Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

If you had to wear only one pair of jeans for the next 2 weeks (along with other non-jean pants), which one would it be?

I just packed all my stuff to ship back from Paris -> Seattle. The jeans I chose to keep with me here are the FW 601XX 1947. They're not too heavy and super comfy on my body...

As I've been living in them for the past couple of weeks, it would have to be Mister Freedom Vaquero Denim Jeans. Nice wide leg for both loafing around in and for the occasional dynamic action, like standing up!

^ yep, frequently do fortnights in SC47s at various stages of evolution from barely-worn to barely-still-in-one-piece... but lately I've unearthed a forgotten pair of SC66 that are doing it for me – faded to a nice vintage look, contrast nicely with new UES type III..

Edited by mondo

On the subject of shipping from Japan,  ordered thru Amazon JP was with me in around 4 working days. Denimio took a few days to ship my TCB then they actually took 3 days JP to UK! My NB I ordered thru Rakuten Global shipped on 27/05 landed in the UK today with the ominous message : awaiting presentation to the customs  commisioner :blush2:

Since lockdown, s/s rotation jeans are temporarily hanged w/the coats by the foyer & worn strictly outside.   The Evisu no.1 2000Ts are exclusively worn indoors for the past 10wks straight ... not much wear to show for, but they’ve gotten soft & loungy like pjs.

Edited by BrownMetallic

On the subject of paying the import tax etc, it actually really pisses me off. I buy an item with money I have earned in the UK, I've paid my NI and tax on those earnings. I then spend that money on an item in another country that's had no bearing on the UK, no burden on the economy etc and pay myself to ship ot to me yet the government says I have to pay an additional tax for spending money I have already been taxed so they can get their couple of quid again. 

Sorry to rain on your parade G, but the government says you have to pay an additional tax on all items you buy within the UK/Eu its called VAT ;) 'import tax' it just that, you pay VAT on all goods you buy in the UK with the income which you've already payed tax on at source apart from childrens clothing, books ect.. when you buy an item from outside the Eu no VAT is applied at point of sale so you have to pay it when it hits our border.

9 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Sorry to rain on your parade G, but the government says you have to pay an additional tax on all items you buy within the UK/Eu its called VAT ;) 'import tax' it just that, you pay VAT on all goods you buy in the UK with the income which you've already payed tax on at source apart from childrens clothing, books ect.. when you buy an item from outside the Eu no VAT is applied at point of sale so you have to pay it when it hits our border.

true, that works as it should when you buy tax free outside EU and then pay the vat. But most of the times if not all we pay domestic JP tax and then VAT.
I had a couple extremely enlightening chats with people working at Milan customs (my parcels were stuck because of lack of sender's value declaration), once they discovered I was a private citizen (not a company) they suggested me what to do to not get stung.  Gotta love some Italian farce :biggrin:

53 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I understand the process but I still think it's a con to charge me VAT (disguised as import tax) on an item the UK had no part of. 

52 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I understand the process but I still think it's a con to charge me VAT (disguised as import tax) on an item the UK had no part of. 

What about charge 'me' VAT would you be ok with that? :D

I suppose it boils down to having a level playing field for UK/Eu companies/retailers, VAT has to apply across the board or else it undermines the economy if some folks were allowed to import goods tax free for resale, i appreciate yours is a 'small' purchase for yourself but who would know otherwise, how many small purchases would be allowed to bypass UK tax laws and who decides what constitutes a 'small purchase' ... i hate it as much as you do but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I like your pov tho, you should put it across to Michel Barnier, they've been fucking about with this Irish backstop nonsense for years, i bet they've not looked at it from your perspective :D:D

Dawson Denim for instance are not a VAT registered company so they don't knock 20% off for anyone outside the Eu... Ouch!

I just would like to give some praise to Naoki at PSA. He emailed today, and he noticed somehow that my order has still not reached me after 2 months, and has offered to retrieve the package from the local post office and re-send via DHL. Class act.