Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

42 minutes ago, Flash said:

What you guys doing to pass the time in lockdown

Being a lazy f***er.. at the end of last summer i put my Petromax cast iron grill/dutch oven away in the shed, still full of ash and covered in grease, over the winter it's started to rust so ive just cleaned and conditioned it all ready for the summer.

IMG_8945

IMG_8945

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Well in the last week or 2 I've learned BF is a QC manager for a juice company and Flash is a welder, what over professions/ job titles we got here?

I'm an Area Operations Manager for a multinational company,  looking after confidential records etc

I work in sales operations for a furniture wholesaler, we act as the middle man between large companies and the vendors overseas. So I just do a lot of inventory reporting, planning and import logistics work most of the time.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

What you guys doing to pass the time in lockdown 

After finally getting my flour it was time to make my pizza 

20200329_113157

Candied bacon for the toppings ( mushrooms too )

20200329_12264920200329_130436

Wasted as a welder I am 

20200329_134423

nicely done mate.
I've done one whole wheat dough pizza with anchovies, cime di rapa, garlic and chili.

5 minutes ago, Spiraltoy said:

And finally everyone gets to hear volvos sweet sweet Italian voice.

I sent that snippet to my sister who's a chef, and was just saying her that there was a glass of oil in the pizza topping :D

I am obsessed with cime di rapa (I think it's broccoli rabe in English?). They do to me what spinaches do to Popeye and cocaine to Diego Armando Maradona.

I have started a garden mainly out of the purpose of growing my own cime di rapa.

here's orecchiette with cime di rapa,

IMG_20200321_135115.jpg.9d280bb6c7babaee0616d4ef1bbe8921.jpg

spaghetti quadrati.

IMG_20200326_132940.jpg.ae47ac1c5853344d9a0a53be73914c0c.jpg

I eat them everyday, and I panic when I'm running short. A less expensive addiction than denim, at least.

23 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Cime di rapa is good. We non-Italians don't often associate Italian food with greens. When in Rome last Fall I had a puntarelle salad and that was awesome.

Puntarelle are phenomenal, especially when someone else has to clean them. They take forever to clean and prep.

Good to get a glimpse of what everyone's up to. During the weeks, I'm a grad student working on research in atomic physics. I took some photos last year during my leg of the Leroy contest to give a bit of a lab tour:

bpxvwip.jpg

There's a desk with some computers and a whole mess of cables (it's wild to look back at this now and see how much messier it's gotten since…):

P0ohbh2.jpg

Ni2AUZz.jpg

There's water; there's power; there're lasers:

k1asF7S.jpg

6iXpawY.jpg

6CD6OyG.jpg

IlRHh7w.jpg

All the science happens in a vacuum chamber that turns out to be pretty annoying to get signals into and out of…

NDuzNxC.jpg

…but, when everything goes right, a few thousand rubidium atoms make their way between two very reflective mirrors along with four or five quanta of light and get together to tell us something neat about the world.

rbNcnZY.jpg

This would all be much better-suited for the What are your Jeans Doing Today thread, if only I was allowed to be doing any of this these days…

On the weekends I work for a local farm selling produce at the markets. Day starts off with a full truck and an empty road. We're one of the bigger farms that comes to this market, which means showing up plenty early to get all set up.

IbCLrXg.jpg

kyWEbkk.jpg

18ij7R6.jpg

Mq7fEBw.jpg

Eventually: a mostly-empty truck and a road full of folks shopping.

JZZgcXZ.jpg

Ty4r52R.jpg

IpO7YJY.jpg

Around 20–30 vendors (farms, bakeries, etc.) show up, pickings never slim.

R0a13uR.jpg

2Ls1Fp0.jpg

A couple of quick snaps of the world tour jeans in action while I'm here, since these photos are from the same batch as the above lab tour:

drCQwQM.jpg

GMtWBLt.jpg

At the end of the day, everything un-sold goes back in the truck in a tidy fashion, and occasional treasures are found…

RwwrC7L.jpg

2vWELqk.jpg

@julian-wolf are the farmers markets still going for you? we've been part of the meat CSA with Markegard Family Farms for a while but haven't braved any farmers markets in a month or so. We've just been picking it up at their UCSF stand. I imagine smaller farms are hurting. 

I'm the assistant buyer at self edge and manage the SF store. I used to work as a musician too. I was a musician for hire for other groups for a while and then wrote jingles and occasional soundtracks for small films. With general life business and now a kid, I haven't searched for gigs in a while and just mainly stick with playing and writing for fun with my own bands. 

@youngofthesoonest, yeah, markets are still open in Berkeley—can't speak to the rest of the area, as we only show up here and in Sacramento (also still open). They've been really hectic, but have started to get into an okay groove as of this past week. Lines are well-spaced; overall attendance is metered and limited; and the whole shopping process has been flipped around such that no customers come in contact with the food until we've picked it out for them, and such that there's a strong division between those of us who handle cash and those of us who handle produce. Having been to a couple of grocery stores recently, I can honestly say that this felt like a safer and more responsible option.

That said, making it work smoothly has required almost 2x the staff we usually keep, and on top of that you're right to guess that local farms are already hurting: we've seen more CSA orders and in-person sales at the markets than ever, actually, but with a majority of the product generally going to now-shuttered restaurants, business overall seems to be extremely slow. Folks will lose their jobs and their land over this.

Edited by julian-wolf

2 hours ago, d-rew12 said:

I'm a marine/fisheries biologist. Was kind of nice being deemed essential for once! Nice to see environmental agencies being deemed essential haha even if it is mainly for water/money. 

I did a detail with the fisheries and wildlife folks at my agency. It was pretty awesome. Got to spend some time building beaver dam analogues and electro fishing and eDNA sampling. 

Edited by SuperJackle