Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Nice series of photo's to be found here

Some beauties from Hulme, Robin Hood Gardens, Whitechapel Bell Foundry...just click on whatever tickles your fancy

Ireland, Scotland, Wales, International are under their own headers

I’ve got a few CRB publications - some of the photos are wonderful.

5C7985C3-6C06-4211-B5C6-A4D7C793A3EF.jpeg

The one above, albeit from an earlier time, reminds me of a story when the now defunct region of Strathclyde (which included Glasgow) banned the drinking of alcohol in public some 25 years ago.

The ban wasn’t long in place and as you’d imagine, the police were as keen to enforce it as the locals were to ignore it. Anyway, thousands of fans were walking along the road to the stadium to watch the League Cup final and a lot of them had their ‘cairy-oots’ (beer and/or cheap tonic wine) to drink on the way to the game.

One mounted cop picked out an offender and rode up to the lad and shouted down to him “Haw - you’re no allowed to drink on the street”

The guy, standing with his (open) can of Special Brew, looked up at the cop, then looked down at where he was standing and shouted back “Ah’m on the pavement ah’m no on the fucking street”

The cop moved his horse towards the guy then realised there was probably hundreds in the group and only one of him - turned his horse and trotted off. The guy and his mates carried on up to the game drinking the whole way :laugh2:

Edited by Duke Mantee

Ive just been looking for Who Cares the 1971 Nick Broomfield film about the Liverpool slum clearences, couldn't find it by any legit means so settled on the 1979 film which follows the rehousing 'Behind The Rent Strikes' filmed in Kirkby.. it's up on youtube with terrible audio quality or up on Vimeo with Greek subs.

You ever seen these films @MJF9  Ethel Singleton is such a hero!

@Double 0 Soul I didn't know about these films so thanks for the link.  Would really like to see Who Cares as well as watching the Kirkby film - not the Greek subs one though.  I can imagine Ethel's a character.  They had a lot of such in those tight knit communities.  I used to visit my Aunty when I was a kid who lived in one of the bullrings in the city.  I've heard them considered unsuccessful but can recall a real neighbourly spirit which the kids loved as there was always someone to play with close by.  They were often home to dock workers who needed easy access to the docks in the morning and afternoon for work.  I'm pretty sure the bullrings were also demolished.  I'll have a look for Who Cares - let us know if you find it.

Any of you own any Freenote Cloth Hawaiian shirts? Surprisingly, the measurements on these look decent, as do the patterns. But, I’m borderline ocd when it comes to loud shirt designs and feel like I should be on the set of Magnum PI if I wore one. 

I almost did. I ordered two of their shirts a couple of years ago, and just wasn't feeling the construction. One of them was a Hawaiian. YMMV. They seem like good folks and a lot of people like their stuff, it just didn't do it for me. 

Just looked at that super nice but super expensive wallet posted in TFH thread and it got me thinking, what's the future for such artisan leatherwork?.. i don't like the thought of being tracked by tech companies so ive never been on facebook, instagram ect.. i don't have a smart phone and i wasn't on the electoral roll till we moved house, ive got nothing to hide i just prefer to stay on the d-low as much as possible therefore i used cash for everything but since lockdown i haven't carried any money on me (homeless peeps and dealers of the present/future are going to be fucked, even buskers have contactless) i cycle to work so keep my daily carry to a minimum, keys in one pocket, (90's) phone and card in t'other, so if i, against my better judgement can succumb to the convenience of a cashless society i'm sure most of you will have done the same so how much longer will there be a market for these beautiful $1000 wallets?

I'd rather buy a cheap velcro one and have the £1000 in it 

But each to there own I guess , we cant be all that critical when we look at what  all of us on  here spend there money on 

Edited by Flash

They’ll probably still be available custom-made for anyone who wants one. I have a Flat Head Googies wallet with space for cash, cards, coins (although I keep my Oyster card in that pouch), which is reasonably thick although fits easily in a back pocket. I have a thinner Hillside wallet I use with shorts in the summer. In real life, I’ve never known anyone with one of those long wallets that stick out of a pocket and have an attachment for a chain, so they must be such an insignificant %age of any market share and whoever makes them probably makes other leather items too.

12ED9DCE-DEFE-426D-94C6-AE82BDF8559D.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

30 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I wasn't being critical, i think jeans still have a future as something for keeping your legs in, but these larger wallets have a pouch for change and a flap for notes, they'll last a lifetime but serve very little purpose the way society is heading regarding cash.

No mate , didn't think you were .... I just didn't want to come off as being critical 

Good point there OO and makes sense based on the obvious moves away from cash...

Though checking this out the Bank of England say there are £70 billion of notes in circulation (in the UK) which is 2x as much as a decade ago... used for everyday payments, in tills, ATMs, held overseas for illegal uses apparently, and still a fair amount hoarded and stuffed in matresses (even after Ken Dodd's passing)

I definitely carry less cash - though I do need it when I'm up north; in the big smokey city of London I hardly ever need it

Though wallets are surely gradually going the way of map pockets and watch pockets - for an eternal life on Sufu?!

From a seller’s perspective, I’d imagine they will be more than happy to take cash for as long as it’s possible, as credit card fees can eat up such a large percentage of their profit margins, particularly if they sell mostly low-value goods. A friend who runs a cafe in Seattle doesn’t allow card purchases for under $5 as his profit is basically wiped out in the exchange. I do think there are strong moves to wipe out cash usage in the West but can’t see it ever completely being eliminated; there are so many huge parts of the world where society is still largely cash based, and I believe it will stay that way as long as certain cultural structures (markets full of informal vendors, for example) stick around.

1 hour ago, chicote said:

From a seller’s perspective, I’d imagine they will be more than happy to take cash for as long as it’s possible, as credit card fees can eat up such a large percentage of their profit margins, particularly if they sell mostly low-value goods. A friend who runs a cafe in Seattle doesn’t allow card purchases for under $5 as his profit is basically wiped out in the exchange. I do think there are strong moves to wipe out cash usage in the West but can’t see it ever completely being eliminated; there are so many huge parts of the world where society is still largely cash based, and I believe it will stay that way as long as certain cultural structures (markets full of informal vendors, for example) stick around.

Japan is still a cash society and they are obviously JP made so makes sense, right? We (some of us) just covet them as an extension of the brand's we are into. Actually the only place I've seen wallets like that in abundance is BKK,  they love them over there. Tenjin Works,  TFH in particular.

Asia is making moves toward cashless as well, we have Apple Pay, Line Pay, paying with your commuter card, and others, but it will be a long while yet before it happens seeing how many small businesses are still cash only. 

I think places like the US will also hit a stumbling block with the strip club issue. How are guys going to tip their favorite dancers? Or make it rain? I suppose they could swipe their NFC wrist implant at a machine and get stripper Monopoly bucks that are only good in the club, but it’s a pressing matter.

14 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I wasn't being critical, i think jeans still have a future as something for keeping your legs in, but these larger wallets have a pouch for change and a flap for notes, they'll last a lifetime but serve very little purpose the way society is heading regarding cash.

I feel as if these things have been outdated for years for most people - sort of like massive and ultimately pretty uncomfortable work boots - beautiful patina or not. I could never buy one because using it to the point where it would actually look good would just be supremely uncomfortable and inconvenient which...why?

There will always be the few that really need what the specific tool offers. But there's the very real practical fact that these will indeed cause back problems over time if you're sitting on it all the time. I've also gotten similar length of life from my smartphone as I ever did with a leather wallet fwiw. They can be pretty hearty if you're not one to need the newest thing. I was admittedly rough on the wallets last time I used them consistently. I still have a small one - it stays at home often these days and when it comes out is in a jacket. Haven't carried cash for...years now aside from the $50 I found on the ground some months ago. This is in part due to covid, but even before then ... not often. I understand wanting to stay on the DL but sometimes it feels like trying to stand up in the middle of a tsunami. Encryption helps. New tools for digital privacy are getting better.

Denim though...I don't see the utility ending anytime soon.