Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

@MileHighEvertonian I watched Eyes Without a Face five years ago, and I think about it at least once a week... I never see it mentioned anywhere!!

Top Five:

• Peppermint Candy (dir. Lee Chang-dong)
  • Opening Night (dir. John Cassavetes)
  • The Road Trilogy (dir. Wim Wenders)
  • American Movie (dir. Chris Smith) *THIS IS A MUST WATCH, HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING QUITE LIKE IT*
  • Inland Empire (dir. David Lynch)

Guilty Pleasure:

• Absolute Giganten (dir. Sebastian Schipper)

Nice list @Suitedupmon

We watch Eyes Without a Face a few times a year in our house. Halloween night usually comes down to that or The Innocents (dir. Jack Clayton). 

Have you seen Wenders' Until the End of the World? Criterion released it on blu ray recently with a 287-minute version. I've not seen it before, but it's on the list to buy.

@MileHighEvertonian

I have not seen that Wenders film (or even heard of it for that matter). It says that Wenders considers that film his ultimate road movie lol... enticing.

Truthfully I stopped following what Criterion has been doing because I'm so impulsive with blu-ray purchases. I'm sitting on stack of blind buys that I still haven't watched. But I'm always looking for new stuff to add to my movie list, so thanks!

Edited by Suitedupmon

3 hours ago, cmboland said:

how did you all get into raw denim? Super vague question but I’d like to hear your stories!

When I was an exchange student in Osaka in 2009, I met some Australian expats who were into Nudie. That introduced me to the concept of raw denim, and through Nudie I discovered the broader denim community and stuff.

Back then this blew my mind, I didn't think there was anything better than Levis 510s out there. I knew about "premium" denim brands like Seven For All Mankind and True Religion but thought they were ugly crap. I would've been into raw denim at least five years earlier if I just knew about it, but nobody in the north Atlanta suburbs was into this kind of thing.

4 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

When I was an exchange student in Osaka in 2009, I met some Australian expats who were into Nudie. That introduced me to the concept of raw denim, and through Nudie I discovered the broader denim community and stuff.

Back then this blew my mind, I didn't think there was anything better than Levis 510s out there. I knew about "premium" denim brands like Seven For All Mankind and True Religion but thought they were ugly crap. I would've been into raw denim at least five years earlier if I just knew about it, but nobody in the north Atlanta suburbs was into this kind of thing.

nudie was absolutely huge in the australian hardcore scene (probably some other subcultures, too) for a few years, particularly the thin finn and slim jim models. i bought my first pair in 2006ish and was still wearing them non-stop when i joined sufu in 2008. prior to that i owned a pair of diesel zathans which was the bridge nine jean of choice.

Edited by conqueror

7 hours ago, cmboland said:

how did you all get into raw denim? Super vague question but I’d like to hear your stories!

Was always into denim, but thought torn up A&F were the best in the early 2000's :biggrin:

Then lived in Japan during college years, 2005 discovered SuFu but didn't join. Being in Japan of course, and my friends being Hypebeasts brought me in to APC and the Levi's shops in Kyoto and I ended up buying my first raw pairs (New Cure and raw 513's). Got more and more into it via the Japan connection with Japanese brands of course, and am here today.

8 hours ago, cmboland said:

I have to say, I didn't get exposed to raw denim in a cool or unique way (i.e. none of my friends were into it and it also wasn't through my travels). I was into sneakers in high school, and I remember that I saw a post somewhere on the internet about what pants people wear with sneakers. Did a lot of reading on various forums but never really bothered contributing until a few years ago. I'm glad I did, though, because here I am!

9 hours ago, cmboland said:

I was assigned to write an article on Menswear Dog around 2013/14; in his bio it mentioned something about "never washing my selvage jeans", I wondered what the heck that was, looked it up and was hooked from there.

10 hours ago, cmboland said:

i wrote a tractatus about this on db (for realz) but it got swept away in deletegate

Bought a pair of nudie in a sale, random unplanned purchase. The blurb with them said something about raw denim , not washing or something. .... did an Internet search and down the rabbit hole I went

2 hours ago, oomslokop said:

i wrote a tractatus about this on db (for realz) but it got swept away in deletegate

Me too (we should start a movement) ;)

And more denin-life story in the 'How did you get here thread' that was great reading

They've replaced the denim stuff with new threads.. 'There's a bird in my garden, 'How to cut your lawn' and 'A horse has chewed my fence'

Oh well..

Ooms’s denim backstory only includes a dalliance with one chic. Not to boast but there were 4 women in my life back then...

Joking aside, I’m ashamed to admit that my interest in denim started with the explosion it had on the UK pop scene around 99/00. This guy rocked a lot of Evisu back then: 

8C6BCCC7-4563-467B-A4FD-B8310FC81A63.jpeg.3bc8571a8b45a9128188fd0f6d842a7a.jpeg

It was also around the time of Levi’s Twisted range that was heavily marketed here and to be fair, was pretty radical. That really got my attention. 

19 hours ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

+1 for Clerks from this 90s mallrat skater from New Jersey!

mallrats you say...

[one of few vhs left in house for sentimental reasons... and jay and silent bob def. deserved their own movie - and comic-book...]

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

love your list @MileHighEvertonian - knew a guy obsessed with Franju... 

and oh boy, @oomslokop deleted post was indeed a master-class - Wittgenstein meets comedy meets ... [write it again! we demand it!]

and yep; got into raw denim around '99 with 'lvc and evisu, 'twas the time of it... 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Went on a school rugby tour to San Francisco in 1984(!), everyone said “Buy Levi’s out there, much cheaper ‘cos they’re made there”. While out there, I went into a Nordstrom and purchased some shrink-to-fit 501s with some unusual looking red-stitching on the outseam edges. I liked this red-stitching. I liked it a lot! At this stage, as a young casual I was primarily wearing Fiorucci jeans :rolleyes:

Over the next couple of years, Still at school, I shed the casual togs and got more of an ‘indie style’ (I had a part-time job in Kensington, so used to spend my wages in Kensington Market and the nearby Our Price records). From then on and into university, I started buying second-hand 501s with ‘red-stitching’ in various shops in London and Manchester.

Come the 90s, with second-hand prices increasing and size availability and quality decreasing, I started wearing more casual style brands again - Fiorucci, Liberto, Chevignon, C17, Teddy Smith, then Replay (NEVER Diesel though) and Carhartt. Selvedge was consigned to the history books, or so it seemed.. 

In 2002, I was in Interstate (I loved that shop) looking for a pair of Carhartt carpenter jeans and I came across a pair of Edwin Waynesville (still made in Japan back then). I saw that ‘red-stitching’ on the outseam, tried them on and liked the high-waisted loose fit (plus all the tag info) and bought them. I went back 2 weeks later and bought another pair (followed by 3 more over the years) and here I am now...

Edited by Maynard Friedman

17 hours ago, cmboland said:

Bought a pair of Evisu International in China around 2010...I think (when world expo was happening) , family vacation.

& thought its the coolest pair of jeans with painted arcs & all that fluff.

Cousin immediately set me straight about the existence of the another (much superior) Evisu (glad he is not wrong) , & proceed to showing me a pair of SugarCane (Hawaii if I remember correctly) from his collection...blew my mind & down the hole I goes...

Think it was about 2006 and I walked into the Bureau in belfast , they used to stock evis , lvc and lots of other brands . Seen a pair of evis with red paint on the back pockets ( found out years later that they were the 2101 ) but they were £190 and there was no way I could afford them . The bureau also owned a smaller shop around the corner that focused more on streetwear so I popped in there one day they were having a sale and ended up leaving with a pair of Cycle jeans  . they were an Italian made vintage inspired brand and the pair I bought were an 1890 one pocket style jean , on the swing tag it explained about selvedge denim and wearing/washing so I went online and found mynudies like many others and that was that 

I actually ended up buying those 2101 with the red paint a few years later from a fella Garreth who worked there , he bought them but never got round to wearing them 

Edited by Flash

For me it started when I began working for j crew back in 2009. I was one of the stylists for the soho men’s shop and we began carrying warehouse 700s and 800s and that partnership opened my eyes to Blue in Green just a few blocks away. I did the typical thing and bought some slubby samurai jeans but then moved more into vintage repro jeans. 

I think I initially got interested in raw denim when I lived in Singapore. There was a store off Orchard that I found interesting. At the time I thought it was too damn hot to be wearing jeans.
At the time I was in high school so I didn't really have the money. Moved to Austin for college and bought my first pair in 2010 or so.