Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Generally I prefer raw vs the industrial one wash process that most brands use where the denim comes out super soft. As much as I enjoyed my sugar cane 1947/Okinawa OW jeans, whenever i feel the fabrics in the raw state, I wish I had the raw versions and did my own wash/soak.

On a side note I have noticed though that some fabrics do get a noticeably different color/hand feel when comparing an unworn washed and dried and an unworn one that was just soaked and air dried. I wish I got some photo examples but I think it’s most noticeable with non slubby fabrics. The wash and dry from the beginning makes the fabric pucker in a way that almost makes it feel like it could be a slubby denim or it has a slightly streaky look. I’ve noticed it with the sda flagship 15oz denim and also with Roy’s black seed denim. I wonder if it has something to do with the fabric shrinking so much in one go that it torques it in a way that it wouldn’t do if it shrank more gradually over the course of many wears and washes. 

Ultimately i think it’s nit picky and i don’t think it really makes a huge difference in how the jeans look in the end after a years worth of wear but it does change the wear experience especially in the beginning. The advantage of not having to guess on the fit is quite nice though with one washed. 

Some brands now do a soak process that leaves the fabric feeling pretty good. 

I tend to get one-wash jeans these days. If I'm worried there's still some shrinkage left in a one-wash pair then I'll just wash them again before wearing. When I bought unwashed jeans, I double washed them anyway so it hasn't made a difference to me. 

To be honest, I've never been a fan of having my jeans gradually shrink with every wash. That's why I don't do simple cold/hot soaks and line dries, but rather machine washes and tumble dries. 

My first few pairs were raw.  I didn’t get into one wash style until I started looking at price vs functionality for me as I was constantly losing weight and paying a lot of money for raw while this is happening wasn’t a good investment for me at the time.

Once I stated developing favorites with brands like Sugar Cane, Trophy, Japan Blue, etc, I just figured I’ll stick with one wash for now.  Only Roy and OOE could get me to pursue raw right now.

most people it seems don't like the "moving combs" look that happens when raw jeans continue to shrink in length as you wash them (especially when you only do a light soak in the beginning), but i do:

23064985069_d7e428fbfd_c.jpg

23324497092_64083a65c8_c.jpg

45 minutes ago, JDelage said:

What are the special design elements you've seen done for "contest" jean runs? Special patches of course. Anything else?

I think they usually include a custom woven tag and maybe some special pocket bags (like IDC and tcb 20s contest)

15 hours ago, mlwdp said:

If a webshop offers payment using PayPal, are they required to offer international shipping since they’re using this service?

there is no connection: you can use paypal and deliver only to your neighbourhood

On 12/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, mpukas said:

My girlfriend said that if I look at my jeans one more time, she'd leave. I'm gonna miss her. 

My wife put me out the house because I kept asking her how my Roy’s fit while we decorated the Xmas tree

1 hour ago, givemefive said:

so you need to pay $10 to become a member here now.

I understand the owner put a lot of money into developing things recently but there are plenty of free options nowadays.  

I saw this a couple months back when I had to sign in again. Strange. 

$10 once and that's all? can't say it's too bad

at least it's the one thing that can prevent this forum from "hey, I deleted half of the topics we had to free some server space"

nowadays niche forums don't bring much cash from ads so you would try to find other ways to keep afloat

I donate $25 to Wikipedia every year.

A one time $10 to get all the wealth of info I have on here from experts is nothing. Heck, the first time the forum members save you from ordering the wrong size and you save all the expense of sending it back more than pays for the $10.

Edited by Pedro

Asking active members to donate isn't at all unreasonable—most long-lasting forums that I've been a part of have had some sort of donation system in place. All adding a sign-up fee will realistically do, though, is prevent people from signing up.

The rate at which we've gained new members over the last couple of years (I'm speaking for Superdenim in particular, but based on the ever-present sidebar it seems like we're the majority of the activity overall, so…) is already extremely low; it's not like there's high demand for a spot here. Those of us posting now have spent time using the forum and have benefited from it directly, and I'd bet that many of us wouldn't hesitate to donate if prompted, but the folks that are being asked to pay have no vested interest in the forum and no reason to think it's worth the sign-up fee.

Of course: I'm saying all this without access to the actual numbers—maybe since they've added the fee the sign-ups have continued at the same rate as always…but I'd be real surprised if that was the case.

Edited by julian-wolf

@julian-wolf

Thats well considered. From my own experience, I did not recognize the value of this forum immediately and would have been turned off by the $10. 

I probably would have focused on a different Denim forum such as Denimbro, etc..

Several forums offer free access with advertising and a Premium Membership $$ sans ads. That allows new denim enthusiasts an opportunity to get a taste.

Edited by Pedro

On 11/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, Flash said:

Anyone know if there has been a reproduction made of these early ww2 lee’s ? 

48777630166_a7787e9567_z.jpg

These WH 1010's via Takashi's Denim Gallery tick some of the boxes Ryan.. nice early shaped pockets, UFO's ect but sadly no hair on, i can't embed the link for some reason, email me if you want it.

WARE HOUSE 1010

warehouse_1010_front1.jpg warehouse_1010_back.jpg

It is 1010 warehouse jeans.

The original of this jeans is a so-called Lee war model.
Unlike the jeans from 2004, the 1010 with the NEW1001XX fabric, it is an old model that was previously released.
Features include no coin pocket rivets and a laurel donut button.
However, since it is a war model, there are no fixed specifications, and various specifications seem to exist.
This model reproduces specifications such as left leather patches, right twill denim, arcuate, and UFO rivets.
The silhouette is still thick.
It is unknown if the fabric is the same as 1001 in the same warehouse, but it feels softer than 1001.
Stupid coin pockets, crotch rivets, and distinctive buttonholes.
Although it is clunky, it looks quite fresh when looking at only Levi's type.
I think the leather patch on this jeans is probably the same as the old version 1002.
No change! This patch was unpopular.
I applied the oil. Only the color has become astringent (laughs) The ears are the same as other products.
But it is thicker than 1001 mag.

40 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

These WH 1010's via Takashi's Denim Gallery tick some of the boxes Ryan.. nice early shaped pockets, UFO's ect but sadly no hair on, i can't embed the link for some reason, email me if you want it.

WARE HOUSE 1010

warehouse_1010_front1.jpg warehouse_1010_back.jpg

It is 1010 warehouse jeans.

The original of this jeans is a so-called Lee war model.
Unlike the jeans from 2004, the 1010 with the NEW1001XX fabric, it is an old model that was previously released.
Features include no coin pocket rivets and a laurel donut button.
However, since it is a war model, there are no fixed specifications, and various specifications seem to exist.
This model reproduces specifications such as left leather patches, right twill denim, arcuate, and UFO rivets.
The silhouette is still thick.
It is unknown if the fabric is the same as 1001 in the same warehouse, but it feels softer than 1001.
Stupid coin pockets, crotch rivets, and distinctive buttonholes.
Although it is clunky, it looks quite fresh when looking at only Levi's type.
I think the leather patch on this jeans is probably the same as the old version 1002.
No change! This patch was unpopular.
I applied the oil. Only the color has become astringent (laughs) The ears are the same as other products.
But it is thicker than 1001 mag.

Looks pretty close mate , even has the steel rivets 

Anyone doing a No Buy 2020? I think I may buy 1 pair of jeans (something I’ve had my eye on) but other than that I’m trying to buy nothing else (again) unless I’m replacing something that has worn out or I’m selling. I failed last year but didn’t do too badly.