my phone for payments so I still have the habit of pulling out my wallet when paying. 

I tried using a smaller card case for a while but always found that i needed just a few more slots than what it offered so i'll be using a wallet for the foreseeable future and if i need a wallet, i might as well get a nice one. 

Yeah, it's a bit like a watch in that respect, i like most here don't actually need a watch, ive got the time on the clock, on the laptop, on my phone, on the radio, on the oven, on the fridge, in the car... everywhere! and in reality apart from the occasional doctors/dentist apointment, at no point do i actually 'need' to be somwhere at a strict designated time but having worn the same watch night and day for the last 25yrs not wearing it is enough to cause a mini-freakout/breakdown :D i am tempted tho, when this watch does eventually die to recondition my brain into not wearing one, it's just comfort jewelry after all..

I used to be a pocket watch collector. Had a bunch of nice chains too. Worked my way back from railroad grade pieces like the Hamilton 992 to the pre 1900 key wind models. Actually I still have some. As 00 said once I started carrying a cell phone it felt pointless to carry a separate time piece. Too much pocket weight. Some artisan needs to start making custom cell phones fitted into antique pocket watch cases.

29 minutes ago, CSL said:

I used to be a pocket watch collector. Had a bunch of nice chains too. Worked my way back from railroad grade pieces like the Hamilton 992 to the pre 1900 key wind models. Actually I still have some. As 00 said once I started carrying a cell phone it felt pointless to carry a separate time piece. Too much pocket weight. Some artisan needs to start making custom cell phones fitted into antique pocket watch cases.

I can’t think of any reason why an Apple Watch or somesuch couldn’t be adapted into antique pocket watch case ... you might have went from collector to inventor 

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Wait until you ‘upgrade’ yourself to a digital avatar, you won’t need anything at all then, not even nice jeans :laugh2:

I look forward to paying through the nose for an authentic repro of a 2002 Second Life avatar, that's been lovingly recreated on one of the three remaining Pentium 4s that can still boot up.

2 minutes ago, el padre said:

I look forward to paying through the nose for an authentic repro of a 2002 Second Life avatar, that's been lovingly recreated on one of the three remaining Pentium 4s that can still boot up.

Sick fadez tho! It's not all bad in the future.2C318FE3-7488-493E-8021-43CD30203DED.thumb.jpeg.a4048acfe67abc3c366b5618da189d80.jpeg

I don't think high-end wallets will go away, I just think there's less demand for them now as opposed to 6-7 yrs ago. Nowadays there are tons of makers out there selling handmade leather goods, so if you have disposable income then I suppose a Flat Head long wallet might be practical.

I rarely carry cash and only use a front pocket wallet. I'm also not a fan of wallet fades so I try not to have so much stuff in my pockets. If I can avoid the George Costanza look then i'm good.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:07 PM, ColonelAngus said:

Any of you own any Freenote Cloth Hawaiian shirts? Surprisingly, the measurements on these look decent, as do the patterns. But, I’m borderline ocd when it comes to loud shirt designs and feel like I should be on the set of Magnum PI if I wore one. 

I have one of their Hawaiians from a year or 2 ago and I love it.  I own several Freenote shirts and have no complaints. I plan on getting one of this seasons Hawaiians, but haven't decided which one yet.  Which one are you considering?

^^

I was looking at one of their recent drops......looks like a Japanese style wave print. But again, I'm thinking it's not really my thing after all, only because I don't want to look like a tourist. I only expressed interest because my short sleeve button up shirt game is pretty weak.

I still use cash pretty heavily, but a few years ago I switched from a wallet to a little card case & it's been a great quality-of-life improvement

ID / CC / key card / health card go in the case, wad of cash gets folded & plopped straight in the pocket, no problem

Before cell phones I carried a bifold wallet (for cash) in one back pocket & a card case in the other. Pocket watch would be in the front right pocket. Neither was of an obtrusive thickness. F'in cell phones have f'ked eveyrthing up. 

I do own a couple of nice 'large' wallets, one from Hollows & two from Manifold. Perhaps I'll try them out again.

Not sure where to put this but thought it might help some people on here, I know it works in the UK but may work in US too.

If you have a Library card you can download the PressReader app for free, when you sign in you can read magazines through the app.

Clutch is probably the most appropriate for here but also has Lightning and 2nd and various others.