Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

get drinking up @Double 0 Soul

big sympathies to @Duke Mantee and all those affected in a similar fashion: really sucks... zombie movies (or other apocalypse fantasies) often explore what happens when the social contract collapses, this virus is showing us how tenuous the social contract is in certain parts of the world (thinking zero hour contracts, precarious work in general, creaking health systems...)

My wife bought me beer for father's day....

20200422_180902

Who the fuck puts pineapple juice in beer ? Or chocolate for that matter 

Accidentally opened one and took a swig the other week mistaking it for a tin of diet coke .... I'll not make that mistake again 

Think I'll stick to Heineken , safe bet 

Edited by Flash

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

My wife bought me beer for father's day....

20200422_180902

Who the fuck puts pineapple juice in beer ? Or chocolate for that matter 

Accidentally opened one and took a swig the other week mistaking it for a tin of diet coke 

Think I'll stick to Heineken , safe bet 

I thought you’d got them for Jack

One of my favorite beers (Shiner ruby redbeer) has grapefruit and ginger in it. It's delicious (on a hot day).

@Duke Mantee- Sorry about that. This crisis is going to have a tremendous economic cost, and the media are not talking much about it.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

On the the bright side for you guys - there’s a load of FW gear going cheap ...

Really sorry to hear of your forced early retirement Duke, hope you can find something else to fall into, even if it's just temporary until this crisis blows over for a while. 

BUT... if you are seriously getting rid of any FW stuff, can l have first dibs on any t-shirts?

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

On the the bright side for you guys - there’s a load of FW gear going cheap ...

Join the unemployment club Duke. 
No membership fees, weekly meetings, just bring a 6 pack to share. 
On another note. I’d like to be included in the list for if you’re seriously selling any FW. 

9 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ive noticed a trend recently where you can buy 1/3rd of a pint or 3x different thirds instead of a single pint so you get to sample lots of different beers which might only be around for a day or two, obviously on the back of the craft beer phenom... is this just a UK thang?

Something like this? Beer flights are pretty popular at breweries in the US, however I usually just opt for 3 pints myself...
 770544.jpg

Yeah that's it, ive never actually tried it or even seen anybody try it, i just see the 1/3rd of a pint price chalked up on the board. If it was me i would go for 3x dark beers or 3x pale, mixing stout with ruby and pale would just freak me out.

The only time ive ever had a 3rd of a pint was a beer called Roger & Out which was brewed on site at the Frog & Parrot in Sheffield during the 80's and 90's it used to come in a port glass and the head almost looked mouldy.

It was in the Guiness book of records in 1988 as the worlds strongest beer ar 16.9%abv. T'was a teenage rite of passage

24 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ive noticed a trend recently where you can buy 1/3rd of a pint or 3x different thirds instead of a single pint so you get to sample lots of different beers which might only be around for a day or two, obviously on the back of the craft beer phenom... is this just a UK thang?

They did it in a Reykjavik when I was over there recently.  Like the ones Broark has pictured there. 4 local Icelandic beers in 1/3 of a pint glasses on a bit of wood.

Being Reykjavik I recall it costing approximately £28.

Beer trends are a weirdly interesting thing to me. At least stateside it's all about how limited things are. Basically if a beer is harder to get it is inherently better.
I remember reading an article that analyzed the top 100 rated beers on Beer Advocate from years ago compared to the current rankings.
Basically every top rated beer that had become more widely available dropped in rating. Some of that can be attributed by quality dropping due to ramped up production.

Beer nerds tend to flock towards extremes, not unlike some denim trends. Give me super hazy, super juicy, hopped up to the max and equate that to super slubby, super nep, blah blah blah.
I enjoy some of the inherent hype around limited beer, it's fun to track something down. But it's not always equivalent to being a really good beer in my opinion.
For me it's more about something I know is reliable, always good and local. And I tend to drink to the season: stouts and fuller beers when it's cold and a crisp pils or saison when it's warm.

Here's the article if anyone is interested: https://punchdrink.com/articles/when-did-rarity-equal-greatness-top-beers-list-craft-beer-rankings/

I'm not a big beer drinker but am enjoying these new beers with citrus brewed in. I do enjoy things like tsing tao with Chinese food, Chang with Thai,  Cobra with indian...makes me feel cosmopolitan and reminds me of holidays!:biggrin:

Bourbon is my poison.

Edited by Geeman

31 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I do enjoy things like tsing tao with Chinese food, Chang with Thai,  Cobra with indian...makes me feel cosmopolitan and reminds me of holidays!:biggrin:

Bourbon is my poison.

I relate to this a lot. Drinking Tiger with anything SE Asian is my sweet spot. Or Bintang.
The Tiger Brewery in Singapore used to do an all you can drink brewery tour for ~$20SGD, that was a right of passage for ever ex-pat highschooler over there. :D

At least here in SF, there are certain beers like Pliny the Younger where people line up hours in advance to get some. I've never waited for it myself so I couldn't tell you if it was THAT tasty but I suspect it's not worth waiting for. I have noticed that a lot of my friends who are really into beers tend to flock towards beers that I find too extreme to enjoy but I realize that I'm definitely a more casual beer drinker so I'm not as picky and dont pick up on different tasting notes. 

Never have Younger, but Pliny the Elder is just okay. Also depends on how fresh the batch is of course.
I think with IPAs becoming so common it kind of takes away from what The Elder was years back. If you live in a big city you can probably find a local IPA that holds a torch to The Elder.
I find it annoying that IPAs dominate the tap walls and beer stores. I get that's what sells right now, but sometimes I want something besides an IPA.
And everyone says "well if you don't want IPAs then vote with your wallet and buy other beers" and that's valid. But how am I supposed to buy other beers when 80% of the selection at the store or bar is compromised of different types of IPAs?

If anyone ever wants to trade be let me know, it's probably my second biggest hobby after denim.