Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

So I became one of if not the first international customer to shop from Canvas in Japan since they now offer overseas shipping including PayPal payment.  It’s a biker lifestyle and motorcycle parts store located in Kanazawa City in Ishikawa.  They sent some post cards and stickers with my order.

I started to not include the sticker with the car in this post, but I figured I would show how much some of the Japanese biker culture embraces questionable images that are controversial in the Western world.  I remember there was talk a few years back about this.

657B0F1D-6F2A-46DA-85C0-0F6E3322B7F0.jpeg

4AD9FBE5-3347-459C-AE26-5307BC5931B2.jpeg

1B6FA9BC-B22F-4BD1-9264-9BAFADC357FC.jpeg

Yeah, those helmets were used during the 1871 Franco-Prussian war (France got trounced). They were abandoned early in WW1. It is my understanding that they were actually made of leather.

I'm a not bothered by that. I am bothered by the swastika you see from time to time in Japan - and yes, I'm aware of the cultural significance of the symbol there.

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/japanese-swastika/

I have never found offense in symbols...only actions.

The short lived Nazi regime has no more monopoly on the swaztika symbol than the LGBTQA+ have on the rainbow. You can't take a symbol that has existed for millenia across cultures and then claim exclusive ownership...unless the rest of the world chooses to be victim to such bullying...or you are Apple...Lol

Here is an excellent Jungian summary:

"For a Christian or Jew, therefore, the challenge is to come to terms with, and respect, other religions’ views of the Swastika as a sacred symbol.  It is not a competition to see whether the Swastika will eventually emerge with a positive or negative meaning. Rather, it involves finding a way to maintain both perspectives simultaneously and integrate the opposing associations into the same symbol."

https://steve.myers.co/is-the-swastika-a-symbol-of-evil-or-of-good/

Edited by Pedro

1 minute ago, Toegun said:

That’s perfectly fine with me. I think he is free to express his beliefs. It’s a shame what is happening to Europe. Especially the UK, Germany, France and Sweden. It’s even happening here in America. Also the guardian is a far left basically communistic in their beliefs. Is it okay to be far left but not far right?

We don’t need this shit shit on a denim forum do we? I come here to get away from politics.
And anyone who is a Holocaust denier can fuck right off. I’ve been to Auschwitz and there’s no denying what happened happened. Sorry.

17 minutes ago, Broark said:

We don’t need this shit shit on a denim forum do we? I come here to get away from politics.
And anyone who is a Holocaust denier can fuck right off. I’ve been to Auschwitz and there’s no denying what happened happened. Sorry.

I’m sure you believe Al Qaeda flew planes into the twin towers as well and that the 20 year war on terror was justified. Triggered much.

AE49D934-FDE8-4413-A763-0A759BD1E8C3.jpeg

Edited by Radiohead89

They were talking about the canvas store and this thread is general nonsense. You are acting like a triggered social justice warrior that thinks it would be incomprehensible for a group of elite people to be using propaganda to control your mind. Get real dude. 

4 minutes ago, Radiohead89 said:

They were talking about the canvas store and this thread is general nonsense. You are acting like a triggered social justice warrior that thinks it would be incomprehensible for a group of elite people to be using propaganda to control your mind. Get real dude. 

Are you talking about the shapeshifting alien lizards now?

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Couldn't agree more, sorry if my post offended anyone, I wasn't thinking. Still enjoy Morrissey's music and as for far left and far right, not a fan of either. I got Polish roots and I have heard what both sides did to my family, non of it any good. Just hope we can learn from the past and move on...

Just a reminder for Americans the first amendment was created because governments are corrupt and lie to people. We are supposed to question what they tell us because there is an agenda behind it. There’s a reason they want to take peoples rights and it’s because they are criminals that think they are above the law. To the people beg repping me over my comments on Al Qaeda and the war on terror over 30 million people have lost their lives to that war. A war based on lies. If you support that war go ahead whatever helps you sleep at night. I for one don’t believe the propaganda or any of it. And we can’t even have a peaceful conversation because people get triggered so hard. Pull your panties up and be a man and put down the soylent. 

Wanted to share this Denimhunters article on photographing jeans here since it's probably the best thing I've seen on the subject, though I'm curious what you guys do.

My technique is pretty simple, I take photos around 8-9 in the morning, on the driveway, out of direct sunlight. I have access to an iPhone XR that takes great photos, though my wife has a DSLR I really ought to learn how to use. I developed my strategy from trying to take photos that looked like Sidneylo's documentation of his infamous Flat Head 3001s, and though I'm not a pro photographer I feel like this gets me reasonably close.

Whose photos stand out to you guys as being particularly good? I always like itsbenhere's photos of his jeans (he seems to do a similar technique to me, but with a better camera) and Double 0 Soul's pictures are also quite good and consistent so you can really see the differences between models of jeans.

Thanks Cold Sum's,  i use a dslr but its a battered old first gen 400D with the cheapo kit lens. My only tip when laying your jeans on the ground is to find a background with a similar tone, If your camera takes a full frame light-meter reading and the background is too dark (say tarmac) it will absorb the light fooling your camera into a longer exposure, making your jeans look too light/bright. White backgrounds do the opposite and reflect the light back to the camera resulting in a fast exposure making your jeans looking too dark. I'm sure modern camera's will compensate more than mine.
Also the light quality is completely shite for 8months out of my year so i find...rather than shooting in shade an overcast sky works best (good job too because i don't get much of a choice) i tend to photograph my jeans in the same spot, at the same time of day and avoid direct sunlight/shadows for (as you say) consistency.

I always took my jean/fade photos on a wooden deck. I feel the brown wood (whether it's stained/weathered or in good condition) really help bring out the color but does not saturate it. A lot of times I feel taking it on concrete (depending on lighting) can really mess with the contrast or color. However I have since lost the deck I took all my photos on and haven't been able to find any replacement. I attempted for a bit to take them on cardboard haha, but it's just not the same and have been using concrete backdrops.