Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

9 hours ago, IDIOT BITCH said:

If they're loose enough not to impede movement what is wrong with climbing in jeans? What else would he wipe his hands on between/during climbs? What do you think other climbers wipe their hands on? "Don't baby your jeans, let them reflect your life and the things you do in them" used to be the mantra around here and seeing that fade, so to speak, is...strange

Nothing is inherently wrong with it, it's just sort of funny when its touted as a method for natural fades. Come to think of it, it's probably cheaper to climb in jeans than some of the climbing/athletic apparel I've seen nowadays lol

Looking forward to the extra-chalky fades, guys :P

I just saw a post on Blue Owl's IG for a restock on Momotaro's Zimbabwe cotton, and it got me wondering, has Mugabe's ousting in 2017 changed anything as far as ethical sourcing concerns go? I remember discussions back in like 2015-16 saying that buying it would be essentially supporting the Mugabe regime, and after reading this recent article, I'm inclined to believe things are probably not great? But I'm not sure if anyone has a clearer take on the matter.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/28483/after-mugabe-zimbabwe-leadership-is-still-stifling-its-youth

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 12:56 AM, Coolguyzack said:

Looking forward to the extra-chalky fades, guys :P

I just saw a post on Blue Owl's IG for a restock on Momotaro's Zimbabwe cotton, and it got me wondering, has Mugabe's ousting in 2017 changed anything as far as ethical sourcing concerns go? I remember discussions back in like 2015-16 saying that buying it would be essentially supporting the Mugabe regime, and after reading this recent article, I'm inclined to believe things are probably not great? But I'm not sure if anyone has a clearer take on the matter.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/28483/after-mugabe-zimbabwe-leadership-is-still-stifling-its-youth

Great consideration for several brands that rely on Zimbabwe long-fiber cotton such as SC.

But can we ever get a reliable report from fair-trade type certification agencies?

Not being cynical, are there some you trust? Thanks

It's true, every friend of mine who has moved to London over the last 25yrs have all waved goodbye to their fat salaries and left.
My next door but one neighbour is from Hackney (and still retained a thick accent B)) he moved here for the bouldering/climbing scene in the late 80's started a family and never went back and my next door but two neighbours moved to London for the £££ but moved back here to start a family....

I'm not sure 'Lucy Campbell' knows what 'gentrification' means tho.. the West of the city has been middle-class since the 1850's, its the soul-less Kelham Island which has been gentrified :angry:
Im half way through a local history book on the subject. "The Growth of Ranmoor, Hangingwater and Nether Green" by Peter Warr, it's a good read.

The past month I've bought a few things from Japan, although most aren't shipped by EMS but still goes through Japan post and they seem to be taking at least an extra week or two to arrive to me in the US. So not totally sure but seems Japan post is running a bit slower the past month or two. 

For UK at least Fedex seems to be running fine. I had something shipped from Japan yesterday and it's due tomorrow.

I've discovered FedEx to way more efficient than EMS once you factor in that EMS shipments have to go through UK parcel force customs.

Check out my li'll phone

IMG_8785

Last wk i got drenched in storm Ciara on my commute to work, when i took my phone out of the back pocket of my cycle jacket it needed a charge so i plugged it in and left it... a couple of hours later i picked it up and it was 'off' but mad-hot, i couldn't turn it on so opened up the battery compartment and it was full of water...long/short its fucked but it was only a £10 90's typ phone from Tesco, ive never had a smart phone or want one (i only send 5 or 6 txt's or calls /mth) ...but i did want a small phone which i can fit in the chest pocket of my Paramo midlayer.
I honestly expected this kickstarter to be a piece of novelty shite but its actually a dope ass little phone which works a charm. It's only around 40mm x 20mm x 12mm so no good for sausage fingers but brilliant for shoving up your arse when visiting loved ones in prison... i would imagine.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Obviously, most of us here wear good denim, sweatshirts, chambray/denim/flannel shirts, denim/leather/military style jackets, quality footwear (whether boots, shoes, sneakers, etc). Do you consider a name for this style other than the obvious (although to me, cringeworthy) ‘denimhead’? The one I like, which, I think, is used by Free & Easy magazine, is ‘Rugged Man’ style.

I've been pondering this lately too... and I've come up with "timeless, high-quality, heritage workwear-inspired menswear". Yeah, I know, too much of a mouthful of adjectives. Doesn't really work... But how else can you describe it to friends that know nothing of this rabbit hole?