Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

@kicks79

And then subtract the new customer discount and they are even cheaper! And so fast to deliver.

I don’t care how they do it. IMO, US retailers charge a hefty margin because their clientelle are willing to pay.

They leave themselves open to a business model like Denimio swooping in.

Edited by Pedro

That’s one thing that gets me now after living here and seeing how almost every store has a roll-down metal shutter at the entrance to prevent theft, even if they’re a bit ugly. It’s hard to imagine opening a store where someone could just smash a window and get in.

I see that Trophy compromised and put the shutter inside the store (?):

0934565B-BD29-4A3C-8A63-44F02FBFE67F.jpeg

57 minutes ago, SuperJackle said:

Ugh... so terrible. Does anyone know if any resolution ever came about after DC4 got robbed? They just closed up shop right?

They carried on online, just about till the business was built back up and are now fully functioning again.

On another note, does anyone know what’s up with BiG these days? Online store seems somewhat sparse. Saw they released a couple custom jeans which look pretty nice. 

Been thinking a bit lately how, the BiG measurement became the standard and still is, but they’re not even really players these days. Still don’t understand why other shops measure differently. 

Edited by SuperJackle

13 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

Ugh... so terrible. Does anyone know if any resolution ever came about after DC4 got robbed? They just closed up shop right?

I was at DC4 at the beginning of October and they're very much in business. And, the fine gentleman who owns the place sent us off for beers around the corner while he hemmed my Onis. 

By far the best denim buying experience I've had. What a lovely guy.

5 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

In Atlanta, Ponce Denim Co. got robbed a couple times when they opened a few years ago. It's hard for me to feel to sorry for them though when pretty much everything about that store sucks, haven't been in there in ages.

Hope Hudson Hill can get some justice.

I used to work for the owner of Ponce Denim at another store. When I encouraged him to focus on introductory priced Japanese denim, he would make shrug me off or make sarcastic comments. I've never been to PDC as they don't carry anything worthwhile and I did chuckle when they got robbed though I don't wish that on any small business. Atlanta remains void of any shops worth a visit unfortunately. Not even RRL could survive.

I liked that RRL store even though I didn't buy a lot there.

It seems completely crazy to me that there are denim stores in random places like Brenham, Texas and Maplewood, New Jersey... and not in Atlanta. Is this a massive oversight? Is there some fundamental reason why you can sell raw denim in Omaha but not Atlanta? Or am I missing out on the opportunity to make my own local denim store?! I don't know.

15 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I liked that RRL store even though I didn't buy a lot there.

It seems completely crazy to me that there are denim stores in random places like Brenham, Texas and Maplewood, New Jersey... and not in Atlanta. Is this a massive oversight? Is there some fundamental reason why you can sell raw denim in Omaha but not Atlanta? Or am I missing out on the opportunity to make my own local denim store?! I don't know.

The question is also how well these stores are doing, how much of their business is online, and if the owners made or are making income from other sources like with some Japanese brands.

This isn't to say that Atlanta isn't under served, just that some of these smaller areas being served may not have stores because their areas desperately need them.

6 hours ago, cause4pause said:

Apparently. I'd rather just own up to my muffin top and rock it with low-rise jeans. It's more comfortable.

Low rise is comfortable for me but not to those exposed to my butt cleavage. Not everybody can look as sexy as Will Farrell in the SNL clip a few posts above ;-( 

Or so I have been discreetly informed.

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Low rise is comfortable for me but not to those exposed to my butt cleavage. 

Or so I have been discreetly informed.

Understood. It depends on your build, I suppose. Low to mid-rise works well for me and still maintains decency. But it doesn't work for everyone.

It's more a question of body proportions, IMHO. Personally I find the high rise jeans more flattering & comfortable, but they're not a good idea if you have super long legs in relation with your torso.

I have quite short legs and certainly had a muffin top for several years and I actually found higher rise jeans to be much more comfortable than low rise jeans and I also think they look much better on me.

Even now while losing weight, I still find higher rise more comfortable. Obviously, YMMV. 

For anyone here who is wondering why the clothing brand went dark the past few days and their website is down, GLAD HAND is being investigated for embezzlement!

http://www.glad-hand.com/

関係各所の皆様及びお客様には大変ご迷惑をおかけして申し訳ございません。
有限会社GLAD HANDの強制捜査につきまして、代表取締役 佐竹隆司 以外の役員1名と社員2名が取り調べを受けている状況であります。
現在取り調べ中である為、改めて後日謝罪とともに事実関係を誠意を持ってお伝えさせていただく所存でございます。
なお、会社業務につきましては、通常通り運営させていただいております。
より一層の努力で取り組んでまいりますので、よろしくお願いいたします。
深くお詫び申し上げます。
有限会社GLAD HAND

For related places, please allow us for the inconvenience.

Tokyo district public prosectors office came into GLADHAND.
They investigate for embezzlement charge of our employee.

Actually we can’t tell until they announce officially. But we already start working just the same as usual with the co-founder Satake at the head of the list.
We are very sorry for worrying you.

We’d like to inform you that we will make even more of an effort.

Again we are sorry for worrying you. We’ll update on our website when I can find out everything.

Sincerely,
GLAD HAND & Co.

I’ve had an issue with two loopwheel sweats in the last few years. Both were SDA actually. Anyway, what’s happening is the fabric is bunching up in the pit area, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the fact that both sweats were sewn-in sleeve, rather than raglan or freedom sleeve. Anyone else ever had this issue? Both were 22” pit to pit which is more than ample. 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:39 PM, mpukas said:

@mlwdp my first impression is it's too big all around. Sleeves look too bulky and too long, shoulders look OK but body looks too voluminous. But it's your call - if you like the fit and look then that's what matters. If you just wanna make it work 'cuz you can't return it and you'd rather have a size smaller, then take the hit and move it for whatever you can, and get another one. It's part of this game we're playing - I've been burned several times by miss-sizing and had to take a hit for it. I think at this level we're playing it, if you're not 100% happy with it, don't keep it. We're not talking about a $100 Carhartt coat that you'd bet to sh!t and throw away in a year or 2. 

So, in the past few days:

I just sold the Buzz jacket on Ebay and then bought a size L as suggested by everyone.  I'll get it on Monday so I'm looking forward to wearing it to work and posting pics here.

Hey there. Momotaro's staff here. Just wanted to react to someone saying on a post of a Momotaro jeans fade who was saying that not washing your jeans is dirty. In 2011 this student wore his jeans for 15 months without wash, and test the bacteria on it. And... There not much more bacterias than on a 15 days wear without wash. So... Science !

Just a quick reminder about the relation between washing and fading. First thing first indigo dye is a natural dye who'll fade this time. How's this possible ? The thing is the threads of cotton aren't fully dye (except for some process) and it's only a layer of indigo on the surface of the thread. So by wearing, washing your jeans, your are damaging the indigo layer, which will eventually disappear and the natural colour of the cotton start to pop out. That's the process of fading. So by wearing your jeans without washing it, you eliminate the layer of indigo by frictions. That's how you define fading lines. By washing the jeans, you eliminates the indigo globally. So no specific zone is fading but everything.

In order to have strong fading lines it's usually better to not wash your jeans the first 6, 12 or even 15 months. It just depends on how much you want theses fading lines to really pop. After the first wash you can wash it once per month to start a global fading of the jeans, or wait more if you want to define more the fading lines. It's up to you and how you like to fade your jeans. 

Another tips, avoid detergent with bleach or fluorescent chemicals, choose something kind to the fabric. 

If you are concerned about smells, know that you can find anti odor spray. Just spray it on the inside of the jeans to eliminate bad smells without to have to wash it !

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer the best I can. 

If you like really defined fading lines I recommend you the Instagram of one of our Taiwanese customer. This kind of fade is not for everyone but damn it looks awesome ! 

https://instagram.com/niko.x3020?igshid=49jo9fogeirt

And sorry if I made some English mistakes, not my mother tongue !

Momotaro staff chiming in on the thread^^^^^

Edited by mlwdp