Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

The MF Continental has my attention. Also found a EG Bedford for pretty cheap from Japan that I’ll keep my eye on. Most of the seasonal Bedford jackets right now are a pretty warm fabric, and I want something I can wear year round.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

The MF Continental has my attention. Also found a EG Bedford for pretty cheap from Japan that I’ll keep my eye on. Most of the seasonal Bedford jackets right now are a pretty warm fabric, and I want something I can wear year round.

For what it's worth I have a Bedford and really like it a lot, my go to when I need to be a little dressy. Been thinking about picking up another one actually. 

Edited by pudaspriest

IMO, most casual sport coats look like sh!t, and are just a bad idea. Completely unstructured, loose, wrinkly fabric that doesn't drape well looks awful no matter how well cut and tailored the coat is. There a limit as to how far down the casual scale a sport coat gets before it's too far gone. Akin to going out in public in sweat pants - you've given up and just don't care. Look for a coat that's made of a light weight wool, wool/blend, or even silk blend for the TX heat, somewhat structured. Details like patch or flap pockets and 3, or even 4, buttons, and modest, slim lapel and collar (not pointed) help make it more casual. Something like a British or Italian country style sport coat for reference. While I'm indifferent about the brand, I think Taylor Stitch has the right approach for their sport coat. It's so easy to dress-down a dressier sport coat (as long as it's not stuffy). But again, for me, it's really about the fabric and how well it drapes. 

4 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

@ecsong187

Didn’t BOW used to carry SDA before? I have a couple of things I bought from them a few years ago and seem to recall them selling SDA denim 

They did but then stopped for a while. Seems like they’re bringing them back in stock now 

I've been wondering for a long time if SuFu had that feature, but never bothered to look for it, because it wasn't obvious to me at first. Thx for pointing it out. 

1 hour ago, propellerbeanie said:

Not denim related, but who else has felt their ignored users list has been coming in handy lately :D

Is this what is meant by the “cancel culture”? 

How to weaponize a forum about denim...too funny.

If I have the option, I prefer to buy non-wash, because I like to measure the jeans raw to see how much they shrink. I've also become a little partial to how I wash and shrink my jeans. Even if I get a pair of one-wash, I'm still gonna wash them again myself to insure all the shrink is out. One-wash does take some of the guess work out of sizing. 

One of the things I always wondered are is if there any "benefits" to buying unwashed other than the novelty and experience of soaking your jeans in a bath tub? i.e. is it easier to get sick fadez, do the jeans last longer, or any other benefits of buying unwashed? So far I've only bought unwashed because I bought mostly FH, TSG, and IronHeart and mostly from SE but am thinking of going the one-wash route next time around unless there is a reason not to do so. 

@1fookntitefd The main advantage I see for getting unsanforized jeans raw rather than one wash is that the patch often does a lot better through a home soak. Many jeans makers have a wash/dry process that nearly turns their patches to jerky - my pairs from Full Count, Boncoura, and Momotaro in particular have patches that are fairly stiff and shriveled-looking even after a few rounds of leather conditioner.

Other than that, maybe the denim stays a bit stiffer after a soak and line dry than from the manufacturer’s wash? But with the softening up over the initial month of wear, I doubt that would make much of a difference to the fades.

Edited by FeloniousMonk

While we're on this topic, let's be clear that unsanforized and one-washed have nothing to do with each other. Sanforizing is a post-weaving industrial process the fabric goes through, along with other possible processes, before the denim ever reaches the maker to be cut and sewn. Jeans that are made of unsanforized denim that have been one-washed by the maker after they've been sewn are still unsanforized. Jeans made of sanforized denim can still be non-wash, i.e. most of IH's denim, and after they're washed at home they're still sanforized. I've come across kids on the 'nets saying something akin to not wanted one-washed jeans because they're no longer unsanforized. Not true. 

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

You’re kind of forced into buying one wash from some brands as that’s the only style they produce.  

AFAIK one-wash is preferred by Japanese customers so most brands these days only make one-wash.

One-wash unsanforized is my preferred. Sometimes a nice fabric is only offered sanforized though.