Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

4 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

Exactly right, and I might just get the competition jeans for spite. I fucking hate bullies to the point that I don't like to see an internet bully get bullied, and that's pretty much what happened in this instance.

For every two posts Ed made, one of them was usually eye rolling-ly bad and the other one didn't really add anything to the conversation and I found that annoying but to suddenly find him persona non grata for the same thing he was doing for at least a decade is some kind of special smug bullshit. The fact that there was, "miracle of miracles", another competition ready to go, straight after all these keyboard heroes decided to get a conscious just makes it stink a little bit worse. Especially considering the fact that, I think it was Kiya that said, it usually takes a year to get a special pair of jeans into production and suddenly the biggest TCB fanboy out there, who suddenly has a major problem with Ed, has news on a new TCB competition. Miracles and wonders.

it wasn't bullying for me.  i've been a lurker for a while on sufu, so i know what ed is all about.

it left a bad a taste in my mouth when (this isn't word for word) a) ed said that the users here are stupid jean addicts that will participate in the contest no matter what, and b) insulted me further when i suggested a simple apology would diffuse the situation.  how often is it that one walks into a store, gets called an idiot by the owner, and walks out with a purchase?

Does anyone remember about 4 years ago or so, we were trying to organize a FH x RJB contest and we had multiple polls, tons of interest, details and fits dialed in, supposedly FH was on-board. Then Ed disappeared. For like months. And then he started posted slowly on his alternate account, then came back with his main account. 

At some point during all the polling and interest we had last autumn, I remember thinking, “I really hope Ed doesn’t somehow hijack this contest again, because who knows what will happen”

Lo and behold. 

”Elect a clown, you get a circus”

Edit:found the thread

Edited by SuperJackle

As an old man (65) who has witnessed a few disagreements, I gotta say we're making something outta nuthin here.  We can all agree that Ed is controversial.  I'm guessing he'd smile and admit to that.  Maybe he just tipped over a line he's been straddling for years, and got his hand slapped.  Some feel this was overdue and some feel there was a little piling on, for behavior that hasn't changed much.  While I'm inclined to let all voices be heard, including annoying ones with crude jokes, I can see both sides.

501XX, I hear what you're saying, welcome your willingness to buck the trend (it ain't easy), and even agree that Ed's entertainment value may exceed his rudeness.  But, in all honesty, you seem to be sabotaging your own point by suggesting that Volvo has evil intent here.  First, have you ever known a Volvo driver with evil intent?  Second, is what we do here a zero sum game, where if Ed and Warehouse have a contest, Volvo and TCB can't?  Maybe for dedicated one-pair-of-jeans-a-year guys, this poses a problem.  But for the truly addicted, the opportunity and excuse to add another pair is not a bad outcome.

Anyway, the point is that it's OK to have different opinions.  A little disagreement isn't a bad thing.  Everyone's points are valid on this one and we all have our own, unique experiences to draw from when it comes to Ed, or anything else for that matter.  The forum is more fun when there's some spice and less fun when it gets too hot and personal.

I think we can all get past this one.  Maybe Ed will undergo sensitivity training or find his Zen mind and all will be well.  OK, that's going too far, I know ;-)

Edited by JohnM

@SuperJackle I remember that attempt at a contest, there was so much back and forth and so many polls...but I admittedly forgot about it when the WH contest idea popped up. Forget the past and you’re doomed to repeat it and all that. :rolleyes:

Jeez!.. @501XX4EVER you sure do have a lot of axes to grind.

It all started with you not liking ongoing discussions regarding jeans on what you considered 'your forum' by folks from 'another forum' even though said folks have been members here for years before you even joined.. i get that folks don't like change as they get older, it can be unnerving, maybe we could make @501XX4EVER a mod then he can wade in and blow the whistle when things get too much for him to understand... from our perspective we will try and dumb down conversation and make it more inclusive, we can all play a part in keeping him happy.
He's created this soap opera over the last few pages just cos he was feeling left out and wanted to be center of attention, dude has a Levis Strauss avatar ffs, he knows things about jeans too let us not forget that. I know how you feel, @edmond was my only follower, with him gone my self esteem has hit rock bottom :sad:

For somebody concerned about negs @501XX4EVER you've certainly been firing a lot of them in my direction :ph34r:

I'm a Volvo driver too, @JohnM but i drive a proper Volvo non of this new fangled V70 nonsense.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

As an old man (65) who has witnessed a few disagreements, I gotta say we're making something outta nuthin here.  We can all agree that Ed is controversial.  I'm guessing he'd smile and admit to that.  Maybe he just tipped over a line he's been straddling for years, and got his hand slapped.  Some feel this was overdue and some feel there was a little piling on, for behavior that hasn't changed much.  While I'm inclined to let all voices be heard, including annoying ones with crude jokes, I can see both sides.

501XX, I hear what you're saying, welcome your willingness to buck the trend (it ain't easy), and even agree that Ed's entertainment value may exceed his rudeness.  But, in all honesty, you seem to be sabotaging your own point by suggesting that Volvo has evil intent here.  First, have you ever known a Volvo driver with evil intent?  Second, is what we do here a zero sum game, where if Ed and Warehouse have a contest, Volvo and TCB can't?  Maybe for dedicated one-pair-of-jeans-a-year guys, this poses a problem.  But for the truly addicted, the opportunity and excuse to add another pair is not a bad outcome.

Anyway, the point is that it's OK to have different opinions.  A little disagreement isn't a bad thing.  Everyone's points are valid on this one and we all have our own, unique experiences to draw from when it comes to Ed, or anything else for that matter.  The forum is more fun when there's some spice and less fun when it gets too hot and personal.

I think we can all get past this one.  Maybe Ed will undergo sensitivity training or find his Zen mind and all will be well.  OK, that's going too far, I know ;-)

I totally agree John ... 65 is old

Edited by Duke Mantee

4 minutes ago, unders said:

E6B72696-0C45-4773-8A2E-0DE0A363FB6F.jpeg.6c0cc0be5a26864b5b67c05422932e53.jpeg

Note, this is just for giggles. If it offends anyone affiliated with DB I’ll remove it. Don’t want any cross forum beef. 

I participate in both and this is hilarious :D It's pretty accurate IMO. There is no question that this forum is simply more active, even for those like myself who still post on both. Doubt this would cause offense to anyone on both. 

Edited by dudewuttheheck

30 minutes ago, unders said:

Note, this is just for giggles. If it offends anyone affiliated with DB I’ll remove it. Don’t want any cross forum beef. 

Is it because the denimbros are actually wearing denim and the SuFus aren’t? It is a nice dress though - is it Kapital?

27 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

There is no question that this forum is simply more active

And there are specific reasons for that

so yes to this below...  

12 hours ago, superfuture said:

chill out everyone. de-escalate. no more insults and so on. plenty of other places on internet for that. thx.

no attempts to escalate anything here; just commenting... 

13 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Bartles was driving that WH contest along and had put in the hard yards doing polls etc etc with plenty of community input.  The WH production timescales came through late in the day when Ed got involved and even then moved from Q1 to Q2 21.  Can’t recall Ed being that repeatedly offensive and without remorse as during the WH show. 

13 hours ago, unders said:

To be honest Bartle put in all the grunt work for the contest, well before Ed took it on for Signet.

Thanks for comments on my efforts, but really it is this imo: 
the community voted for something and Ed went so far as to get that from Warehouse and to get a date that reflects how fucked up the world is in the midst of a global pandemic: I have great respect for that.

But yes; the business was there to lose; engagement had already been won. Fighting for that business at the point at which rocky waters are hit shouldn't require a servile attitude, but antagonism towards other users and demands that they agree with certain uses of language might lose that custom ... people can be responsible in the way they behave ...

14 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

The fact that there was, "miracle of miracles", another competition ready to go, straight after all these keyboard heroes decided to get a conscious just makes it stink a little bit worse. Especially considering the fact that, I think it was Kiya that said, it usually takes a year to get a special pair of jeans into production and suddenly the biggest TCB fanboy out there, who suddenly has a major problem with Ed, has news on a new TCB competition. Miracles and wonders.

I clearly remember that talk about tcb doing a 40s jean has indeed been going on for years and years and years preceding all of this; so whatever the circumstances I am down for them whenever they arrive. Timing could seem strange - but life is strange.

as we see here as of may in the WH comp. poll thread Volvo is being asked if there is a 40s tcb yet... to which he responds;

On 5/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, volvo240thebest said:

not at all. they are not ready as of yet to launch a WW2 model. Hajime wants to have an original to copy and study, and he still haven't found it. I think they would be more than happy to work on another contest, now more than ever since they finally have a person like Ryo in the staff, who speaks a perfect English.

that said to me the most interesting option would be an up and coming new brand, like Rebuilt, more than Tcb or Ooe. I would have totally jumped on Rebuilt even before Warehouse but I wasn't aware of them when we started discussing the various contest options.

look: Volvo is even actively working towards expanded WH sufu consciousness in 2019 new contest discussions...

On 11/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, volvo240thebest said:

Warehouse ww2 would be super sweet.

and look here again: 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, volvo240thebest said:

warehouse would be my absolute favourite

so when he says this below I absolutely believe the man ...

14 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

I have been asking Hajime and Tcb to make a WW2 repro cut since the end of the 50s contest, I think it was 2015 but I can easily be mistaken on the exact year. It took a while to Hajime to find a pair of jeans to reproduce, and yes It's a coincidence that Ryo told me about their plans to actually make a WW2 cut in 2020 just about at the same time the WH contest derailed.

100% yes to this...

14 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

some others say oh he’s always been like that....doesn’t mean that it should ever be acceptable. 
hold people accountable

acting like a troll to make language spectacular, to show absurdity of things etc. yes; freedom of speech yes... but equally actions make consequences

the problem with acting like a troll whilst trying to keep business or public associates is another thing ... the sad stimmung of post-truth and post-shame politics have rather de-lustered the anarchist gleam of trolling imo

&

1000% agree this

9 hours ago, DoitsuJin said:

it wasn't bullying for me.  i've been a lurker for a while on sufu, so i know what ed is all about.

it left a bad a taste in my mouth when (this isn't word for word) a) ed said that the users here are stupid jean addicts that will participate in the contest no matter what, and b) insulted me further when i suggested a simple apology would diffuse the situation.  how often is it that one walks into a store, gets called an idiot by the owner, and walks out with a purchase?

I have no desire to shut the WH project down. My thought to shut the WH competition poll thread was for Ed to take responsibility for his own actions and begin an official WH comp. thread as I could not see myself going on with it once he threw the gauntlet down that those who didn't buy the jeans because of his use of certain language were idiots. To me that was a real 'baking in' of that attitude into the competition and this move in many ways required an active submission to that attitude for continuation; which for me is a no, no, no. 

I didn't close the thread as I had initially intended after that in order for the project to continue there (I had wanted to close it to make those who wanted to continue to re-open and re-engage without the baggage but with the extra elbow grease required) ... 

But...  it seems that the remains of the WH comp. thread are still not adequate and this has spread elsewhere. Hence this thread flame war.

I have a lot of sympathy for people keeping their business going. I hope the competition goes well for those involved.

... if that makes me a purveyor of ...

14 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

some kind of special smug bullshit. 

then so be it ...

so as to:

15 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I'll come right out and say, though, that anyone who claimed initially to be interested in the competition and decided to rescind their interest on the basis of that one week's worth of Ed's posts did so as much to publicly tote their high-and-mightiness as to genuinely show protest—otherwise, the decade of posts preceding that week would have been enough to keep them from showing any interest in the first place

imo... when making the balance between 'shit I want them warehouse jeans' and 'I must agree with comment x' becomes unbalanced I think there is justification for people to walk away ... [as, from the balance sheet of experience, it wasn't going to get better ... which doesn't mean that people shouldn't take a chance in expressing interest in a competition hoping that it might not be embroiled in this kind of behaviour, even if the likelihood is 99.9% that it will] - being called a snowflake is not my idea of a happy 18 months together, especially when there is a chilly long wait until spring ... I don't think it is virtue signalling to walk away when a reasonable point [or series of points by multiple users, some urgent, some oblique] has been made which then only ramps up the insults / amplifies the negativity ...  people can be responsible in the way they behave ...

Again, these are extraordinary times: we would all do well to express our gratitude for each other, whatever our foibles, but that equally doesn't mean we must be glued to each other and accept behaviour we don't agree with [even if we are deluded/hopeful enough to think that habitual behaviour is not inevitable ... ]

Again: I hope the WH competition goes well.

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

A little disagreement isn't a bad thing.  Everyone's points are valid on this one and we all have our own, unique experiences to draw from when it comes to Ed, or anything else for that matter.  The forum is more fun when there's some spice and less fun when it gets too hot and personal.

Be careful: this opens the door to my quotational crap:

said it b4, will say it again: "better a wholehearted feud / than a friendship that is glued" - people should have freedom to act in a certain way, but people shouldn't have to accept actions they find >unacceptable< [insert more Lemongrab memes here...]

Ed is indeed a part of the furniture, a man with much more game than many (much more than I), a venerable sufu-user and stalwart, I have greatly enjoyed many of his posts and admire the torch he bears for wesco [cough] ... he might be seen to live by this principle:

"Civil war is the free play of forms-of-life; it is the principle of their coexistence" - community can be an overly sickly concept when it requires formatted behaviour and compulsory likes ...

... and thus I don't want to stop the free play of a mode of being, but I want to be able to get off the bus when the driver starts playing chicken for shits and giggles ...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm a Volvo driver too, @JohnM but i drive a proper Volvo non of this new fangled V70 nonsense.

hey! do you wanna fight? :D

my volvo driver pedigree is immaculate. I got my driving license in 2004 and my first car was a 1991 240, which I crashed in a big accident. I am alive because I was driving that car, they told. After that I bought a 850 glt, but felt I was missing something. So I sold that one and bought another white 240, and added a second 1980 244 gl. Back then I had no mortgage, no family and could still have the bleeding luxury of two cars. I sold both volvos. The white one was well over 500K km. I made sure those bricks were handled to likely minded folks too. I had to hop on a more recent volvo only because my current mileage per year doesn't justify anymore to drive an oldtimer, and current life doesnt' permit anymore the luxury of a second weekend driver. I keep dreaming the two old volvos I owned babied and drove from 2007 to 2017. These are the only good dreams that my brain cares to remember.

My socialvolvist soul is pure and immaculate. VOLVO FOR LIFE

24.jpg

Edited by volvo240thebest

6 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Can we have a hug instead to karma out the recent fighting? :blush:

I learned to drive at 17 in my dads Volvo 340GL, now that was a car! 0-60 eventually, cornered like an ocean liner.

was it a automatic gear version with the infamous Variomatic?

Just now, Double 0 Soul said:

Here's my current brick featuring Snow Peak tent

IMG_5406

Sweet pic. It could be out of those late 80s/early 90s ads.
1993? Black door handle trims were issued only for that model year.
The perfected perfection. Last year of production. Love it.

That's the one, Gothenburg's finest!

1 minute ago, volvo240thebest said:

was it a automatic gear version with the infamous Variomatic?

No manual, my folks had that car for years it was the first brand new car my dad ever bought so he really looked after it, sadly it came to a grisley end when they were driving down a country lane when a tractor with a thresher on the front pulled out of a field and totalled it, they didn't have a scratch of course.

17 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Done that before :D

fullsizeoutput_5b8

Don’t have a Volvo, so sorry to get off topic. Thought the camping set up was a nice segway. We use a similar setup to this for camping, albeit in the back of our truck. 

62C26EFC-4A11-4F2D-827D-29C846CC5B2A.jpeg

I used to have a Volvo V50 T5 sports 2.5l, black with black leather seats 

What a great car - like a cross between a tank and a rocket.  Did about 20 mpg. 

It always made me feel safe when carrying the children around when they were very little