Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Nama denim,  a small thai brand I follow have reacted to the lockdown and closure of their store by expanding their MTO offering. Fully customizable from coin pocket to pocket bags for about  £200. 

Never tried their jeans but the shirts and chore coat I have are great.

https://namadenim.com/collections/craft-your-own-jeans

1. Heat your oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin

2. Melt all this together in a pan over a low-ish heat: 200g of golden syrup, 2tbsp of the juice from fresh ginger, 125g of dark muscovado sugar and 125g of butter

3. While that’s melting away, sieve this stuff into a big bowl:  250g self-raising flour, 2tsp ground ginger, ½tsp ground cinnamon, 1tsp bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt

4. Mix this stuff into a bowl or jug: 2 large eggs and 240ml of milk

5. When the melting stuff has melted take it of the heat for a minute then pour it into the flour in the big bowl mixing all the time to combine the liquid and dry stuff. Try to make sure you can’t see any lumps of flour.

6. Now add the milk and egg mix - continually stirring to combine

You’ll end up with a sloppy mix which you can pour into your loaf tin and put this in the oven for about 40 minutes - check after 35 minutes by putting a skewer into the cake and see if it comes out clean. If it doesn’t then cook on until the 40 min or more if needed

On 4/8/2020 at 6:13 AM, Duke Mantee said:

... and the duchess continued her masterclass of sourdough 

767A8C11-E3DB-4638-96F4-3B15E0BB03C1.jpeg

@Duke ManteeMantee

May I ask what is your wife's recipe for her starter?

Thinking of making one but there are too many variance of making starter on the web, confusing....

@redragon classic starter would be equal parts water and flour and just waitinf, but yogurt mixed with flou also works. Used to do it a few years back aswell ;)

so basically:

Day 1: mix 50g flour 50g water in a bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature

Day2: to the day1mix add 100g flour 100g water, cover, let sit at room temperature

Day3: to the day2mix add 200g flour 200g water, cover, let sit at room temperature

Day4: usually you're ready to bake now, depending in the flour used. In general full grain works better, cause it has more enzymes that get the yeasts and bacteris working, u can mix different flours for different flavors, once your starter is a little more stable.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/ this blog is great ressource ;)

Edited by Thanks_M8

Yep that takes some getting used to, sometimes the starters start smelling like acetone, if you're not handling them right (temperature shocks, infrequent feeding), they should be tossed away then :D also gotta take care not to take the fermentation of the bread too far, else it will taste like vinegar, or worse, the gluten structure collapses.

Same thing happened on Denimbro and then the Americans threw them out.
Sounds familiar... (history repeats itself again and again and again...) 

Edit: to clarify, I don't mind the current situation. I enjoy the new activity here on Sufu :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

12 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

@redragon classic starter would be equal parts water and flour and just waitinf, but yogurt mixed with flou also works. Used to do it a few years back aswell ;)

so basically:

Day 1: mix 50g flour 50g water in a bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature

Day2: to the day1mix add 100g flour 100g water, cover, let sit at room temperature

Day3: to the day2mix add 200g flour 200g water, cover, let sit at room temperature

Day4: usually you're ready to bake now, depending in the flour used. In general full grain works better, cause it has more enzymes that get the yeasts and bacteris working, u can mix different flours for different flavors, once your starter is a little more stable.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/ this blog is great ressource ;)

Cheer!

Thank you for the link...will look into it. :)

On another note, I also have no problem with the current Brits invasion,

Incomprehensible yet charming.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Tarbuck said:

The British in their mid 40's to be precise!

Mid 40s.... flattery :D

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

mid-40s and beyond. Speaking for a friend... :ph34r2:

Not me .... honest 

5 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

I tremendously enjoy the new wave of British geezers interacting between themselves. Terrific entertainment.

Extra rep for dropping the word geezer in. Tried saying geezer with an Italian accent, doesn't have the same ring :D

26 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

To tell the truth Broark, I don’t understand half of their regional colloquialisms either!

Good to know it’s not just an American problem.