Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

It usually doesn't bother me when it's sufficiently obscure branding. Nobody knows what the heck Flat Head is, so I wouldn't hesitate to wear one of their tees, or from another small brand or store I like supporting - Self Edge, Standard and Strange, 3Sixteen, etc. But I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Coca Cola or Disney logo, hah.

24 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

This classic Calvin and Hobbes comic pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

H9tfZAF.png

Completely agree. Thx for posting! I've had this opinion for... well, since I became as semi-responsible young adult. The brand tags on my shirt pockets drives me nuts, and I haven't got around to un-picking them. 

Relating this to the fly fishing world, (and can be applied to any other hobby/sport/interest/business/brand) I don't buy schwag. Branded schwag has become as integral to the sport as is the products the companies produce to actually do the sport. To me, schwag is to given away as a means for the company to advertise/endorse a shop/brand/company, and as a way to say thank you for the support. How/why it became a symbol of personal identify to pay for and wear a brand's logo is baffling to me. 

7 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Good god No! (but like unders points out) i fucking hate Disney and that squeeky voiced c**t of a mouse, luckily for me my kid has never been into it either. Disneyland would be my own personal hell.. I would rather spend a week in Guantanamo Bay than spend a single day in that hell hole.

Hmmm... nice rant ;)

Disneyland/Disneyworld = Hell 

24 minutes ago, mpukas said:

How/why it became a symbol of personal identify to pay for and wear a brand's logo is baffling to me. 

I don’t think wearing a brand’s image is about creating your own identity, but demonstrating to others that you share the identity of the brand or simply that the brand means something to you as a wearer. For example I’m a Hypebeast, I wear Supreme. I’m posh I wear Polo Ralph Lauren. I’m average, I wear Hugo Boss. I’m a gamer, I wear a Nintendo tee. 

If someone likes Mickey Mouse and wants to wear a Mickey Mouse tee more power to them. 

What I absolutely don’t get is when grown men wear tees with naked or semi-naked women on. It just screams ‘virgin’ to me!

37 minutes ago, unders said:

I don’t think wearing a brand’s image is about creating your own identity, but demonstrating to others that you share the identity of the brand or simply that the brand means something to you as a wearer. For example I’m a Hypebeast, I wear Supreme. I’m posh I wear Polo Ralph Lauren. I’m average, I wear Hugo Boss. I’m a gamer, I wear a Nintendo tee. 

If someone likes Mickey Mouse and wants to wear a Mickey Mouse tee more power to them. 

What I absolutely don’t get is when grown men wear tees with naked or semi-naked women on. It just screams ‘virgin’ to me!

how else am I supposed to show people that I like naked women?

5 hours ago, unders said:

Buzz Rickson and Toys McCoy would like a word with you. :laugh2:

Edited by mlwdp

8 hours ago, unders said:

I don’t think wearing a brand’s image is about creating your own identity, but demonstrating to others that you share the identity of the brand or simply that the brand means something to you as a wearer. 

And that extends to anything. I’m pretty sure anyone that wears a Rolex or drives a Porsche isn’t going out of their way to obscure these brands. I’ve never had anyone comment on the brands I wear because the truth is, most people don’t care. Every company out there has some form of branding. I’m not big on plastering logos all over myself either but if I like something I’ll wear it. It also helps that I don’t care what others think of my wardrobe.

17 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Good god No! (but like unders points out) i fucking hate Disney and that squeeky voiced c**t of a mouse, luckily for me my kid has never been into it either. Disneyland would be my own personal hell.. I would rather spend a week in Guantanamo Bay than spend a single day in that hell hole.

OG Mickey is great:

FYI, Disneyland (Anaheim, CA USA) recently raised the entry fee to $209 (US) per day, per adult . Yes really. That doesn't include parking, that's a separate fee when you pull in.

This just happened very recently, and may not have gone into effect yet.

edit - here's a song for ya :P

Edited by Muck Dynasty

22 hours ago, unders said:

Point noted, well said. My opinion extends beyond wearing brands/logos - i.e., the Patagonia vest being worn by Silicon Valley execs. 

^ For the sorts of packages we usually deal with here, yes. For smaller parcels like letters and postcards, no—none of the private post services come close to offering a viable alternative. USPS is absolutely essential.

Letters and postcards are a dying business. Also, the reason why private services are not competing on mail is that they're largely prohibited by law from doing so. 

Edited by JDelage

27 minutes ago, Broark said:

Anyone in the US received EMS shipments from Japan yet?
Just curious what your experience has been like recently before I place an order. I know the stated time is 2-3 weeks.

D9BD9FE5-652F-440A-B51C-9A66A935CB47.jpeg

gotta give a shout out to Steven Dang and the Railcar team for an extremely fast turnaround on both my pair of ct-120xk and 22oz NF elephant 2 hemming. top notch work, great price and stupid fast turn around even in these trying times.

14 hours ago, Broark said:

Anyone in the US received EMS shipments from Japan yet?
Just curious what your experience has been like recently before I place an order. I know the stated time is 2-3 weeks.

I received a DHL shipment from OD on 04/14 for an order placed on 04/03 (I'm in France).

On the other hand, I placed an order with McFly that was dropped with Jp Post (EMS) on 04/09 and the track page still shows "04/10/2020 Arrival at outward office of exchange OSAKA INT"...