Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

The article was quite good and debunks a few myths about raw denim. Doesn't talk about initial soaking, though -- I'm a believer in a hot soak to get extra dye out in the tub rather than on your white oxford shirts and tan suede boots...

54 minutes ago, peter1 said:

The article was quite good and debunks a few myths about raw denim. Doesn't talk about initial soaking, though -- I'm a believer in a hot soak to get extra dye out in the tub rather than on your white oxford shirts and tan suede boots...

I think an initial wash is a lot more effective than a hot soak in the tub though;)

Forget about the washing machine or freezer i've found that the only way to get your jeans absolutely free from bacteria is to seal them in a vacuum chamber for 15mins, the little bacteria's cant fucking stand the high pressure and they explode.. through a microscope it looks like a scene from Scanners.

Take it from me, It's the only way to get sick-ass fadezzz

P1020608

..let's see how long it takes for this bollocks to permiate into denim-consciousness, keep your eye on Reddit people.

4 hours ago, Coolguyzack said:

Ziploc bags lol. Sorry mom, can't risk getting freezer burn on my jeans 

I think the ziploc bags are required less to prevent freezer burn on the jeans, and more to protect your food from jeans that have not been washed in five years (with the exception of ocean washes, of course). 

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Forget about the washing machine or freezer i've found that the only way to get your jeans absolutely free from bacteria is to seal them in a vacuum chamber for 15mins, the little bacteria's cant fucking stand the high pressure and they explode.. through a microscope it looks like a scene from Scanners.

Take it from me, It's the only way to get sick-ass fadezzz

P1020608

..let's see how long it takes for this bollocks to permiate into denim-consciousness, keep your eye on Reddit people.

Gonna need a step-by-step guide in order for this to spread as a 'thing'. 

Come on Neal. Don't half arse this revolution in denim cleaning ;)

2 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

This is what happens when you soak a 20/30/40? Year old LL Bean Wool jacket. 

Did you use Woolite or any mild non-detergent?

Its probably going to shrink quite abit and maybe would have been better off at a drycleaner.

How do you intend to dry it?

Edited by Pedro

28 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Did you use Woolite or any mild non-detergent?

Its probably going to shrink quite abit and maybe would have been better off at a drycleaner.

How do you intend to dry it?

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

BTW, there should be some caulk between the top outer edge of sink and the butcher block counter or you will get grunge and wood rot back there.

Mate, it's decades old and cost pennies. 
it wreaked and couldn't be worn without a wash. Yes I used a wool detergent. 
don't worry about my counter tops - got fairly decent carpentry skills, oh, and drying & general cleaning up skills. 

as a side note: it's getting a bit boring whereby you chime in every time to instruct people on the whys and wherefores of cleaning and washing their garments. Great if you know a good deal about it but it isn't always necessary to deal out corrections every time people wash or discuss the process of washing. This was supposed to be fun - if it shrinks I'll repair it and give it to my wife. She'll be made up. 

Edit: There's a silicone based anti bacterial silicone sealer between the counter and sink. Caulk would crack. 

Edited by UkeNo

5 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Mate, it's decades old and cost pennies. 
it wreaked and couldn't be worn without a wash. Yes I used a wool detergent. 
don't worry about my counter tops - got fairly decent carpentry skills, oh, and drying & general cleaning up skills. 

as a side note: it's getting a bit boring whereby you chime in every time to instruct people on the whys and wherefores of cleaning and washing their garments. Great if you know a good deal about it but it isn't always necessary to deal out corrections every time people wash or discuss the process of washing. This was supposed to be fun - if it shrinks I'll repair it and give it to my wife. She'll be made up. 

Edit: There's a silicone based anti bacterial silicone sealer between the counter and sink. Caulk would crack. 

Edit:

No disrespect was intended in either of my posts above. My only purpose in providing wash/dry instructions is to help guys care for and extend the life of their fine quality garments because there is alot of misinformation floating about. 

I didn’t want others to think soaking vintage wool as you did can be done without consideration. The jacket may have cost you pennies but I believe these older garments have an inherent value far greater than a few pennies and should be treated with care. Same for your kitchen sink. I did not realize you did the installation yourself. Its a good choice of butcher block and basin and nicely installed. I just didn’t want to see it get ruined and the fact is it can use an oiling. I can see where the wood is dark just above the basin from absorbing water. Since you know about such things then you know this leads to cracking or splitting. 

I have a great appreciation for vintage materials and quality craftsmanship being properly cared for and, after thinking over your post, its fair to say I worry more for these things than whether I hurt your feelings...although I didn’t mean to ruin anybodys fun. 

I sincerely apologize. 

Edit:  "Caulk" is an all-purpose term. Not sure what your common vernacular is in GB but caulk just means any type of sealant. I caulk wooden boat hulls using oakum...but its still called caulk and caulking.

BTW, that last fit pic you posted, well, the pants make your hips look big. There. Now we’re even.   ;-)

Edited by Pedro

4 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

It says on their Twitter bio that they closed down on January 15th, they're definitely closed, unfortunately.

I remember when Rodeo Bros went through a similar situation but later restructured and changed their name to Auc-Rodeo and went digital store only.