Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

@Cold Summer if you want to get a good rounded appreciation of vintage repro you wouldn't go far wrong with reading the first 30 or so pages of the CSF thread over on Denimbro, if i say much more regarding the subject i fear i will just be repeating myself.. and i might as well go copy/paste.. but it's a good thread with a lot of debate/discussion regarding subjects as diverse as one armed potters through to John Ruskin's 'seperation of labour from the product of his work' but don't let that put you off ;)

I'm not one of these stuck in their ways...all or nothing repro nerds, i'm also a massive advocate of jeans such as the SC-47, not because of its perfect vintage detailing, simply because it's a decent pair of jeans at a decent price, probably the same considerations would have been made of a pair of Levi's back in the day.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I actually have warmed up a lot to the vintage 501 aesthetic over the years - I follow a number of Japanese guys on Insta who wear vintage jeans and really like the look. I guess I just don't feel as compelled to get something as "exact" in replicating those vintage jeans - I feel like the WH 1001, FC 1101/1108, TCB 50s, SC 1947 etc. are good enough for my tastes. Guess I'm not too hard to please. :P

Here’s another article I saw today that I thought was interesting. Obviously I think most of us understand why what we’re wearing costs what it does, I always get a chuckle when my coworkers talk about how expensive jeans are at 50 bucks usd. If only they knew!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-world-is-paying-a-high-price-for-cheap-clothes/ar-BB13wRx1?li=BBnb7Kz

TFW you see many Japanese web stores running Golden Week and quarantine stay at home sales knowing full well you can’t order any of it due to EMS not shipping to your country right due to Coronavirus delay.

This sucks man.

2088CC97-8639-4F69-A102-4AA91FEB7E2F.gif

19 hours ago, mlwdp said:

TFW you see many Japanese web stores running Golden Week and quarantine stay at home sales knowing full well you can’t order any of it due to EMS not shipping to your country right due to Coronavirus delay.

This sucks man.

2088CC97-8639-4F69-A102-4AA91FEB7E2F.gif

Like who?

I have such an incredibly small torso and im on the look out for a chambray with something like a 25" vertical length max. I'd like the option to wear it untucked since I'm pretty self conscious of how awkward i look with shirts tucked in. If any of you know of one or come across one, please let me know! Thanks... as I'm having a hard time...

Edited by Suitedupmon

13 hours ago, Suitedupmon said:

I have such an incredibly small torso and im on the look out for a chambray with something like a 25" vertical length max. I'd like the option to wear it untucked since I'm pretty self conscious of how awkward i look with shirts tucked in. If any of you know of one or come across one, please let me know! Thanks... as I'm having a hard time lol.

You could always have one made to suit your measurements

Jan Schmidt made me a couple - I’m going back 5+ years here - has a range of styles to choose from - pick fabric from small selection and away you go

If interested, I can dig out his email address

Quarantine has me reevaluating some of the clothes I've collected over the years.
Putting up a bunch of stuff on Grailed soon most likely. Tastes definitely do change!

50 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Sure, if you keep them dry they won't shrink at all

Thought about that but have never tried.. anybody have any luck with it?

I feel like eventually they're gonna get so dirty that I'm gonna be forced to wash so its almost as if I'm delaying the inevitable. 

You are delaying the inevitable. Eventually you'll need to wash them, and when you do they'll shrink. How you treat them now won't change that. You're always better off just sizing them appropriately from the start.

That fabric is actually relatively stable for an unsanforized jean so if you stick with cold water, the shrinkage can be pretty minimal. It’s also rather loosely woven so it’s pretty forgiving. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

17 minutes ago, aho said:

Has sufu been getting busier lately (a lot of OG's seem to be back), or is it just that I'm checking it more lately myself and realizing this denim thing still has legs?

Lol idk but I was gone for years..

But I'm back after looking into and settling on a new pair

27 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

That fabric is actually relatively stable for an unsanforized jean so if you stick with cold water, the shrinkage can be pretty minimal. It’s also rather loosely woven so it’s pretty forgiving. 

thanks man I'm just gonna do a cold soak and will have to stretch back whatever shrinkage comes with it by wearing em

6 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Only Japan Post / EMS is suspended—FedEx, DHL, etc. should still be operational. I ordered a pair of shorts from TCB on Sunday that should be arriving this afternoon.

review and fit pics please

38 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Only Japan Post / EMS is suspended—FedEx, DHL, etc. should still be operational. I ordered a pair of shorts from TCB on Sunday that should be arriving this afternoon.

follow up question, did you order from the Shopify site? It says shipping is free so how much extra did you have to pay for Fedex/DHL?