Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I'm still planning to compete ("compete"?) in the Warehouse competition

Ed's an asshole, but that's not news—honestly, I found it pretty hilarious how suddenly everyone turned against him for acting the same way he's been acting for 10+ years, just 'cause the right combination of high-profile forum members happened to call him out for it in the right span of time: the internet hive-mind at work

Deciding not to partake in a competition because you don't want to support the guy running it is totally reasonable, and is exactly how we should seek to effect change in how business are run (and who they're run by). I'll come right out and say, though, that anyone who claimed initially to be interested in the competition and decided to rescind their interest on the basis of that one week's worth of Ed's posts did so as much to publicly tote their high-and-mightiness as to genuinely show protest—otherwise, the decade of posts preceding that week would have been enough to keep them from showing any interest in the first place

4 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

I'm still planning to compete ("compete"?) in the Warehouse competition

Ed's an asshole, but that's not news—honestly, I found it pretty hilarious how suddenly everyone turned against him for acting the same way he's been acting for 10+ years, just 'cause the right combination of high-profile forum members happened to call him out for it in the right span of time: the internet hive-mind at work

Deciding not to partake in a competition because you don't want to support the guy running it is totally reasonable, and is exactly how we should seek to effect change in how business are run (and who they're run by). I'll come right out and say, though, that anyone who claimed initially to be interested in the competition and decided to rescind their interest on the basis of that one week's worth of Ed's posts did so as much to publicly tote their high-and-mightiness as to genuinely show protest—otherwise, the decade of posts preceding that week would have been enough to keep them from showing any interest in the first place

Exactly right, and I might just get the competition jeans for spite. I fucking hate bullies to the point that I don't like to see an internet bully get bullied, and that's pretty much what happened in this instance.

For every two posts Ed made, one of them was usually eye rolling-ly bad and the other one didn't really add anything to the conversation and I found that annoying but to suddenly find him persona non grata for the same thing he was doing for at least a decade is some kind of special smug bullshit. The fact that there was, "miracle of miracles", another competition ready to go, straight after all these keyboard heroes decided to get a conscious just makes it stink a little bit worse. Especially considering the fact that, I think it was Kiya that said, it usually takes a year to get a special pair of jeans into production and suddenly the biggest TCB fanboy out there, who suddenly has a major problem with Ed, has news on a new TCB competition. Miracles and wonders.

3 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Somewhat ironic that a member of 'Superdenim' with the username @501XX4EVER and a photo of Levi Strauss as his avatar doesn't like discussing jeans :wacko:

Have you considered facebook instead? i'm sure there would be much less denim chat over there..

I never said I don't like discussing jeans, I made a lighthearted remark about the anal retentive horse shit about the '44 cut you used to find on denimbro.

Have you considered Facebook yourself? I sure it's full of smug cunts, you'd be right at home there.

I think Kiya is right in general in terms of producing a special jean - but since TCB is a small, flexible maker which makes their products in their own workshop rather than having a contractor sewing factory manufacture, it's easier for them to pull it off fairly quickly than most other brands.

1 minute ago, 501XX4EVER said:

I never said I don't like discussing jeans, I made a lighthearted remark about the anal retentive horse shit about the '44 cut you used to find on denimbro.

Have you considered Facebook yourself? I sure it's full of smug cunts, you'd be right at home there.

You seem quite aggressive for somebody who hates bullies?

Just now, Double 0 Soul said:

You seem quite aggressive for somebody who hates bullies?

And for someone who is so friendly and welcoming of all forum members you seem very passive aggressive, also, for someone who has no interest in what I post you seem to be extremely interested in everything I type.

Ed has always bugged me. His racist/sexist stuff has never been cool with me. 
the WH contest thread comments and his comment in the TCB contest thread were the tipping point. 
I will never not put my foot down when it comes to that shit. 
some others say oh he’s always been like that....doesn’t mean that it should ever be acceptable. 
hold people accountable

rant over 

2 weeks sober has got me fired up! Hahaha 

I think it seems like there's some denim illuminati conspiracy theory or something going on here. Not the case at all.
I put my foot down personally with Ed's shenanigans when it came to the COVID comments, then I saw him post some stuff on his IG about another political issues going on in the US right now. The comments were just something that I just can't accept. No high horse bullshit here. I'm just not going to support it. I'm not going to act like I didn't know Ed was like that before this point. But lately he hadn't been going out of his way to make those comments and I thought maybe he's stopped broadcasting his backwards way of acting towards other people.
There's enough political bullshit in every corner of the internet and media right now as it is and I prefer that it doesn't overlap into my hobby if at all possible.  
But then I heard about the TCB 20's contest situation. I thought to myself, there's no way that I'm going to spend 330 bucks (plus shipping? I can't remember) if they're not even going to hold up their end of the bargain with prizes. Plus they weren't even going to have the jeans ready until Q2 of 2021. I decided I'd just get the 25th anniversary jeans from WH directly for a fraction of the price and not have to think about the association with some stuff I don't jive with.
It was a perfect storm of bullshit that I decided to say that I'm no longer interested.
I don't care if that makes me seem like I'm trying to be all high and mighty because I know that I'm not.

25 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

I have been asking Hajime and Tcb to make a WW2 repro cut since the end of the 50s contest, I think it was 2015 but I can easily be mistaken on the exact year. It took a while to Hajime to find a pair of jeans to reproduce, and yes It's a coincidence that Ryo told me about their plans to actually make a WW2 cut in 2020 just about at the same time the WH contest derailed.

More importantly, apologies for my unfortunate "click elsewhere" comment. Now that I read it again I should have perhaps let my brain cells operate a couple seconds more before hitting the "submit reply" button. That would have saved you from calling me "il duce", which is a way worse kind of insult, as I am pretty sure you are realizing now.

I really hope you bought some Lottery tickets on the day you "coincidentally" heard the news from Ryo that they were making the WW2 cut, at the same time you made huge effort to get the Warehouse contest derailed because that is some kind of cosmic good fortune right there.

For the record I knew exactly what kind of insult "il duce" was when I used it and the reason I used it is because saying "click elsewhere" is the exact same same kind of pseudo-Fascist bullshit as the whole "if you don't like it, go back to your own country", so maybe if you're so sensitive about the Fascist connotations, don't act like one. Also, if you really don't like it you can just get the gang to give the post 20 neg reps and it will be gone, I mean that worked for you before right?

To be honest Bartle put in all the grunt work for the contest, well before Ed took it on for Signet. I associate the early days of deciding on brand, model and then details (like that sweet sweet green ink) far more with Bartles than Ed.

I feel bad that Ed swept in and fucked up all the hard work that was put in beforehand. 

501XX I’m just curious. What would make you happy? 
you seem bitter about everything at this point?? 
I get your upset. You like Ed. you hate Volvo and double 0

Edited by shredwin_206

10 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

In truth unders, calling someone a fascist can Often mean very little these days - it often means “anyone who doesn’t agree with me” :laugh2:

Hey great, David Brent is getting in his tuppence worth, the gangs all here.

It's past my bedtime for all this shenanigans! Blimey. Yep Bartles was driving that WH contest along and had put in the hard yards doing polls etc etc with plenty of community input.  The WH production timescales came through late in the day when Ed got involved and even then moved from Q1 to Q2 21.  Can’t recall Ed being that repeatedly offensive and without remorse as during the WH show. Sometimes there's a straw that breaks the camel’s back – people have a choice where they spend their money and can change their mind at any time.  The WH ordering is EoY isn't it and TCB is now, at a lower cost, with high brand engagement so, all in all, not surprised it's been jumped on but am surprised by the increased numbers who are now attracted including many ex-lurkers and new joiners. 

18 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

501XX I’m just curious. What would make you happy? 
you seem bitter about everything at this point?? 
I get your upset. You like Ed. you hate Volvo and double 0

It has nothing to do with making me happy and I am neither bitter or upset. I actually don't like Ed or think enough of Volvo or double 0 to hate either of them.

I'll probably have a cigarette later and that usually makes me happy. Does that answer your rather pretentious questions?

34 minutes ago, 501XX4EVER said:

I really hope you bought some Lottery tickets on the day you "coincidentally" heard the news from Ryo that they were making the WW2 cut, at the same time you made huge effort to get the Warehouse contest derailed because that is some kind of cosmic good fortune right there.

For the record I knew exactly what kind of insult "il duce" was when I used it and the reason I used it is because saying "click elsewhere" is the exact same same kind of pseudo-Fascist bullshit as the whole "if you don't like it, go back to your own country", so maybe if you're so sensitive about the Fascist connotations, don't act like one. Also, if you really don't like it you can just get the gang to give the post 20 neg reps and it will be gone, I mean that worked for you before right?

Listen, I really told you all I had to tell on the matter. My conscience is very clear,  and I am happy to move on all of this.
Now it's really up to you!

5 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Listen, I really told you all I had to tell on the matter. My conscience is very clear,  and I am happy to move on all of this.
Now it's really up to you!

1 minute ago, superfuture said:

chill out everyone. de-escalate. no more insults and so on. plenty of other places on internet for that. thx.

Absolutely and as you say yourself I don't have to be here and can go elsewhere.

Roller Magazine has updated their website and now offers overseas subscriptions.  Same with Ripper Magazine.

https://rollermagazine.com/

Important Notice

Thank you for supporting Roller, Ripper and Weller Magazine. We are very grateful to all of our readers, clients and collaborators. We would like to make an important announcement to all of you.

About the magazines

-    Roller Magazine and its sister publications Ripper and Weller Magazine will beginning from the June 2020 issue undergo a renewal and be published in both Japanese and English.

-    Roller Magazine will be published four times a year in February, May, August and November.

-    Ripper Magazine will be published twice a year in March and July.

-    Weller Magazine will be published twice a year in March and September.

-    As well as our readers in Japan, international readers will also be able to purchase a copy. Also, we offer subscription to Roller Magazine, Ripper Magazine, Weller Magazine and related publications.

-    If you subscribe to one of our magazines, you can save 10% on each issue.

-    Shipping to Japan is free of charge (excluding remote island areas).

-    International shipping charges vary for each country and number of copies ordered.

About advertisement

-    We accept advertisement from not only Japanese but also international brands and stores.

*For more information, please see our link in bio or official website.

About Roller & Ripper Online Saloon

-    We have advertised for the Roller & Ripper Online Saloon before, but unfortunately we were unable to reach the goal of 2,000 subscribers and therefore we are unable to continue the project. We sincerely apologise to everyone who has supported this project so far.

-    We would also like to apologise to all existing subscribers and reassure you there will be no charges made to your credit card and all registered information will be deleted.

We are updating our official website with news, video content, and information about where to buy our newest issues and official goods. Please check it as well as our Instagram account.

Roller Magazine

Edited by mlwdp