Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

25 minutes ago, Broark said:

I'm looking for a pair of USN utility trousers, who all currently offers them and which are your favorites?
Looking for a lighter weight denim, patch pockets (preferably two back pockets as opposed to one), donut buttons, tonal stitching, etc.
These Mister Freedom utility trousers have caught my eye so far, but I'm still searching and any recommendations would be appreciated.
Utes-Denim-71.jpg

Orslow makes a utility pant that might fit your criteria.

@JDelage those were definitely part of the inspiration, seemingly sold out most places right now. Also would prefer punched buttons instead of sewn on. 
Actually the real inspiration was the recently posted Circle A D33’s by @LazyS, I have so many traditional 5 pocket jeans that I’d like something to change it up a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Broark said:

I have so many traditional 5 pocket jeans that I’d like something to change it up a bit. 

That's exactly what was behind my last 4 purchases (2 Tender 132, and 2 FW denim pants).

Seamen’s trousers are close, just would prefer metal buttons to sewn on. And I don’t particularly like the painted size label either. 

I started looking at FW but most of the options available have lots of extra bells and whistles I’m not looking for. Don’t need too many extra pockets and all that.

They need the extra pockets to keep all those bells and whistles in!

Shame about the TCB - I have the shorts version that have metal donut buttons. Perhaps you can email them with a special custom button request?

3 hours ago, Broark said:

Seamen’s trousers are close, just would prefer metal buttons to sewn on. And I don’t particularly like the painted size label either. 

I started looking at FW but most of the options available have lots of extra bells and whistles I’m not looking for. Don’t need too many extra pockets and all that.

The 1022008 are very simple (and authentic) but sewn on buttons 

06AE3A7A-1F4E-4FC1-9AB0-9E81F3DDA1A3.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

Those are nice Duke but i don’t think I could live with the one back pocket. I’m left handed and tend to keep my wallet in my back left pocket...
I’m sure Timeworn/At Last/Butcher Products likely has something, if only I could figure out the lot number.

6 hours ago, Broark said:

This is what often puts me off FW when looking at their pants. Though the 1022008's are great, there's usually too many additional details like straps and buttons at the hem, or extra pockets randomly placed on the thigh. I get they're making these items based on historical specimens, but I find them a little too busy. 

@Broark  The larger sizes are sold out but I had considered getting the Buzz Ricksons or MASH versions. You could always get those add on suspender buttons and use them for the fly? The sewn on buttons held up fine for me though, I believe they were nos ones from the 30s.

I found the little repair pouch they came with a little while ago, the lightweight denim is surprisingly durable

3oLQ8oV.jpg

IkYEAfA.jpg

AIFsKlR.jpg

Those options both look nice @LazyS, good tip.
I am probably overthinking the button thing, I just prefer punched through buttons so that I don't have to worry about them ever coming loose.
It's a shame that Circle A is no longer around, looks like he made some nice stuff.
Also Yawara Miura made some similar pants awhile ago, not sure if they're available any longer or not.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_jr0XVlj9K/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B75izPWFkFM/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_1BOwVphJ4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAt1uTUjMuA/

I've seen some originals that have replaced buttons so I see where you're coming from.

I think he had to close do to illness? hope he's doing alright.  I really wanted the field jacket he made (but might have only been a prototype)DSCN7539.JPGDSCN7543.JPG

Those YM ones look nice, does anyone  happen to know what the vertical stitch above the middle of the back pocket is for? I noticed the TCB pair have it to.

I wash my work jeans outside-out and wash my home jeans inside-out but saying that ive worn 2 identical pairs of jeans over a 2yr period, one for home and one for work, washed them both at 6mth intervals and haven't noticed a great deal of difference re indigo loss.

If you wash frequently i would def turn them inside out, if you wash less frequently i don't think that it makes much difference, the amount of wear which you put in will affect the fading much more than a less frequent washing regime.

I was reading some hilarious middle class article in last week's Guardian "Inspire your Kids With Fun Activities During Lockdown" or something of a similar ilk

Here are some of the suggestions...

1) Watch Fantasia-  it's a brilliant way to introduce your child to Bach, Beethoven & Stravinsky.. fuck me! i have all on introducing my kid to Roots Manuva!

2) For pre-schoolers try Mazaam, a charming educational game with classical music... Yeah! fuck Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom

3) Watch Malcolm X.. and what's wrong with 'Do The Right Thing' may i ask?

4) Arte TV- an excellent and free source of films, documentaries and arts programming mostly in French and German... Wonderful! my kid loves documentaries on the arts, watching them in French and German can only enhance the experience.

5) Watch the BBC World Service, this week they've covered subjects ranging from maternal mortality in Nigeria to poor urban design in Europe.... Yes yes!

6) For the little ones Inspirational Puppet Theatre's production of Icelandic Fairytales... i'm sure Punch & Judy's portrayal of domestic violence would be more in tune with our times

7) Watch The Railway Children because it's comforting to hear a Yorkshire accent...

8) For all ages, patronise the good people of Yorkshire (alright, i made that one up)

9) Watch Gandhi and Doctor Zhivago...Instead of Spiderman-Into the Spiderverse???

Who the fuck are these weirdo's!!!

I broke and recently subscribed to disney+ to submit the kiddos to the stars wars triple trios...

but no, no, no to fantasia... I once, as a young pre-yuppie hassled my family to go see it as a child [cos of the poster; had a cool demon]: was so very disappoint then... can only imagine the yute of today's capacity to endure it now...

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:
Spiderman-Into the Spiderverse???

and yes: what a movie! spider-ham needs more air time, as much as rocket in the guardians of the galaxy movies...