Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Anyone got any interesting laser disc reminiscences? 

Well....I remember using a laser disc ("the ten commandments", rented) as a frisbee....

It does not end well....

I guess the concept of "breaking" is pretty foreign to the little me :unsure:

The vast majority of the videos in my sex ed classes in middle & high school were on laser discs... the teachers couldn’t help themselves but to wave each disc around like a signed jersey, and some would field questions from the audience about the format... honestly it could go on for some time because we all (teachers and students) were pretty invested in limiting the amount of time we had to watch and discuss these films, all of which were straight reaganite neocon abstinence first propaganda. it’s funny that within my generation (I’m 25) this is pretty much the universal experience people have with laserdisc .. it’s kind of surprising that other kinds of films were put out on it!!

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

While mooching around a derelict brick works/crack den with my kid at the weekend, amongst the condom wrapers and Wotsit packets we found this absolute gem of 90's market stall chav-wear.

It's reversible with a fleece on the inside (don't worry i was wearing gloves) i couldn't find a label with country of manufacture but i did find a name tag saying ' Property of Geeman' if found please return to Birmingham (posh bit)

We also found a suitcase full of VHS tapes, my kid was absolutely flabbergasted  when i pulled out some of the tape and said 'this is how we used to watch films when i was your age' ...yet he accepts without question that i can download films from the internet and transfer them to flash drive.

P1030226.JPG

P1030228.JPG

P1030229.JPG

P1030231.JPG

I just spat me tea out :D

Been looking for that everywhere,  it's my Sunday best! Knew some thieving northern monkey would have had it away 

While mooching around a derelict brick works/crack den with my kid 

'Property of Geeman' if found please return to Birmingham (posh bit)

Obviously the distraction caused by ahem grainy memories of ahem grainy adolescent experiences with ahem grainy tapes and discs meant the two burning question remain unanswered... 

@Double 0 Soul what were you and mini-OO doing mooching around a derelict brick works/crack den? 

@Geeman when you get the jacket back, does it allow you to tick anything else off your lasses' christmas list? Potential result here pal!

:P

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

@Double 0 Soul what were you and mini-OO doing mooching around a derelict brick works/crack den?

We went on a bike ride through the Loxley Valley, i was showing the boy one of my old rose tinted cycle trails where i used to ride as a kid. We set off along Myers Grove Lane past what was Pinegrove Country Club where i used to play tennis but they've demolished it and converted it into houses...carried on up to the old Robin Hood Pub, i was telling the boy that kids wer'nt allowed in the boozers but on long..long hot summer nights we could sit outside the Robin Hood which had a little tuckshop where kids could bang on a wooden hatch and be served with CurlyWurly's and such, when we got there it had been converted into fucking flats.. carried on our cycle ride through the valley en route to Dam Flask Resevouir and passed the old brickworks, in the face of strong local opposition they're trying to demolish it and build 300 houses, there wasn't much to see other than Geeman's snazzy jacket and a few high viz vests which we found in a locker room..vandals had tore the works to pieces but the boy had fun collecting up the dregs of discarded spray cans and painting his name (and most of his hands) here and there.

I think i posted an explore a few years ago in the brickworks over on Denimbro before the vandals ripped it to pieces...btw ive just checked that old forum to find pg339 of the music thread, good grief there's more activity under tier3 of lockdown :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Eh I’ll rephrase. I’m interested in washing a one wash pair in the tub first but machine dry in a front loader before a first wear to get the shrink out.  I’m concerned about streaking from the dryer as I’m unable to dry outside right now due to no access to clothesline and weather.

Edited by mlwdp

Why not just put them through the wash and spin before the dryer?
I think if you put a freshly tub-soaked pair straight into the dryer you might have some issues, the jeans will be really heavy I'd imagine and would take forever to dry.

if streaks are a concern at any stage of the washing/drying process, turn the jeans inside out. That way, there's nothing much for the denim to rub against except itself. I find jeans often emerge from the dryer with vertical creases from the knee down where the leg has been flattened against the drum – I'd prefer that not to be a faded line, so I turn them inside out and let the subsequent crease relax with wear (usually gone over the course of a day) or iron out if necessary.

Occasionally I'll run a pair through the dryer without worrying about it if they're thoroughly set in their fades and have some marbling going on... Tender's denim responds well to this – any lines or streaks seem to add to its character. Wouldn't do it on a fresh pair, though.

I often run naked across football, rugby and cricket pitches without getting caught by police or stewards, despite Benny Hill style chases. I suppose, overall, that streaking has never caused me any real issues either.

Other than Seamen/deck style trousers from TCB, Dawson Denim etc.Why is it so hard to find brands making light weight quality  jeans (up to 10 oz)? Does anyone else find jeans above 10 oz and slimmer than a loose straight cut uncomfortable to wear?

35 minutes ago, : ) said:

Other than Seamen/deck style trousers from TCB, Dawson Denim etc.Why is it so hard to find brands making light weight quality  jeans (up to 10 oz)? Does anyone else find jeans above 10 oz and slimmer than a loose straight cut uncomfortable to wear?

Nope, I’m ok with it and after a few wears and washes everything softens up. Where do you live? I can imagine warmer climes being difficult. 

If you like lightweight jeans here are a couple more options:

https://www.ware-house.co.jp/?pid=147491437

https://www.ooe-yofukuten-shop.com/?pid=131425180

Ooe lighweight options... following on the good shout by Unders... I have Ooe x Bandanna Almanac and Ooe can put together a lightweight jean....

These are on pre-order before end October... https://standardandstrange.com/collections/ooe-yofukuten/products/pre-order-mechanics-overalls-10-5oz-cone-mills-selvedge-denim

Did anyone see that Storyville documentary on BBC4 last night about the artist behind Pepe the Frog and his quest to reclaim his imagery from the far-right, i'd never heard of said frog till last night...it was madness

Saw it and agree. That little frog has been on a tragic journey. It feels like we get pretty decent coverage of what’s going on the other side of the pond but the Pepe story seems to have completely alluded us, unless you take time to bother with those 4channers and other associated misfits. It was a pretty good warning to not delve into the net too much - I’ll stick to Sufu, Yahoo auctions and the Warhouse staff blog. 

I’m looking to buy a cordless combi drill/driver. Don’t want to pay more than £100 but would potentially go up to £150 at a push if it was really worth it. Any recommendations or brands that stand above the rest I should be considering?

Had this Makita for a good few years and it’s great for round the house jobs , tried bringing it to work for a bit and the batteries didn’t last 

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/makita-g-series-18v-2-x-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-with-74-accessories?gclid=CjwKCAjw0On8BRAgEiwAincsHCJRl6qg48xA74nU4E-QssFcc7LzJ3U0qEkN1wjlgemH1w4kUBC77RoCJgMQAvD_BwE

my mate swears by parkside , it’s a brand carried by Lidl and I think a combi from them is about £80 . He’s one of those fellas who has a tool for everything ... shed like Aladdin’s cave so they must be decent enough 

Edited by Flash

Bosch makes a few of those, found GSB in a quick search (https://www.bueroshop24.de/bosch-gsb-12v-15-professional-akku-schlagbohrschrauber-12-0-v-149254?srpId=289e0bbe3e0336679e85f333384414d7&lkz=225732&obt=14&storeType=B2C&utm_source=billiger&utm_medium=psm&utm_campaign=psm, on sale rn for ~50€, shipping to the UK, you're probably at around 60€). They separate their lines into a blue and green one, green is home and garden, blue is professional. 
Only ever heard good things about those. 

On 10/28/2020 at 7:07 AM, unders said:

Saw it and agree. That little frog has been on a tragic journey. It feels like we get pretty decent coverage of what’s going on the other side of the pond but the Pepe story seems to have completely alluded us, unless you take time to bother with those 4channers and other associated misfits. It was a pretty good warning to not delve into the net too much - I’ll stick to Sufu, Yahoo auctions and the Warhouse staff blog. 

will watch it soon... fwiw have spent my 4chan time watching that cute green face move from the feels-good-man of pee-ing pants down to slowly become the face of hate... weird also is looking at origins of boogaloo bois, q-anon and the fact that founder of proud boys [male chauvinist oathing antifa hunting league] is also co-founder of vice magazine... internetz is serious bizznezz...

1 hour ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

weird also is looking at origins of boogaloo bois, q-anon and the fact that founder of proud boys [male chauvinist oathing antifa hunting league] is also co-founder of vice magazine... internetz is serious bizznezz...

Think i heard something about this on a podcast, might have been Behind the Bastards, can't quite remember..

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m looking to buy a cordless combi drill/driver. Don’t want to pay more than £100 but would potentially go up to £150 at a push if it was really worth it. Any recommendations or brands that stand above the rest I should be considering?

I use Festool for ease and Milwaukee for heavier work but i think both will be more than you're wanting to spend/overkill

Ive got an old DeWalt from 20 years ago which is still going strong, DeWalt used to be a high end brand but nowadays you can buy them for peanuts.

I think this will do you or this if you want to spend a little more but shop around, it's amazing how much the prices fluctuate.