Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I don't know about the community (I'm not really on Instagram) but all this flat laying bullshit does my head in. What's the point of folding and placing your clothes in some kind of composition? Wear the fucking clothes or don't bother.

It feels like all this tagging of brands is going overboard a bit as well. I don't know if people suddenly expect to get free stuff if they push certain brands or if it's just about recognition. It's nice enough to have a decent idea what people are wearing if you see something you like but other than that it's fairly pointless. 

Edited by Ar_thor

It would be better if the jeans were laid out from darkest to lightest in a clockwise order to show the fading of denim over time whilst the shoes could be conversely ordered from dark to light to reveal the chronological aging  effects.
OR SOME OTHER RIDICULOUS BOLLOCKS :laugh2:

I agree that the whole thing seems absurd, but let’s not pretend we’re all too different—Duke, you’ve spent the last three months putting all your clothes up on mannequins in a specially-lit room just to take photos of them

Don’t get me wrong, I’m perfectly happy subscribing to this flavor of doublethink, and I’ve greatly appreciated the cataloging of all things Freewheelers, as I do most content posted here, but the argument does go both ways…

edit: All that having been said, let’s please, please never start posting “flat lays” on here

Edited by julian-wolf

I think it’s worth mentioning that the picture posted is most likely sponsored in some form or another. The guy is a professional, commercial photographer, and he’s also the guy that did the latest Eastman catalogue. 

I personally have unfollowed him a while ago because his content is the most repetitive I’ve seen on IG, but I think he’s just doing his job and probably flat lays of this type give him the most likes etc

Those types of Instagram posts and users seem to reflect a much different audience and much different corresponding values (compared those in the community here). The "flat lay" thing, especially with the dude sitting in the middle of concentric circles of his belongings, tries to testify to or champion his curatorial talents at the expense of what makes the clothes interesting or admirable. To wit, it's all about him and not about the clothes.

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

I agree that the whole thing seems absurd, but let’s not pretend we’re all too different—Duke, you’ve spent the last three months putting all your clothes up on mannequins in a specially-lit room just to take photos of them

Don’t get me wrong, I’m perfectly happy subscribing to this flavor of doublethink, and I’ve greatly appreciated the cataloging of all things Freewheelers, as I do most content posted here, but the argument does go both ways…

edit: All that having been said, let’s please, please never start posting “flat lays” on here

A conceit is a comparison between two very unlike things, whose dissimilarity is very obvious - that’s not doublethink. I hope the next step won’t be to see rigid on camera poses as mannequin like; jeez it’d be almost like an upright flat-lay ...

But that’s just my perspective (I think @MileHighEvertonian caught another nail-head square on), other than that I’m guilty as charged m’lud :laugh:

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Duke's photos show the FW pieces perhaps better than Freewheleers catalogs tho. I dig the museum like approach to them, shows some true passion.
Yeah that guy is a professional, he does what he needs to be done to get some profit out of it.
I am glad I have no professional interest whatsoever in clothing/denim, because as soon as it becomes a job it's not fun anymore...

Fully agreed—I don’t mean to say it’s not appreciated, nor that it’s not a good use of time & resources, just that it doesn’t  exactly agree with the What's the point of folding and placing your clothes in some kind of composition? Wear the fucking clothes or don't bother.“ philosophy either

1 hour ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

Those types of Instagram posts and users seem to reflect a much different audience and much different corresponding values (compared those in the community here). The "flat lay" thing, especially with the dude sitting in the middle of concentric circles of his belongings, tries to testify to or champion his curatorial talents at the expense of what makes the clothes interesting or admirable. To wit, it's all about him and not about the clothes.

There’s also the braggadocio attached to it that gets me as well. Don’t get me wrong, I own a shit load more things than I should (or feel that I should), but I don’t think it’s a good look to posture how much you can acquire and consume.

8 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Fully agreed—I don’t mean to say it’s not appreciated, nor that it’s not a good use of time & resources, just that it doesn’t  exactly agree with the What's the point of folding and placing your clothes in some kind of composition? Wear the fucking clothes or don't bother.“ philosophy either

we're all here because we bother!

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

For me the difference is quite simple and clear. Dukes approach is to showcase every piece individually - somewhat like a museum. The flat lays on Instagram showcase outfits - it's something that's supposed to be a composition worn on your body, not on your carpet. I realize there's a fine line and I don't really care how it's perceived, to me it's pretty clear.

In some sense I have more respect for something like what's shown on the last page as it has some kind of artistic value or approach and isn't just your daily outfit. I'm not interested in seeing cheap flannels and Red Wings laid out on people's floor.

That's my opinion anyway.

4 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

Anyone else think stuff like the below is the most cringey ever? Good god. 

CE60FF4C-77B4-4432-934F-DF171AD4B4EC.png

Not to me.

i think uploading pics of old men posing or even pics of their kids it’s even worse. 
This is the opinion of someone that never had Facebook twitter LinkedIn WhatsApp or whatever, nothing besides this and YouTube under a fake name. 

33 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Duke's photos show the FW pieces perhaps better than Freewheleers catalogs tho. I dig the museum like approach to them, shows some true passion.
Yeah that guy is a professional, he does what he needs to be done to get some profit out of it.
I am glad I have no professional interest whatsoever in clothing/denim, because as soon as it becomes a job it's not fun anymore...

196644E8-4022-4C4D-B8B8-A3DB213FCF61.jpeg

Fairly new to instagram. Wondering what blocking a person does as far as making them not appear is suggested posts or the endless scrolling search. I'm also trying the, 1) hit ellipse 2) hit not interested, to see if that eliminates some of the unwanted suggestions.

27 minutes ago, cheapmuthafukr said:

I’m just trying to figure out why dude has like 20 pairs of the same shoes. 

I thought that was pretty common in here. Tons of jeans. What about those posts of lists of Jeans collections and having like 15 pair of just Samurais with different special editions? I remember reading so many posts like that. 

1 hour ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

I thought that was pretty common in here. Tons of jeans. What about those posts of lists of Jeans collections and having like 15 pair of just Samurais with different special editions? I remember reading so many posts like that. 

It may be common, but that shits lame.

4 hours ago, unders said:

This looks like some kind of weird lumbersexual seance with a yonic man in the middle. Get it off my screen. 

If he's sitting on a lazy susan, however, and selects his outfits roulette-style by revolving through sheer willpower, I'd be down with that

If I owned that many clothes I would freak out trying to figure out what I was going to wear. I'd rather have a few good choices than a million choices and the inability to make up my mind.

I like the sensation of feeling like I actually frequently wear most of my "gear." The only real reason for me to get more boots or jackets or whatever is for more variety on Instagram, but I still don't really feel like I put a proper amount of wear into what I already own... I mean, I have a pair of Eternal 811s I bought a year ago which are awesome jeans but I've only worn them about a dozen times. I admit to having an insatiable appetite for flannel shirts though, that's the one category where I allow myself to own a whole bunch of items. 

For me, practicality beats looking cool on social media.

Edited by Cold Summer

^looking cool?

If you are not cool yourself, clothes are not gonna make you look cool no matter if theyr the coolest best topnotch elite unique etc and especially jeans or regular work shirts work boots etc just everyday peoples clothing. Also if you don’t have the right body style face etc

I remember meeting David Beckham many times he looked so cool with jeans boots and a T-shirt. It just looked right. This was when he played in Real Madrid. Even the tattoos looked good on him. And then so many players trying too hard and looking like clowns, like Sergio Ramos. Same clothes but totally opposite effect.

social media is for teenagers or bored women. 

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus

It looks very artistic and is well thought out, no doubt about that. I’m not sure that gazillions of social media likes necessarily mean you’re doing something right though, other than appealing to your audience - look at the Kardashians!