Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Any swim trunk recommendations? I have some Mister Freedom ones from a few years back, but they're starting to fade and get washed out.
Might try Birdwell, RRL has some 300 dollar swim trunks. :rolleyes: But I haven't found many other ones that have caught my attention.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Any swim trunk recommendations? I have some Mister Freedom ones from a few years back, but they're starting to fade and get washed out.
Might try Birdwell, RRL has some 300 dollar swim trunks. :rolleyes: But I haven't found many other ones that have caught my attention.

Freenote?

Anything over $100 is a lot for swim trunks, IMO. Maybe look into hybrid shorts from the main stream surf brands (yuk)? PataGucci? 

2 hours ago, Broark said:

The Standard Issue ones look nice, but $185 seems like a lot for swim trunks. 

Seems :ohmy:

I got 2 decent pairs of swimshorts from F&F (Tescos) for 10 quid. Well made and will probably last me the rest of my life. 

Seriously Broak, l'm sure there are cheaper options, as for alot of the time they will be under water so ...

Don’t do it Doc. I gave the peasant’s opinion on expensive socks and got a right royal sufu-approved roasting! 

Broark - if you were a troo denim-head you’d make some Roy jorts and not give a flying F that they take 3 hours to dry after a dip. :D

Edited by unders

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

I got 2 decent pairs of swimshorts from F&F (Tescos) for 10 quid. Well made and will probably last me the rest of my life. 

Seriously Broak, l'm sure there are cheaper options, as for alot of the time they will be under water so ...

I find that If you're swim shorts are too attention grabbing it can detract from ones hard earned rippling six pack..

Mine are Tribord £11.99 from Decathlon, i bougth them 10yrs ago when i used to take mini-soul to the 'Mother (and token dad) & Baby' swim sessions when he was just a couple of months old and ive used them to swim in the sea every year since..they're still in perfect shape.

Don't worry, I'm not going to spend that much on some swim trunks. Just was wondering if anyone had recommendations. -_-
Probably will go with some Patagonia ones or something.

3 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Depends how often you’re in water Doc ... :ph34r2:

Edited by Duke Mantee

@Ar_thor I’ve just got the traveler vest from them but it’s really nice. Extremely light, tight weave and intricately designed. I would buy more pieces but I’m a cheap bastard.

Birdwell is really great if you want a nice vintage short-cut boardshort. The fabric is pretty standard and not terribly fast-drying, so I don't think it's worth the $80 for any of the other normal cuts

But in that same price range, ever since high school, I've been wearing a pair of Kanvas by Katin in their "heritage" cut called the Waterman (I'm not sure that it's a true repro), that I got on sale for like 10 bucks lmao. They've lasted over 10 summers with 0 holes, string or snap button replacements, or tears (except in the pocket branding). If I'm not mistaken, I think that they're still being made in Huntington Beach, CA. I actually like the way they've discolored from a bold lifeguard red into a faded red/pink. You'd think that years of chlorine, salt, and sand would have destroyed them by now! 

I also do not recommend H&M swim trunks that are on sale for $2. They become see-through when wet. Ask me how I know. Lol

20200709_162850.jpg

Edited by Coolguyzack

I like my Birdwell frog camo swim trunks but I could have gone a size up. Plus I don’t really go swimming anymore as I sunburn too easily and don’t have an indoor pool near me to use. If anyone’s in the market for a pair in w32 worn once let me know.

1B67090C-FCD9-4F8D-A84A-789FA8BD9053.jpeg

Edited by Iron Horse

On 7/9/2020 at 12:29 AM, Geeman said:

If they ship via EMS from Japan why wouldn't they be effected? Given how much you have posted on it why would it surprise you?

Thought magazine publications wouldn’t be affected much as I assumed usps would take over during the shipping process (to the US).

9 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

@Ar_thor I’ve just got the traveler vest from them but it’s really nice. Extremely light, tight weave and intricately designed. I would buy more pieces but I’m a cheap bastard.

Thanks for that. I've looked at the Explorer vest as well, it looks very nice but I'm not sure I can justify that kind of money for a vest. Which iteration do you have? The lightweight denim one looks very nice.

I don't own any Post Overalls stuff but a local store used to carry them, so I've tried some stuff on and handled it in person.
All seems very nice, pricing was just a little high for me at the time. I'd likely go back and buy one of the shirts now, as it fit really well and made from lightweight breezy fabrics.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, Broark said:

Chubbies are good: https://www.chubbiesshorts.com 

22 hours ago, Ar_thor said:

Any love for Post Overalls? I'm looking at some of their shirts but it would be nice to know the quality. All I can find is an ancient thread praising their stuff but something more up to date would be nice.

Yes… I've had two Royal Traveller Vests (one left, other too big), an engineer (I think) jacket and two shirts (one left, other too big).  Quality is very good.  The shirts tend to fit on the boxier side and mine were not tuckable and, for added fun, from what I have seen, the sizing varies a bit from year to year.  

As Unders says, the sale is your friend with Post.  The RT vests, for instance, have just gone up and up in price.