Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

My kid went back to school last week and instantly gave me a stinker of a cold, having not been exposed to the cold virus for the last year my body dunt know wtfucks hit it so i'm feeling wank having a day on the sofa.. it's been pretty good so far... Ive already made my way through 2x podcasts, one about the Rise Above Movement (nazi fight club) and one about cocaine godmother Griselda Blanco, ive been reading through the (redandwhite, friendlychemist, lucydrop) murder/scam transcripts preceding the final days of The Silk Road, watched a docu about that f'kin crazy nut John McAfee and i'm half way through a film, Over The Edge, it's 70's denim galore.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Good shout on Over the Edge - I'll watch that when the kids aren't around... don't want them getting any rad ideas

We're re-watching the Godfather atm - just got through the first over two nights - it has a nice pace and still great viewing

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

My kid went back to school last week and instantly gave me a stinker of a cold, having not been exposed to the cold virus for the last year my body dunt know wtfucks hit it so i'm feeling wank having a day on the sofa.. it's been pretty good so far... Ive already made my way through 2x podcasts, one about the Rise Above Movement (nazi fight club) and one about cocaine godmother Griselda Blanco, ive been reading through the (redandwhite, friendlychemist, lucydrop) murder/scam transcripts preceding the final days of The Silk Road, watched a docu about that f'kin crazy nut John McAfee and i'm half way through a film, Over The Edge, it's 70's denim galore.

Actually sounds like having that cold is a good thing - not sure whether to wish a quick recovery or a long drawn out ‘sickness’ ...

It looks like as from January this year JD Sports have taken over (Manchester retailer) Oi Polloi

Looking at companies house data, Steve and Nige stepped down as directors on Jan 26th and the same day JD Sports Fashion Plc took significant control, cor blimey!

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05171531/filing-history

JD’s a beast. Although they do seem to respect the businesses they buy and don’t bastardise them - Footpatrol hasn’t  changed noticeably (to me) since they were bought. Bigger online presence, but that could just be a sign of the the times. Mike Ashley on the other hand...

I also spotted PE house Carlyle is about to pick up End: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-22/carlyle-said-to-near-deal-for-u-k-fashion-retailer-end-clothing

18 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I think (but don't quote me) that JD distribute the trainers to End, Oi and other 'independant' retailers.

Wern't the guys behind JD Sports 80's casuals and set JD up when they were teenagers, the first Athleisure store was meant to be an offshoot selling 'menswear' or casual brands but it got swallowed up and became just another highstreet sports shop.

Oh ok, that interesting - I imagined that all these stores have their own accounts but that would be a collosal pain in the arse for the likes of Nike, Adidas, etc so makes sense to farm it out to big distributors. 

I haven’t a clue about the origins of JD other than it was a chavs paradise - I bought a transparent plastic Reebok hoody from there when I was a lad. I thought I was the bollox, but looked a dick in retrospect. 

JJB on the other hand was pure class. The one in Merry Hill had a basketball court inside the store - it was the sports  equivalent of stepping into Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. 

Can you remember a shop called Athleisure @unders im sure it was short lived under the JD banner but i can't find any store front images, probably 90's era?

Edit- found it (or mention of it) thought i was going nuts! 

'AthLeisure, Hillstreet Shopping Centre, Middlesbrough'

Y'know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you find your answers in TeessideLive 86 Brands You'd Know About If You Were Cool in 90's Teeside

:D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

The pictures in that article are like some horrendous flashback. Dodgy curtains and kappa trackies (bonus points for poppers on your bottoms) just about sums up my childhood. 

Found this by the way. Loads of detail and mention of Athleisure.
https://www.encyclopedia.com/books/politics-and-business-magazines/john-david-group-plc

JD Sports bought out Hip in Leeds around 2015. Hip had been independent from when they started c1987 and had a pretty eclectic mix back in the day. JD later opened another Hip in Nottingham and I think that’s as far as they have gone. I’ve noticed more mainline stuff and more online marketing. Not unexpected for a corporate rather than what was originally two blokes who loved clothes and had a good eye for them who decided to run a clothing business.

Edited by MJF9
Fix font size

Remember the mid 80's ski jacket craze? i had two of them when i was a kid, not that i ever went skiing, i think it was brought back to the UK by the posh twits a la, Naf-Naf, Chipie ect

One was quite subtle, made by Cabrini (maybe from JD Sports?) it had a blue outer and gray inner with a zip neck gusset so you had to take off over your head which was fine when i got it but once i had a growth spurt it was akin to escaping from a straight jacket. :D

The other one Campri wasn't quite so subtle, it was a similar colour to the pale green Pony NFL Linebackers and it had a peaked hood which attatched via snap fasteners so passing kids would snatch your hood and run off with it...

I went skiing with my school in about 1982 - Passo del Tonale in Italy. The school lent me some salopettes and for my upper body my parents procured a grey ‘Rodeo’ (from C&A) ski jacket. It was very plain and reasonably warm but I just knew it was from C&A and was suitably embarrassed :blush:.

For apres-ski I wore 10-hole black DM boots and an aran wool jumper my mum knitted for me. It was great but she started it about a year previously, then stopped after one sleeve was completed and continued with a slightly different shade of wool. To cover this up she dyed it but it simply had one sleeve in a slightly different shade of light green. It was a great jumper though!

I used to get dragged around C&A when i was a kid, my mum could bribe me to briefly behave myself with the promise of a ride on the coin operated black and gold John Players Special  F1 car in the stairwell, i even remember saying to my dad that i was going to smoke JPS when i grew up, it was just so freekin cool!

Thankfully targeted subliminal tobacco advertising on childrens rides didn't quite pan out..

This was the one i had which you atke off over your head, but whereas this is black/green inner mine was blue/gray inner (that's not me btw) :D

The hood rolled up and tucked into the collar

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/113420411256_/Vintage-Retro-80%E2%80%99s-Campri-Ski-Jacket-Medium.jpg

I can't find the green one which is a damn shame cos it was grim af!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

11 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

^wtf! there's even mention of 'Geordie Jeans, The Cleveland Centre, Middlesbrough'

I thought this was a Vic & Bob creation rather than a genuine shop

That's hillarious :D:D

Somewhere at my parents house there's a picture of me in actual Geordie Jeans 

WAYWT '84

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I went skiing with my school in about 1982 - Passo del Tonale in Italy. The school lent me some salopettes and for my upper body my parents procured a grey ‘Rodeo’ (from C&A) ski jacket. It was very plain and reasonably warm but I just knew it was from C&A and was suitably embarrassed :blush:.

For apres-ski I wore 10-hole black DM boots and an aran wool jumper my mum knitted for me. It was great but she started it about a year previously, then stopped after one sleeve was completed and continued with a slightly different shade of wool. To cover this up she dyed it but it simply had one sleeve in a slightly different shade of light green. It was a great jumper though!

You had it rough daaan sarf

3 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Stroud is the best place to live in the UK apparently. I seem to see a new list published every month by a different organisation naming a different place though!

I've always known this to be true, unfortunately we have a steady influx of 'Londoners' moving down our way ;)

36 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Stroud is the best place to live in the UK apparently. I seem to see a new list published every month by a different organisation naming a different place though!

I had a pretty good time growing up there, and because of the lack of any good clubs there were loads of house parties or gatherings, some in the surrounding forests and an old quarry that were walking distance from Stroud (no idea where as I was mostly levitating there), all with great sound systems withl drum n bass as the music of choice (thanks to Bristol).