Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Indeed, debate one would never expect on a forum full of denim nerds...

57 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

^ I thought that was the best bit of conversation in weeks. :D

37 minutes ago, Flash said:

Otherwise whats the point in this place ? Sizing questions ? And " nice outfit mate " ? Cool to see good fits and all but without the debate and discussion this place wouldn't interest me 

That's another thing, this place has gotten waaaaaaaaay to clique-y recently.

Cliquey ? How ? It's a public forum where everyone is invited to communicate freely and if people get along with each other and form friendships then it's a good thing ( one of the best things about the internet ) . No one should be excluded from joining in the different conversations on the forum and I honestly have not found anyone doing this 

Edited by Flash

The feel has changed somewhat as a new-ish group of people (who I think were DenimBro regulars?) joined/came back to SuFu, but man... Sufu 2020 is downright Chuck-E-Cheese compared to 9-10 years ago, when it was extremely hostile and full of dudes trying way too hard to out-cool each other:laugh:

8 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

The feel has changed somewhat as a new-ish group of people (who I think were DenimBro regulars?) joined/came back to SuFu, but man... Sufu 2020 is downright Chuck-E-Cheese compared to 9-10 years ago, when it was extremely hostile and full of dudes trying way too hard to out-cool each other:laugh:

tha'ts imo the best thing that happened to sufu in years, brought the level of conversation and photo contributions up a couple steps in no time

45 minutes ago, 501XX4EVER said:

That's another thing, this place has gotten waaaaaaaaay to clique-y recently.

I’m sorry but this is just plain wrong. Have you seen how many newcomers and lurkers have popped up to join the TCB contest? Have any of them been told to bugger off or they’re not ‘cool’ enough to join (or any other negative thing you can think up)? No. Everyone newcomer had been welcomed and Volvo with his reposting the participant list and gifs has helped with that. 

More people are posting because of a few things. DB pissing some of its members off and folk having more time to surf the web & spend on hobbies due to lockdowns. I think that’s all been great for the forum. 

Some regular posters get on well and interact with each other more. That’s natural and happens in all walks of life, not just online forums. Not worth bitching about. 

@Cold Summer hits the nail on the head. In the main everyone’s friendly. The alternative is just a bunch of pricks, being pricks to each other. Who wants that? 

I think the only clique-y thing that happened lately was people getting tired of Ed's misogynist / racist shit along with spamming his failed attempt at a contest.
We can all agree this is a better place without him right now. And I think sufu is more welcoming than ever.
I know I complain about reddit / r/rawdenim guys, but I think my issue is more with the platform rather than the people.
As long as we have some worthwhile debate and discussion I'm all for new members.
I just don't want it to dissolve into redundant sizing and fit questions like reddit is.

Here here to the retorts above...

It's peculiar to visit a denim website and not expect nerdy denim banter, and bonds, amongst people with a common appreciation for denim

I'm surprised 501XX - it's not like there were any complaints for posting old pictures of dudes in denim - some great pics there, all warmly appreciated

At the end of the day, people can click on one of the other N threads if the chat is not to their taste or leave altogether

Clique = 'a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them' - surely disproven by counter example i.e. as Unders says, the near-100 TCB contest entrants Volvo has warmly welcomed

In other news, I was bought this cassette tape player / converter as a surprise present after I unearthed a bag of my old tapes in the garage

Currently loving old mixtapes from 1990 - reassuringly crackly playback of classic old tunes

MP3 conversion can wait

20200628_145717.jpg

Edited by MJF9

@Double 0 Soul, A Visual Sound is one of the best soundtracks in skate video history, fo sure. I think I actually watch/watched Tincan Folklore a little more. I never looks for the soundtrack as a separate document. If you'd be willing to link that mp3 for me in a pm, I'd be grateful.

@MJF9, I have a 1978 Marantz cassette player that's in need of refurbishing. Just waiting for Covid closures to ease to take it into the vintage stereo repair in Manhattan. I still have every mixtape and underground rap tape from middle school onward. I did dump most of the major label cassettes a few years back as I have the mp3s and there isn't much nostalgia for me in the mass-produced, commercial cassettes.

23 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Clique = 'a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them' - surely disproven by counter example i.e. as Unders says, the near-100 TCB contest entrants Volvo has warmly welcomed

my bad I completely misunderstood the meaning of this world. Sorry English is not my native language...
well I really don't see this place being unwelcoming or not inclusive.
I don't think I have been unwelcoming towards Ed if this is what you mean. He's not a kid anymore, yet it seems he had failed to learn good manners, respect of others etc etc.

For one thing, we did not have superep 10yrs ago :laugh2:

But, srsly, I started out as a downsizing, Nudie-shredding lurker at the forums 14yrs ago, before going legit at ‘08.

I’m prolly fluffing it a bit, but 2005-08 was like the selvedge denim renaissance for denimheads,  IMO.  The forum experience flourished ... opened up options for users to try new stuff ... geek-out & gravitate towards a niche ... cultivate personal style & preference.

From that came the tribes ... the shredders, the collectors, the purists, the geeks, the impressionables, the cliques, the shifters ... & every combinations there of, in varying degrees.

Lightning does not strike twice in the same place ... ‘twas fun, but everyone grew up & moved on.  I read up the thread that @kiya put up during lockdown & saw names I haven’t seen in yeaaaars.  But of, course I dint chime in cuz, frankly no one will recognize since I’ve always been like a fly on the wall. I’m not much of a hell raiser, influencer, nor debater, but that’s just me IRL ... nevertheless, I’ve made my humblest/modest contribution here.  I think for the forum to continue, we should be, not just welcoming, per se .... but, tolerant & encouraging to the ever changing demographics.

Edited by BrownMetallic

9 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

my bad I completely misunderstood the meaning of this world. Sorry English is not my native language...
well I really don't see this place being unwelcoming or not inclusive.
I don't think I have been unwelcoming towards Ed if this is what you mean. He's not a kid anymore, yet it seems he had failed to learn good manners, respect of others etc etc.

Sorry - not my meaning here Volvo.  I agree with your points above here. 

In my post, I was saying that your actions in welcoming c100 entrants are evidence of this not being cliquey. (This is the counter example to disprove the claim that this is cliquey)

Hope this clears this up :)

Cool little feature that Apple is allowing you to text some overseas shops directly.  Anemoscope in Tokyo as I’m interested in a Sunset Bay leather jacket.  Would love to see more Japanese shops offer this option besides the standard email address.

65FB12A1-C9D9-49F2-8A31-E19574383484.png

The Bro's from DB coming over has changed the dynamic but not in a bad way, it's brought different perspectives on the hobby (for want of a better word) and some welcome not new blood. We've seen an influx of new posters, which from experience was not happening on DB as that was a very clique'y forum for sure!

I'm a slim fit, preppy kind of guy a complete opposite to the recent interest in the WW2 fits etc but I embrace the diverse views and posts. 

Ed crossed the line several times but in the spirt of diversity I'd still want to see him back here at some point, he's got a genuine love for the game and a lot of experience. In regards to the Volvo vs Ed to and fro Volvo a big boy and knew how to handle it and it just added to the fun!

Oh and  @BrownMetallic you were here from way back when and I'm glad to see you back more regularly,  I've always appreciated your content 

Edited by Geeman

@MJF9 I went to a cassette swap meet 5 or 6yrs ago organised through Sheffield Forum, it was mainly aging ravers with Walkmans sticking earphones on your head and asking 'can you ID this tune for me? obviously with no lyrics track ID can become a tad tricky. Have you seen the price of OG Sony Walkmans on ebay over the last few years...flippin eck!

Unbeknown to me one of my friends had been collecting cassettes from junk shops for 12months or so...he gave me a box of 55 old cassettes for Christmas back in 2015 I love finding unknown gems, it's the cassette equivalent to crate diggin. One says "Never Play This Tape" on the sleeve, like Ring B)

fullsizeoutput_65c

Another graff artist friend gave my kid this 'Lo-Fi' cardboard Boombox/MP3 player which you build yourself, he got it free from Montana when he bought shit loads of paint, you're meant to paint them up but he couldn't be arsed so gave it to my boy instead, again ebay prices for vintage Boomboxes are running into many thousands, It's madness!

fullsizeoutput_18c

@Jared_Lee I just converted the HD version of 'A Visual Sound' from youtube to MP3 using 4K Video Downloader it stores the file it straight to itunes, @Duke Mantee hooked me up with this converter years ago, i recommend it, it's dope! if i had editing suite softwear i would separate the tunes, alas it's one continuous 37min 'album'

19 minutes ago, Geeman said:

The Bro's from DB coming over has changed the dynamic but not in a bad way, it's brought different perspectives on the hobby (for want of a better word) and some welcome not new blood. We've seen an influx of new posters, which from experience was not happening on DB as that was a very clique'y forum for sure!

I'm a slim fit, preppy kind of guy a complete opposite to the recent interest in the WW2 fits etc but I embrace the diverse views and posts. 

Ed crossed the line several times but in the spirt of diversity I'd still want to see him back here at some point, he's got a genuine love for the game and a lot of experience. In regards to the Volvo vs Ed to and fro Volvo a big boy and knew how to handle it and it just added to the fun!

Oh and  @BrownMetallic you were here from way back when and I'm glad to see you back more regularly,  I've always appreciated your content 

‘Appreciate ... likewise, mate.   I edited above post a few times:biggrin: just cuz I dint want to be misunderstood.

I’m not saying we ALL should try to be circumspect & PC to make everyone feel welcomed.  1st of all, PC don’t work.  2ndly, where’s the FUN in that, right?!  But, we can strive to be more “thread appropriate” in our posts/comments.  I see a lot of OGs here that, exactly, do that.

SuFu has been a long-standing escapist hobby for me, not just purely for the denimz.  I read the other threads, pour over stuff that pique my interest ... to expand my latitude, so to speak.  I think, that’s what the founders had in mind, in the first place ... a thriving metropolis of ideas.  So much to be learned & shared.   Plenty of “enclaves” to charter, for everyone.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

@Jared_Lee I just converted the HD version of 'A Visual Sound' from youtube to MP3 using 4K Video Downloader it stores the file it straight to itunes, @Duke Mantee hooked me up with this converter years ago, i recommend it, it's dope! if i had editing suite softwear i would separate the tunes, alas it's one continuous 37min 'album'

Sadly, I installed the Mac OS that eliminated iTunes without knowing it beforehand. I am an iPod Classic enthusiast and have been forced to use Swinsian since. But yeah, I've used programs to create mp3 from digital video's audio before (great way to rip live performances that were never made into albums). I have the official DVD for A Visual Sound. I wonder if I could quickly and easily route audio from my receiver into my Mac and record it that way (probably just an aux line into my 1/8" mic jack). I don't know if that would be better source audio than the YouTube version.

Woops!

It might be less compressed than youtube but you would have to do it in realtime, the 4K rip only takes seconds and this version of AVS is very clean.. just paste the link and go, i'm sure that if you don't use itunes 4K will allow you to save the file to whatever media player/library you're using. I used to use internet based converters years ago but they were always full of adwear, 4K is bug free, i use it all the time nowadays for converting old vinyl up on youtube to MP3.

^^ If you have an optical drive handy that can connect to your computer, HandBrake's a good MacOS-friendly open source option for ripping from DVDs (either audio only or audio + video)—rip to whatever uncompressed lossless format is the default then XLD'll do the trick for any compressions & conversions you wanna do down the line

On the topic, for those comfortable with (simple, bare-bones, straightforward) command-line utilities I'd strongly recommend youtube-dl for grabbing audio from YouTube videos

I tried using Swinsian some years ago but it would freeze up whenever I tried to import large libraries…

Edited by julian-wolf

Judging by the harmonious chorus in most of the replies, I can't help but feel I either made a valid point or hit a nerve.

6 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Click elsewhere

Your wish is my command  il duce, and I'm sure it's purely coincidental that you, pretty much single handily, made a definite effort to torpedo the Warehouse contest that Ed, for all his faults, was driving, suddenly having a huge issue with the persona he has exhibited since he has been on the forum and then low and behold, the TCB contest was able to start up in record time. Again, I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

1 minute ago, 501XX4EVER said:

Judging by the harmonious chorus in most of the replies, I can't help but feel I either made a valid point or hit a nerve.

Nah, people just can’t resist calling bullshit.