Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

30 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Looking at he new global rakuten express..... 

You have to upload yur I'D documents to prove it's you..... anyone done it? Obviously slightly hesitant to provide a website with a copy of my photo ID/personal information. ....

I believe it’s to cut down on counterfeit/stolen cards used by Yakuza.  I remember reading an article a few years ago about Japanese e-commerce sites having this issues with this so they resorted to having buyers upload their personal ID documents.

You should be good.  

Lads lads the solution to the suspender buttons and belt loops conundrum is to boldly wear suspenders to avoid the belt digging in issues.  Or, of course, don't buy the jeans in the first place.  

I'm sure I'm clearly in the minority when I say... I like suspenders and I cannot lie.  

It always struck me, however, as odd for jeans to have functionality for both belt and braces... and then I saw that John Wayne photo which confirmed it was, in fact, even odder to use both at the same time. 

But if buttons and belt loops are period correct, they're period correct.  I found LVC suspender buttons more obtrusive than TCB which are more obtrusive than the Ooe dungarees I have.

42 minutes ago, Geeman said:

You have to upload yur I'D documents to prove it's you..... anyone done it? Obviously slightly hesitant to provide a website with a copy of my photo ID/personal information. ....

I can help you out with that mate... just DM me your bank cards details and the security details on the back of your card and leave them purchases to me

Edited by MJF9

2 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

It always struck me, however, as odd for jeans to have functionality for both belt and braces... and then I saw that John Wayne photo which confirmed it was, in fact, even odder to use both at the same time.

'Belt and Braces' is a figure of speach used quite often in my industry, a colloquialism if you will, it basically means to over engineer something..

ie "should we go with with Option A or Option B" ?

"Go with both, it needs to be belt and braces"

ie, cannot fail :D

Has anyone else noticed lately that blue in green ironically doesn’t measure BiG style anymore? I’ve looked at a few size charts for different pairs and thigh measurements seem to be way off. 

Edit: nevermind. It might just be the pair of black sugar canes I was looking at. I thought there was another pair I was looking at with odd measurements, but most seem consistent. 

Edited by SuperJackle

8 hours ago, Geeman said:

I got that far and then gave up.

From Japan is always sending emails out about 5–10% off deals for Rakuten orders—probably will still be more expensive than going direct once you include domestic shipping and proxy fees all that, but might come close for larger orders

Ordering from the Rakuten.ne.jp/gold/ shouldn’t be a problem.  Depending on the store, It’s already formatted to show overseas address selection and remember to preselect your address in the address book that you were using when Global is/was still around.  I’ve done it no problems.  Almost every Rakuten store has a very nice front page JP layout that we usually miss because of the global express format.  Only bad thing is the browser translating it.  Google Chrome works well for me.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:27 PM, Double 0 Soul said:
(I was actually drinking a carton of Kia-Ora while listening to Carpel Tunnel Syndrome by Kid Koala when i set up that account B) true story) so again i started afresh, and when i signed up this time around i was listening to Edwin Starr :D

@Double 0 Soul Kid Koala...what a blast from the past! Ninja tune and Warp artists came through Chicago often while I was in grad school in the early-mid 2000s. It was a great scene in those days. I'm fairly certain I permanently lost some hearing in my left ear at an inhumanely brutal and amazing Squarepusher show. I've got a million more old stubs here and there, but here's a few: 

2088947268_IMG_3988copy.thumb.jpg.97e85dd285f593ea4570a9d525c033ac.jpg1830444567_IMG_3986copy.thumb.jpg.40201c123d79bca9cdeec23dd4c17c3d.jpg

I had a similar blast a couple of years ago.. my (then) 9yr old was banging out the soundtrack to Floor Kids.. i was like wtf this has to be Kid Koala...and lo and behold :D

T'was Big Dada put out a lot of good shiz back then... around this time a group of my friends used to run a small club night called 'Phonetics' which was a guest list for me if i could be arsed to go out... it was a dj set, usually hip-hop followed by (oddly) based up Samba/Chiliean followed by some crew they hired, Task Force, Ty, Peanut Butter Wolf, Mark B and Blade, The Infesticons, 4Hero, Birdy Nam Nam...ect, then D&B till morning... :)

This blog post is interesting, this guy tested out Warehouse's denim detergent against other detergents. He washed each scrap 22 times and photographed the results along the way.
Actually seems to show that the specialized detergent makes the denim hold indigo longer.
https://amekaji-jeans.com/2019/10/denim-wash.html
IMAG2849.jpg

You can really see the difference between each detergent. I've been using Warehouse's and BerBerJin one for a few jeans and I definitely notice a difference too. On the other hand I've tried Superstich denim detergent which is engineered to be rough on denim (like 60-70's detergent) and the jeans loose a sh** ton of indigo really quickly.  Woolite black is cheap and works great tho !

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

It is interesting but makes little difference to me, i usually wash every 6mths or so and a pair of my jeans rarely lives much past the 2yr mark so they would only see 4, maybe 5 washes in their lifetime..

That's a good point! For someone who's washing every week it should make a difference I guess