Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I've been to Indonesia a handful of times and I've seen some of the traditional batik production first hand. At the time I didn't fully appreciate it though.
You should send some of that to Will at Tender for some pocket bags.

I didn’t want to junk up the FW thread with this, because I see it in other brands as well: copying bad vintage elements that disappeared for good reason. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of vintage elements on jeans, but some work, some don’t, and some that work don’t work when paired with other elements. 

OOE running the cinch through the belt loops drives me crazy. Original? Probably. I‘ve never been a vintage jeans guy. I do understand why so many of the old pairs have the cinch cut off. 

DB did a Blue Blanket AB Elfelt duck trouser tour a few years ago. Those pants looked cool but were a functional disaster. Put something in a pocket, you’re not getting it back while you’re wearing the pants. 

Here’s FW with a design that falls all over itself. I’d cut off those suspended buttons if I planned to wear a belt. Have you worn a belt over those buttons? It’s terrible. I cut the buttons off of my RS Blacksmiths.

The cinch on the FW pulls the belt loops - which are inextricably and inexplicably sewn over the cinch, making it look like they really ran out of room for all of the ornaments they wanted to pack on. 

The front pocket would be partly blocked by a belt due to the bizarre design. 

Shame. The denim looks great. 

Anybody selling any Roy RS04s? 
6BE57693-AD00-4198-99EA-1A8AD926743E.thumb.jpeg.585115d4f3b699a68f1e12a4f7eea271.jpeg9E919123-74E4-42C6-ACB2-E3DE9C0405E7.thumb.jpeg.5fa83945573eb733146239ceaf2d26fc.jpeg

Edited by lefty

The cinch on the OA's has never been an issue for me as I don't wear a belt with them (the cinch 01's or the Boss Pants, which are more complicated by also having suspender buttons)
I would imagine it'd be design flaw if I were to wear a belt with either pair though. Maybe the intention is to not wear them with a belt (even if they do have belt loops).

For many of those reasons, the '47 is often thought of as the perfect iteration of jeans and I tend to agree. I love a good cinch, but even I cut mine off for the TCB contest back in the day (a look I admittedly love as well). Similarly, Type 1 Jackets are my favorite, but it sucks when you lean back and the cinch digs in to your spine if anyone can relate

We thank you for choosing HINOYA online store.

We regret to inform you that EMS has announced that due to corona virus, EMS has decided to stop shipping items from Japan to USA.
Due to this change, we will proceed to cancel your order.

If you wish to purchase items from our shop, please consider utilizing forwarding company services.

Once you sign up with "forwarding company services", they will issue a Japanese address for your use and with this address the good you purchase will be sent to their warehouse before being forwarded to your address.
We look forward to having you shop with us again in the future.

7 hours ago, lefty said:

... copying bad vintage elements that disappeared for good reason.

56 minutes ago, JDelage said:

I've wondered about the belt loops + suspender buttons thing. Maybe it was a transition time when some people wanted a belt and others wanted suspenders?

Isn’t it just the evolution of things (denims in this case)? The transition of jeans for work (or ‘overalls’ because they went over all) to jeans for leisure - the cuts becoming trimmer and things like belts becoming more popular. It’s a bit like American cars of the 50/60’s - too much of everything for no good reason, except there was a good reason - it was bright new future ... it was the space age and a young Donald Trump was readying himself in NYMA

My father bought an old 1959 Edsel Ranger back when l was in my 20's. One big chunk of chrome and steel it was!  I think it was 17 ft long and over 7 ft wide and weighed near on 2 tonnes. 

Hilarious when he bought it over to England, especially driving round the small lanes we have here in the Cotswolds!

Safe to say he sold it fairly soon after importing it  ^_^

Edited by Dr_Heech
Spelling!

I’ve never owned a car from that era, but I’ve seen a few and the bumpers never block the headlights - i.e., the ornament never hinders the function.
Slapping pockets everywhere on some of their garments doesn’t irk me if the pockets don’t get in the way.  It might be too much for me, but I’m also no minimalist. 
Suspender buttons under belt loops - that’s almost as absurd as Man Ray’s iron or Oppenheim’s tea set. 

23 minutes ago, lefty said:

I’ve never owned a car from that era, but I’ve seen a few and the bumpers never block the headlights - i.e., the ornament never hinders the function.
Slapping pockets everywhere on some of their garments doesn’t irk me if the pockets don’t get in the way.  It might be too much for me, but I’m also no minimalist. 
Suspender buttons under belt loops - that’s almost as absurd as Man Ray’s iron or Oppenheim’s tea set. 

:laugh2:

But the weight screwed the suspension and fuel consumption ... 

Edited by Duke Mantee

10 hours ago, lefty said:

The cinch on the FW pulls the belt loops - which are inextricably and inexplicably sewn over the cinch, making it look like they really ran out of room for all of the ornaments they wanted to pack on. 
6BE57693-AD00-4198-99EA-1A8AD926743E.thumb.jpeg.585115d4f3b699a68f1e12a4f7eea271.jpeg

Perhaps missing the point here, but explicably it is a vintage detail (whether one agrees with it or not is another matter):

brit-eaton-briteaton-longjohnblog-jeans-

Obviously the point comes back to a Dieter Rams (who hated the design of cars in the '50s and '60s, appropriately enough) or Steve Jobs philosophy on design that design is not just about how things look, it's about how they work.

It’s that quirkiness and accuracy of quirkiness that also makes it interesting really. Lot’s of companies were trying to outdo each other or create something newer or stronger, but ultimately Levi’s hit all the right notes. Reminds me of Jeans of the Old West and all the patents filed during the gold rush etc

21 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

Perhaps missing the point here, but explicably it is a vintage detail (whether one agrees with it or not is another matter):

Obviously the point comes back to a Dieter Rams (who hated the design of cars in the '50s and '60s, appropriately enough) or Steve Jobs philosophy on design that design is not just about how things look, it's about how they work.

Thanks for that image Bryan - I posted something (BotR Painter Pants) in the FW thread but I couldn’t find the exact one I needed - perfect ... and for getting my point about Rams :smile:

I do broadly agree with @lefty about how functionality is lost - although I believe, in the case of many of these overalls, it’s to give the customer a choice without having to manufacture two or three variations of the same pants.

As with work shirts, we see (and buy) a reproduced or reinvented design from current perspective without knowing how a particular detail might’ve been ideal in a previous time.

That pocket never gets in the way. 

I take your point that it’s non-functioning in the current era, but it’s a harmless ornament, whereas I take suspender buttons placed in the belt path (rather than higher on the waist for certain models of pants) as a nuisance that cause physical discomfort. 

Also, we are all terrible, terrible nerds. 

Edited by lefty

15 minutes ago, JDelage said:

I've seen here pics of people wearing suspenders. I've never seen a pic of someone with a pocket watch in their watch pocket...

On my wishlist for this year is a pocket watch to go with my japanned/copper flash watch fob:

E5134E95-DFDB-4A22-AE44-BEFFC7D96F6F.jpeg

7EAC434A-F1E2-4FBE-88FF-8EFD33701F2F.jpeg

Edited by Iron Horse

Following 00’s lead and supporting local businesses, although at slightly higher London prices - £30 for a 5L mini-keg, direct from the brewery. I’m looking forward to the school bell this afternoon!

CE3C48D1-4B3F-4A9A-AAAF-F380FFEE4FF0.jpeg

1 hour ago, lefty said:

That pocket never gets in the way. 

I take your point that it’s non-functioning in the current era, but it’s a harmless ornament, whereas I take suspender buttons placed in the belt path (rather than higher on the waist for certain models of pants) as a nuisance that cause physical discomfort. 

Also, we are all terrible, terrible nerds. 

Think l love that 'between the wars' era of jean/workwear so much, that l'm willing to put up with a little discomfort. Although that relies heavily on the way they are constructed, thickness of material and type and thickness of buttons and belt worn over it.

But we're all different. 

Edited by Dr_Heech

1 hour ago, lefty said:

It’s just time to let suspenders go.

Sign my petition at moveon.org

Deep, accessible pockets and an unobstructed belt path is all I ask. 

Lefty for president.
I honestly despise suspender buttons, I only own one pair with them and I find that they don't get in the way all that much.
But at the same time I wish that they did not have them, even if they're a period accurate detail.

46 minutes ago, Broark said:

Lefty for president.
I honestly despise suspender buttons, I only own one pair with them and I find that they don't get in the way all that much.
But at the same time I wish that they did not have them, even if they're a period accurate detail.

Wait - you want period correct details except when you don’t want period correct details?

You’ll be the ideal vice-president :laugh2:

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Following 00’s lead and supporting local businesses

There have been some really nice examples of neighbourhood kindness throughout the quarantine, It has restored my faith in human nature...some of the local businesses have moved their produce onto the streets and they seem to be busier than previously....:D

IMG_9467

...the street cafe's have signs saying 'you're welcome to use our tables and chairs' local tradespeople are offering a free 'tool co-op'  while other folks are crafting like never before and leaving their wares on tables on the pavement with a sign  'please take one' ...last week i trimmed about 3' off the top of our baytree (with loppers from said co-op)... so to get in on the action i cut all the perfect leaves off with scissors, dried them out in the sun on the roof of my woodshed  and put 100g into each of 30 envelopes, put them in a box and nailed it to a tree on the street with a sign saying free bayleaves.. they all went within hours :)

9 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Wait - you want period correct details except when you don’t want period correct details?

You’ll be the ideal vice-president :laugh2:

I'm working on my denim political campaign as we speak. ;)
What I mean is now that I own a pair with suspender buttons I likely won't buy another pair with them since I never wear suspenders and likely never will.
It's a period correct detail that I'm just not fond of personally, not asking for them to be removed from all repro jeans/pants since they are period correct.

4 minutes ago, Broark said:

I'm working on my denim political campaign as we speak. ;)
What I mean is now that I own a pair with suspender buttons I likely won't buy another pair with them since I never wear suspenders and likely never will.
It's a period correct detail that I'm just not fond of personally, not asking for them to be removed from all repro jeans/pants since they are period correct.

Oh I knew - but I couldn’t resist :tongue:

I despise suspender buttons. 
maybe I wear my belt too tight but I like to keep my pants up. 
I have carhartt pants for work with suspender buttons and they actually pinch and dig into my skin leaving me with some skin irritation. 
I took a hacksaw and cut them all off. 
also cinches look cool but I don’t like them. I always cut them like they did back in the day. Haha 

Looking at he new global rakuten express..... 

You have to upload yur I'D documents to prove it's you..... anyone done it? Obviously slightly hesitant to provide a website with a copy of my photo ID/personal information. ....

It always used to make me laugh when sutocorp ran their promo's... they used to offer free shipping (or something) on your birthday, all you had to do was scan and email a copy of your birth certificate?

Yeah right..:ph34r:

Edit- Ive found it..

" We will give 50% off of our service fee to customer who birthday on August 2016* "

* Terms and condition

1. When you want use this promotion , please attach your scan Id or passport which show your birth day on August

WTF!!!

Edited by Double 0 Soul