Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Ive been scouring Internet Archive this week, it's hard going and time consuming but it's not like we've got fuck all else to do.

For instance here's 100+ years of Editor & Publisher digitally archived, so if you check the 'text contents' panel to the left, and use the search facility, keywords such as Levi Strauss, Denim Pants ect it will pull up evry time those words appeared in text during 100yrs of news print, as i say, it's slow going hampered by other folks who're called Mr Levi's and a lot of patent applications but just this morning ive been reading about Levi's redundant female Mexican workers protesting the Levi factory and their campaign prompting customers to cut off both tabs and patch of their existing Levi's and mail them to SF in solidarity... also the 1992 lawsuit when levi's tried to sue Jordache for the use of the numbers 101 on their jeans, come on Jordache, we all know Lev's have the god given right to all numbers..

Here's an example of the search results, you can zoom or just read the exerpts to the left..

https://archive.org/details/sim_editor-publisher_1948-03-20_81_13/page/52/mode/2up?q=denim+jeans

Edited by Double 0 Soul

1. Levi’s are litigious. It’s not about brand protection, it’s about crushing the market.

2. They’ve never been famed for their workplace culture - and I’m being very kind.

3. They don’t make very good jeans - not even when they copy their own designs.

Close them down ...

:laugh:

Edited by Duke Mantee

Odd thing is the Freenote version of the flannel is almost double the cost of the other two.

3 hours ago, JDelage said:

The Freenote version has hand warmers and is partially lined, which certainly makes it more expensive to make.

Ah, didn't realize that.

16 hours ago, discwork said:

I have a shirt and t-shirt from Freenote. I really like the look and fabric of both, but they're pretty much unwearable when untucked. I'd scoop up much more Freenote gear if they reworked their cuts.

I’d also give them a try if they reworked the fit of their shirts. They’ve put out some interesting stuff in the past but I always had to pass. I’m not a shirt tucker nor do I like the look. 

My missus watches some lifestyle show on Netflix called bling empire about very rich Asians. ... One of the people featured is Cherie Chan who is the neice of the so called godfather of denim? Multi millionaire owner of a denim company? 

Any ideas, Google didn't bring anything up before I gave up?

@JDelage I was laughing yesterday at having barely escaped another seattle snowpocalypse, as it was 60 degrees and sunny in albuquerque! Then overnight a blizzard came in and set me straight, it’s now 8 degrees with 30 mph winds. Found a massive tumbleweed hitched to my car this morning! :P

E7D49995-85E9-4C7C-A13B-751BDE8D69D9.thumb.jpeg.0bdd34fcb8340146c8c842d134dcf36d.jpeg

Seattle is sounding pretty nice right now :unsure:

Yes, it actually looks lovely, we're well stocked, and the power is on. Also, there's no wind and the temp is just cold enough to make things interesting. So, no complaining, other than the delayed denim delivery from Hoosier. First world problem if there ever was one... :laugh:

Just remember four wheel drive isn’t four wheel stop as Texans learned a few days ago!

On another note, I got the second dose of the Moderna Covid vaccine last week and wanted to report back. Definitely had side effects this time. Got the shot at noon and by 7 that night my arm was swollen and very sore, worse than the first time and that took a day or two to come on. That night I had chills and a low grade fever. The next day I felt super fatigued- as bad as the worst I felt when I had cancer. Just absolutely wiped out and no motivation to do much of anything. 
By the next day, I was back to normal and feeling a lot better. The day after that I got up early and did a medium length trail run. So while intense, the side effects were short lived and certainly worth it in my opinion vs the unknown and possibly much longer lasting side effects from covid itself. Though who knows, maybe I’ll grow a tail in a month or two!

Had some free time during the snow day today so I decided to troubleshoot (or at least learn about) this old clock-radio I got at a flea market for a few bucks. It was advertised as “working” but that’s only half-true; the radio would come on but not when the alarm went off, and the clock itself (the most useful function) didn’t appear to be working at all.73DCECC2-67A6-47BE-B0C8-E31BB87AEA40.thumb.jpeg.6a11935fd028a653da7277e62c752430.jpeg

Nice, isn’t it?? I was really looking forward to having a proper jarring buzz to wake up to rather than the soft singsongy digital alarms our phones provide us nowadays, but unless I use that to wake myself first, and then go crank the alarm on this clock, it’s not gonna happen just yet.

5FA14FF2-886A-414C-B2F4-07B45F0EE3FD.thumb.jpeg.1bd5f4cdd9e048ee0f1085b9354c4e4f.jpeg

About twenty screws and knobs later, I got to the internals of the thing. Pretty wild that so much engineering went into something that performs such a basic set of functions, at least by our standards. The whole clock system is driven by a set of gears as I’m sure you all who frequent the watch thread are aware of. This one, however, is powered by some sort of motor that’s hidden away to the right of the clock dials. At this point I’m not sure how to access it - let me reiterate how tightly packed everything is in here :wacko:

CA847812-9DE1-4F27-AD7A-0E127B100FF1.thumb.jpeg.2c081f77f6557aa0e5c3495f0b14b68a.jpeg

Look at all of the crap packed into this little circuit board! I’m no engineer by any means but I can’t even imagine how someone who was would be able to tell all this stuff apart.

B2917984-F6DF-4C9F-9333-741D5E2A63E3.thumb.jpeg.8a7668b14831baa21e420dcb76a828ea.jpeg

Something I love about electronics from this era is that you will have stuff like that circuit board coexisting with some ridiculously simple analog mechanism like this little string setup here. If you follow the string over to the left side, you’ll see it’s got a small piece of metal sitting atop it. That piece of metal is hooked to the little dial that shows what your radio is tuned to, and at the other end, it’s tied to a little spring on that rightmost wheel. The spring stretches ever so slightly as you spin the dial from one end of the frequency band to the other, I guess so as to keep the proper tension on the string so that the radio stays on the right station. So cool!

D2B4DF35-5941-4012-BCC6-1F407D41C158.thumb.jpeg.9e29fc87c150672b20f06ab7ffdf2fec.jpeg

Anyway, after having some looking around I got one part of the clock working again: the snooze button. The button itself presses down on the close end of that cream-coloured lever, which then locks it into the small gear. The gear is connected through a series of other smaller gears to the “sleep” timer knob on the clock face. Each turn of the knob locks the snooze gear onto a different track that’s spinning at a different speed, sort of like how a manual gearbox operates in a car. That way, once the sleep timer is up, the cream coloured lever slips off the gear again and activates the alarm.

Here’s a short video demonstrating how that works, admittedly not shot very well lol, but now I have the radio unplugged and am waiting for the capacitors to discharge before working on it again.

Anyway, this is definitely nonsense but maybe some of you might find it interesting. Not much else better to do on a weekend these days :P

edit: found the problem! I took apart the motor to oil the internals and discovered this:

D32E6857-F539-4C67-BD6F-906BB37078E7.thumb.jpeg.f76e47304ff314d995476b63d6957641.jpeg

That damn little gear is missing a tooth lol. Unless anyone knows where I might be able to find a replacement for this I might just be out of luck here.

Edited by chicote