Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Posted under the 'general nonsense' banner...

We bought mini-soul a 24" mtb for Christmas, a sweet-ass Norco 4.3.

Over the last week its been in our dining room because i also brought my mtb home from work for the Christmas period so we could hit the trails.. ive had my mtb and my commuter bike locked under our bike shed (only enough room for 2 bikes) but i'm back at work tomorrow so yesterday i took my mtb back to work and locked the boys brand new mtb along with my commuter under the bike shed, first fucking night outdoors and some c**ts have stolen both of our bikes in the night.

It's only stuff.. but stuff that isn't insured, worst still the Norco's are now out of stock with a '24th May' pre-order date, so i have one traumatised l'ill boy on my hands.

Thanks for the commiserations chaps, looks like they've come prepared (rather than opportunist) with bolt croppers, they've cut through a hardened steel lock, no bother.

Had a generic txt reply from the fuzz, we're not actively investigating the crime due to lack of evidence, if you need victim support... blah, blah ect.

I'm not sure, ive had all three bikes propped up against our wall at the back of the house for the last week, ive been using the commuter for going to the shops and the other two mtb's drying off when ive washed all the mud off before putting them away for the night, bringing soul-boy's indoors and locking the other two under the bike shed. One of the neighbours suspects these peeps who cram shit through your letterbox, take-out flyers and such, ive got no other explanation as to who else would know they were there.

I'm going to have to go to work in the old Volvo tomorrow and commute on the mtb for the forseeable...

Fucking wankers!

Sadly not Martin.. when i took out the household insurance with Nationwide the wording required the bikes be locked in a  garage or secure (deadbolted) shed, i don't have a garage and my shed is more of a summer house with windows and such, it's far from what the insurance company deems 'secure'
I was keeping  my commuter and the boys BMX locked under that bike shed that i made out of oak with the living roof, they didn't have that much value to them so i invested the 'insurance' money in heavy duty locks instead. It was only when i added the boys mtb to the mix that the value really required insuring.. which i would have looked into this week... hindsight ect.

Anyway.. i can't get hold of a 'Norco 4.3' anywhere in the UK till May the 24th it seems like Evans cycles are the sole supplier, i had it on Christmas pre-order. If any Euro-denim-peeps are kind enough would you please have a look into Norco stockist (who ship worldwide) in your respective territories, if it means paying an extra £70 for UK shipping on top of the price of the bike, its worth it to put a smile back on my boy's face. Thx, i'll really appreciate it.

Random, but it intrested me as BKK is my favourite place in the world,  so I thought I'd share. An opening piece and a photo essay on Khlogtoey, the city's often maligned, notorious riverside slum. 

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/the-many-faces-of-khlongtoey/

http://facesofkhlongtoey.com/home/

@Geeman

Terribly sad. I run these neighborhoods most every morning quite early and have for years. I have walked through them at midnight and later on nights I can’t sleep. Never a problem.

Will the eviction happen within the year or drag on for ten years? I don’t think even a Thai knows with certainty so this farang sure doesn’t. 

Great contribution.

Thankyou

On 12/19/2019 at 10:46 PM, 1fookntitefd said:

One of the things I always wondered are is if there any "benefits" to buying unwashed other than the novelty and experience of soaking your jeans in a bath tub? i.e. is it easier to get sick fadez, do the jeans last longer, or any other benefits of buying unwashed? So far I've only bought unwashed because I bought mostly FH, TSG, and IronHeart and mostly from SE but am thinking of going the one-wash route next time around unless there is a reason not to do so. 

One wash is a simple way of buying denim but if you do a qick soak with very little fabric softner you can keep more of the starch in the denim and have more control over how much starch is kept in the denim. i find when it stays soaking for too long you lose alot of the starch. when i do a soak i only leave it for 20 mins than use the shower head to get rid of any soap that may still be in the denim using near cold temp. Than hang dry, and always comes out very rigid but more comfortable than wearing raw.

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Fucking hell! are they still banging this old drum?... i don't think anybody has suggested sticking their jeans in the freezer since 2009.

Did you read the article?

In the opening paragraph the author says:

Across the internet, you’ll find articles, forums — hell, entire websites — devoted to the art of denim maintenance. Some connoisseurs insist you need to wait a year before washing jeans if you want Instagram-worthy fades; in the meantime, they suggest, getting the stink out is as easy as throwing them in the freezer.

But then all of the experts they interview say this is silly. 

6 hours ago, Quoise1203 said:

In the opening paragraph the author says:

Across the internet, you’ll find articles, forums — hell, entire websites — devoted to the art of denim maintenance. Some connoisseurs insist you need to wait a year before washing jeans if you want Instagram-worthy fades; in the meantime, they suggest, getting the stink out is as easy as throwing them in the freezer.

But then all of the experts they interview say this is silly. 

...and further down the article they reiterate "Don't freeze your jeans" but as per my point, nobody has since around 2009

I meant Gear Patrol b_F or whoever wrote the article

I only scanned it Kiya, does the world really need more self proclaimed experts telling us what we should or shouldn't do with our own clothes? the opening line says
"Across the internet, you’ll find articles, forums — hell, entire websites — devoted to the art of denim maintenance"
So here's another one to add to the list.
"Sigh"

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

...and further down the article they reiterate "Don't freeze your jeans" but as per my point, nobody has since around 2009

I meant Gear Patrol b_F or whoever wrote the article

I only scanned it Kiya, does the world really need more self proclaimed experts telling us what we should or shouldn't do with our own clothes? the opening line says
"Across the internet, you’ll find articles, forums — hell, entire websites — devoted to the art of denim maintenance"
So here's another one to add to the list.
"Sigh"

Trust me, many people still freeze their jeans, we encounter it all the time at our stores and even via our customer service email with people asking how long they should freeze the jeans for, if they should put them in a ziplock back, etc.. So yes, it still is happening, all around the world.  

This article wasn't written for anyone reading this right now, it's written for those who have never been on a forum and maybe never even been into a speciality store selling raw denim.  Also it seems as if you think we (Jeremy, Merz, & myself) asked them to write this article.. they come to us with questions and we answer them because that's what you do when the press asks questions and you own a retail store.   I agree that there are hundreds of similar articles out there saying the same exact things.

Edited by kiya

I'll take your word for it, ive not heard of anyone freezing their jeans in forum-land for a good decade.

No, i don't think that, my post was directed at the article rather than you peeps.

Whats wrong with "When your jeans are dirty... wash them" it doesn't need to be anymore complicated, some of my jeans i don't even wash inside out yet they all turn out just fine, no myths perpetuated.. but don't take my word for it, always consult an expert. ;)