Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I do indeed, I also remember fondly.. after CH4's success with NBA Raw they showed the first All Star Game but to make it more commercially viable they decided to forgo the knowledgeable American commentators from RAW and employed a very young, very clueless Clare Balding, if was just comedy gold "he's thrown the ball to a tall black fellow" "it was intercepted by another tall black fellow with multi-coloured hair" que furiously checking notes.. "Sat in the audience is Ang Lee (checks earpiece)... i mean Spike Lee :D

19 hours ago, MJF9 said:

That is serious bad luck. The vintage luxury brand market is doing so well these days.

I invested in a Destroy reversible bomber jacket in about 91 (when it was fresh and new!). Black and white one side, a kind of perforated red and black on the reserve (which remained on the reverse).  I wish I still had it for the vintage reasons above. 

I kept my 1985 era 'Blue Label' AJ1 satin jacket until a decade ago.. i got it in a trade for a Levi's jacket sometime around 1988, i sold it around 2005/6 for £600, it was mint (apart from the odd hot-rock hole) the zipper was still working, the pull was attached and the snap fasteners were all black, the paint tended to chip off if you ever put them in the washing machine.

fullsizeoutput_1e6d

Worn here with some old SC Oki's on the sale photo's

fullsizeoutput_1e6f

21 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Always good to read Bartles expertly considered high-brow input. This reminds me of The Chap’s wonderful use of ‘anarcho-dandyist’, although for a slightly different aesthetic.

I’m strongly coming down in favour of Illoominati these days.

always a pleasure sir!

I choose anachro-dandy over 'heritage-wear' any day... 

and a firm yesyesyes to the 90s trainer fashion lessons above...

& I remember floral tee shirts from paul smith in floral st...

(and yes, to add to the bpm memories... first encounters with gabber in hackney squats towards mid-90s... in neon lime Adidas) 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

We used to cut the padded tongue off old trainers and pack it behind the tongue of our States for extra fatness.

Or a piece of wire inserted into the tongue to hold it optimal position

On 2/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, mpukas said:

I've been pondering this lately too... and I've come up with "timeless, high-quality, heritage workwear-inspired menswear". Yeah, I know, too much of a mouthful of adjectives. Doesn't really work... But how else can you describe it to friends that know nothing of this rabbit hole? 

Heritage whores. At least it’s phonetically alliterative.

Since Nike and other brands are being affected by the coronavirus financially, I'm just curious if stores here in the US and abroad that stock the Japanese brands we like are also getting affected as well such as shipments and travel overseas.  I was actually surprised that InspirationLA still went on this year.

25 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Since Nike and other brands are being affected by the coronavirus financially, I'm just curious if stores here in the US and abroad that stock the Japanese brands we like are also getting affected as well such as shipments and travel overseas.  I was actually surprised that InspirationLA still went on this year.

I'm wondering the same. I think we are only in the beginning stages of this pandemic.

Surprisingly most of our Chinese vendors are already up and running and shipping product, at least in my industry. Local governments were focusing on reopening essential businesses and now the nonessential businesses are getting approval to return to work. Same goes for Vietnam. I think we’ll see delays but nothing major. I think people are overreacting a bit, it’s good for the media business.

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I like your thought pattern tho gents, when faced with a potential threat to humanity, your main concern is 'how could this impact on my ability to purchase nice clothing'

if we are all to die I prefer to be buried wearing some fancy stuff B)

Went to Superstitch, in Paris, to get a couple pairs hemmed. He just opened his own space a week ago, in the center of Paris near the Latin Quarter. He seems super knowledgeable and was extremely welcoming, offering espressos to his customers & chatting about construction details.

15021314-6260-44E4-B5B7-FB15B5597BA9.jpeg

E26EE641-E534-4DE4-B50D-5C313FE857DB.jpeg

C9803450-C207-4331-887A-3CC2D161F0CE.jpeg

96EF9099-21C5-4736-A5A7-6E3B31F8B00C.jpeg

80DF3DDA-351B-478E-8AF5-C3C7740149E2.jpeg

I just wanted to say that I'm so, so glad this forum is still alive and kicking. I hadn't logged on in years and figured everyone had moved on to Instragram or Reddit (god forbid), but the same folks are still here! I love it. 

6 minutes ago, Broark said:

Glad to see you back!

Glad to be back! I'm wearing a new pair of jeans again, hence my return. I've just been cycling through old pairs and Buzz chinos for the last few years or so. 

Since we moved house...  i haven't got a woodland on my doorstep anymore for mushroom hunting :(... to make up for it, a friend of mine bought me a box of coffee grounds impregnated with my oyster mushroom mycelium so ive been growing my own.

IMG_8807
..after 14 days
IMG_8807

Breakfast

IMG_8807

You get around 3 harvests from the box then you can dig the coffee grounds into the garden B)

When i cleared out/insulated my cellar i was left with a cold dark room which i don't use so i researched building a semi-commercial mushroom grow, inquired at the local (and plentyful) vegan resturants regarding supply.. and as much as it's enthusiastically promoted by folks on the internet who sell the kit, it's just not economically viable on such small scale.. it would take years (if ever) just to get a return on my initial investment.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

If you're ever feeling flush mlwdp, Toys McCoy make a beautiful civilian leather N-1, there's been numerous versions over the years re- stencils, Felix the Cat and such, there's was a San Pedro MC version in the 2012 catalogue which might suit your biker steeze but this rarely seen plain version was always my favourite.

Damn!

https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/83109037_872039169884704_288604326652182568_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=919QEGSHOKcAX_Bhx1M&oh=e29e928debf85856087d34935cf25b34&oe=5ED46D9A

20 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

@Double 0 Soul have you been watching Back In Time for the Corner Shop? A family are running a period-correct corner shop from the 1890s through to the 1990s in Meersbrook - is that near you?

It's not no, but i know where it is.. one of my friends lives nr by, i remember him telling me back in the summer that the old corner shop on his street had re-opened and they had painted it a horrible pink colour... a couple of weeks later he said "they've painted it blue now and there's old tins of OXO cubes in the window" i forgot all about it, then a couple of Sundays ago he phoned me up and said "put BBC2 on! that's the shop i was on about last year"

..i keep meaning to watch it.