Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

18 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Alright, who makes the best T-shirt? There are lots of good ones out there. Flat Head, Warehouse, Merz B. Schwanen, 3Sixteen, Stevenson, Whitesville, Studio D'Artisan, and so on. What are your favorites?

I have a Warehouse 4601 pocket tee on the way and this tee looks like it has the most impressive collar of any tee I've seen. This could become my new favorite type if the fit is good. I have a 3Sixteen tee I like a bunch as well - I wasn't a big fan of the somewhat boxy cut when I bought it a few years ago but now I love how the thick jersey fabric drapes.

I also have store brand tees from Lone Flag and Standard & Strange - they're quite good as well and much cheaper than other higher-end ones.

The only experience I have with any aforementioned are 3Sixteen. I don’t mind the boxy shape, but they shrink weird if they get the dryer by accident.  I have a long sleeve t from them as well, and then neck stretched whereas the arms shrank to tiny proportions, like the sleeves are too small for the rest of the shirt sizing. It’s really awkward. 

@Muck DynastyMost things will shrink weird in the dryer. That's not unique to 3sixteen.

I like Lady White Co. tees a lot. The cotton is super soft, their necklines stay intact and they actually hold shape really well. They have put out some heavyweight and some new lightweight cotton styles as well. My only criticism is that I'm really in between the M and L size, like a lot of brands. 

If I messing with a cheap brand then it's Gildan. I had a bunch of Alstyle blanks that are about 12 years old that are only falling apart now. However, they don't make the same style anymore so I can't comment on how the current ones feel or hold up.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

See I have some that last, but most of mine have stitches that are fraying at the bottom along the body. Hoping WH is my new go to for tees. 

Good news: I recently emailed Kiya asking if Self Edge will stock more of WH's slub tees and maintained they're getting some in the Spring and Summer in a range of color ways. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Has anyone ever used coconut oil to darken suede ?

Heavy oils will mat down the suede hairs. Some guys like this look but absent the suede hairs it just looks like leather.

How much darker are you hoping to achieve?

There is an aerosol mink oil that works well at darkening suede a few shades but it is temporary of 2-3 months before reapplication is necessary. Its by a reputable leather dye and treatment company called Angelus. 

Coconut oils risk becoming rancid as well. 

Never tried it on suede, but when I've used coconut oil to condition smooth-out leather in a pinch it's seemed to result in a much duller finish than animal oils like mink. I've generally tried to avoid it since making this connection. Not sure whether this would transfer to suede.

One thing that doesn’t get talked about a lot on here is quality white or black undershirt tank tops.  

On another note,  Glad Hand really likes to pick eccentric models for their seasonal clothing campaigns. :laugh:

C0635849-1051-4F70-920E-ECE282A26229.jpeg

6A719782-8BC3-4000-9778-5D6447C058F3.jpeg

15 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

So my wife recently got into quilting. She’s made a few normal quilts for friends, family etc. A couple months ago she saw a set of boro quilting fabrics from japan and decided to have a go at a king size quilt, which is pretty ambitious, considering she’s been only quilting for under a year, and our little singer sewing machine can’t really handle the size of a king size quilt all at once. So below is her taking on the ludicrous task of hand sashiko sewing it all together, after she joined all the top panels together via machine. Thought you guys might be interested. 

FA1E66C2-34F2-40F6-AA6E-9F945B81CBE2.jpeg

Edit: I should mention that it’s all cotton fabric, including the top fabric, the batting, or insulated middle layer, and back layer. All cotton machine threading and sashiko thread. 

This is amazing! That thing is huge....

5 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Is The Stronghold going out of business?  Anybody remember this brand of denim?

I don't know if they are, but it always seems like it with how much they spam sales emails.
I don't think I've ever received more spam emails from a small business before. They run a sale and send a reminder email every single day. Drives me nuts.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, UkeNo said:

Just to clarify (not that I should have to)...I live on Brighton seafront. 

Hey! We must be neighbours! I live in Brighton during term time, here self isolating now. I'm by Elm Grove, I like to cycle along the coast for my 'designated exercise time.' For sure, everytime I'm out there's loads of people!

8 minutes ago, Wasim said:

Hey! We must be neighbours! I live in Brighton during term time, here self isolating now. I'm by Elm Grove, I like to cycle along the coast for my 'designated exercise time.' For sure, everytime I'm out there's loads of people!

Hey Wasim, how it going old chum?

One of my friends used to live in Brighton, Brunswick Place in one of the Regency houses, he's from Sheffield so we used to do a house swap in the summer, alas, he split with his Mrs and it was her house, >messy shit and he now lives in Killarney so it's fucked up my 'imagined' second home by the sea, i'll not hold it against him though because he was kind enough to move into my house and look after my cat while i was at Foxy's house in the Isle of Eigg B)

Is Naf Caf still there? we used to go there bleary-eyed for a fry-up, it was a great little greasy-spoon which didn't charge Brighton prices...

I'm Brighton (or, as much as I hate to say it, Hove actually) born and raised too. Just moved back here from Toronto, where I spent a couple of years, for what was supposed to be a brief stint at home with my folks before moving back up to London (where I lived before TO). Plans on hold at the moment. Still, there are worse places to weather out the storm...

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Hey Wasim, how it going old chum?

One of my friends used to live in Brighton, Brunswick Place in one of the Regency houses, he's from Sheffield so we used to do a house swap in the summer, alas, he split with his Mrs and it was her house, >messy shit and he now lives in Killarney so it's fucked up my 'imagined' second home by the sea, i'll not hold it against him though because he was kind enough to move into my house and look after my cat while i was at Foxy's house in the Isle of Eigg B)

Is Naf Caf still there? we used to go there bleary-eyed for a fry-up, it was a great little greasy-spoon which didn't charge Brighton prices...

DAMN Neal - I live there now!

So that's me, @Wasim @Kit Carruthers

@The Clerk,  @Double 0 Soul (if he can get his summer house back), all in Brighton (and Hove, actually).
Pretty sure @MJF9 is down the road as well.

I propose a catch-up is in order. Beer or coffee etc,  When we're not all house bound. Maybe we can get the weekenders to visit from London as well?

I alwaysknew people in Brighton were cool. This just confirms it ;) 

@UkeNo I'm only a holiday maker when in Brighton I'm afraid.  A cousin lives in Saltdean so stayed there and nearby in Airbnb's quite a bit... explaining my posts when out and about.  Always have a great time.  If that post-corona catch up ever happens, will see if I can make the trip down from the cold, dark north...  

@Double 0 Soul Hey Neal, so lovely to hear from you! I messaged you in the other thread, I need to get used to posting on here again (and forums in general) I'm ok thanks, it's all a bit crazy here with what's going on; a lot of my friends are either front line or in ER so it's genuinely scary. We're on standby but go back in two weeks time, so been enjoying the solitude and focusing on myself for once. How have you been, how's family? I was reading through some of the treads, I'm so sorry about the bikes, I hope you are rewarded with something much better and those who did it are brought to justice. Even though I've been living here for two years now nearly, because of med it's hard to find time to explore, I'm always just stealing moments to go into town. I do love it here though, I bumped into Saeed finally (Story MFG) and he seems really cool. I think Btown is full of cool cats. You need to come down, it will be lovely to finally meet.

Edited by Wasim

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

So that's me, @Wasim @Kit Carruthers

@The Clerk,  @Double 0 Soul (if he can get his summer house back), all in Brighton (and Hove, actually).
Pretty sure @MJF9 is down the road as well.

I propose a catch-up is in order. Beer or coffee etc,  When we're not all house bound. Maybe we can get the weekenders to visit from London as well?

I alwaysknew people in Brighton were cool. This just confirms it ;) 

This sounds awesome! My friend Tom (unitedoverallsco) does this meet up thing in London, so it'll be nice to have our own Brighton one :cool: 

I also know that ruggedthreads lives here too, so we should invite him too! not sure if he's on here but I'm friends with him on IG.

Can you believe I STILL haven't been to Dawson yet!? Crazy.

4 hours ago, Kit Carruthers said:

I'm Brighton (or, as much as I hate to say it, Hove actually) born and raised too. Just moved back here from Toronto, where I spent a couple of years, for what was supposed to be a brief stint at home with my folks before moving back up to London (where I lived before TO). Plans on hold at the moment. Still, there are worse places to weather out the storm...

Oh nice! I've been on placement at the GP practise a few times, Hove Medical Centre? Hove is cool, I think theres a few vintage shops there too? Where in London did you live? I'm originally from Harrow.

@Wasim Hove Medical Centre! Very near to my secondary school, Blatchington Mill. My GP was always Montpellier Surgery. Hove’s pretty nice these days, and a bit more interesting than it was when I was growing up. I’m pretty close to Dawson’s garage, as a matter of fact, and only a half hour walk to centre of Brighton, so pretty well placed. 

I was in Peckham for a few years while I was working at the BBC. Most of my mates are still in that neck of the woods, so I’m around there often... or I was, until the shit hit the fan.

I’d be in for a Brighton meet, whenever that may be possible again.