Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

15 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

It looks nice but $550 for a jacket with thinsulate lining? If i'm gonna spend that kinda dough on a deck jacket i'd rather have alpaca lining for maximum warmth

Agreed. That's a lot of money for thinsulate instead of alpaca. Too much in my opinion.

I don’t own an N1 but I suspect the BR one is durable. They’re made from whipcord and the BR one is a repro so made to withstand the elements. I’m guessing others like IH and Mister Freedom also make durable N1’s. The Red Tail N1 looks thin and like it wouldn’t do a good job keeping you warm in harsh weather 

I wore a RMCs N1 jacket through my first Finnish winter last year (-15ºC, snowstorms and stuff), it is still as new.
I stopped wearing it only when I needed a longer jacket for the overall fit and/or a hood, never because the jacket itself wasn't warm enough - resistance to water/snow was fine. I sized it to allow layering, but most of the times I just have a shirt underneath. I may not be the most sensitive to cold temps, so it makes me think whether I will really manage to wear it when I leave Finland... First world problems.

I won't do a A-2 again, no matter how cheap they sell for. They aren't warm enough and the side straps annoyingly loosen by themselves.  The sleeve length can be annoying as well.  I'm already contemplating selling mine due to warmth and I've lost weight so it's huge on me now.

Edited by mlwdp

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I won't do a A-2 again, no matter how cheap they sell for. They aren't warm enough and the side straps annoyingly loosen by themselves.  The sleeve length can be annoying as well.  I'm already contemplating selling mine due to warmth and I've lost weight so it's huge on me now.

A-2 jackets are terrible for warmth. Mine was my best jacket for wearing in warmer weather, but it was awful for actual winter wear. The lining is always thin cotton or silk and the leather is never very thick (relatively). What side straps are you talking about? Are we talking about different jackets?

32 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

A-2 jackets are terrible for warmth. Mine was my best jacket for wearing in warmer weather, but it was awful for actual winter wear. The lining is always thin cotton or silk and the leather is never very thick (relatively). What side straps are you talking about? Are we talking about different jackets?

I’m referring to the deck jacket version that’s usually the cheapest out of all the USN deck jackets.  It was only worn during the Vietnam and Korean War unlike the other WWII and WWII jackets.  I’m not familiar with the leather A-2 jacket’s place in History but if that jacket was also only worn during Korea and Vietnam, it makes sense for it to be thin due to climate.  I should probably brush up on my naval history.

F535CADA-E4E0-4A7D-911F-DDC5F2807EA6.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

I'd like to learn more about the Buzz Rickson's A2 Deck Jacket as well if anyone has some experience with it.  I am well aware of Buzz Rickson's reputation in the industry and just want to hear if anyone has a first hand account with this jacket. 

8 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I’m referring to the deck jacket version that’s usually the cheapest out of all the USN deck jackets.  It was only worn during the Vietnam and Korean War unlike the other WWII and WWII jackets.  I’m not familiar with the leather A-2 jacket’s place in History but if that jacket was also only worn during Korea and Vietnam, it makes sense for it to be thin due to climate.  I should probably brush up on my naval history.

F535CADA-E4E0-4A7D-911F-DDC5F2807EA6.jpeg

Ah yes I had forgotten about this A-2. I always just think of the leather version from the interwar/WWII years. 

Help!  I have a shop refusing somewhat to sell me a N-1 due to sizing!

So, I’m currently buying the N-1 by Buzz Rickson and originally ordered a size XL.  I contacted the shop and told them that I’m unsure about the size and asked if I can exchange for size L if it doesn’t fit.  The store said no but is questioning if I want to go through with the sale altogether.  

I spoke to History Preservation and they’re recommending me to do a size L but they said I’m in the middle regarding sizing as my chest measures at 43 inches.  

I spoke to the other shop afterwards about this and asked for a L instead of the XL.  The shop is still questioning whether I want to go through with the purchase, even telling me they have a model who is taller than me and weighs the same but is wearing a XL.

I can personally fit in a 58 cm jacket fine right now btw.  My concern is the XL being too big or the L being too small.  I know I can fit in the L personally but I’m concerned about the alpaca fur making it cramped and taking up the bulk of the jacket in width.

Overall, Buzz has been pretty good for me, sizing wise regarding true to size, minus sweatshirts and T-shirts.  I wear a large in the shirts and XL in their T-shirt’s and sweatshirts.

Help?

Edited by mlwdp

What shop is questioning you @mlwdp?

As for Buzz jackets, I pick based on what I plan on wearing under it, and it goes well. Light weight jungle jacket I went with large because I only wear a t shirt under it. MA-1 in a size XL, to accomadate a sweatshirt or other bulkier things. In a Buzz sweatshirt I got a XXL years ago, but I could easily size down one size now.

HPA and Charles is bang on and know their stuff, but keep in mind the small variance of different runs and his sizing advice vs another stores stock of course. 

Do you have wider shoulders? That's one of the few things I wish I had more room regarding Buzz stuff at times.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:08 PM, SmokeStackLightning said:

What shop is questioning you @mlwdp?

As for Buzz jackets, I pick based on what I plan on wearing under it, and it goes well. Light weight jungle jacket I went with large because I only wear a t shirt under it. MA-1 in a size XL, to accomadate a sweatshirt or other bulkier things. In a Buzz sweatshirt I got a XXL years ago, but I could easily size down one size now.

HPA and Charles is bang on and know their stuff, but keep in mind the small variance of different runs and his sizing advice vs another stores stock of course. 

Do you have wider shoulders? That's one of the few things I wish I had more room regarding Buzz stuff at times.

I’m getting mine from Seabees.  

Been talking to them and I’m hoping this XL they’re sending me will fit.  I’d hate to sell it.  I’m short about 170 cm but I weigh 82kg as I’m stocky due to CrossFit and football in the past.  My shoulders are extremely wide as 46 cm is the smallest I can take in shirts and jackets.  My Glad Hand work jacket is 46 cm in the shoulders and 58 cm width which can get tight when adding a sweatshirt and thick shirt to the mix.

Overall, it’s hard finding clothes that fit.  My N1 should be here hopefully by the weekend.

23 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Why do people/companies continue to insist that wearing your jeans unwashed for a prolonged period is somehow a fashion grail, or secret to success?!  Annoying!

Well the Levis CEO said it so it must be true.(Had a conversation with a friend who is not into denim and when the topic of raw denim was brought up he immediately referenced the Levis CEO's remarks on wearing for a year before washing and his talking points to why.)

17 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Why do people/companies continue to insist that wearing your jeans unwashed for a prolonged period is somehow a fashion grail, or secret to success?!  Annoying!

Agree. I’m not into STF denim but I always soak/wash my jeans no matter what. Had a new pair that I didn’t wash for a year and sure enough, blowouts in the crotch, back of knee and cuff. Have another pair of N&F I’ve had for about 4 yrs and those have been washed a ton and still going strong