Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Is it just me or do any of you think the handmade leather goods fad has died? I remember like 4-5 yrs ago a whole bunch of 'makers' started popping up on IG, all of whom had the same story. "I couldn't afford a nice belt/wallet so I started learning how to make my own and my company was born." I'm thinking specifically of handmade wallets and belts, not boots. Plenty of makers out there creating nice stuff but I think the market got saturated.

Yeah, I agree, the market was way oversaturated, and stuff like belts and wallets last forever if they're decently made, so it's hard to keep the same people continuing to buy stuff.

There are already so many good options - Hollows, Guarded Goods, Monk Made, Don't Mourn Organize, etc. Hard to break into the market unless you're doing something really different, which most aren't. I'd love to see somebody innovate in the same way that Redmoon did in 1993 when they pretty much invented Native American-inspired amekaji leathercraft.

The only person I can think of in the last few years that has innovated is Pigeon Tree Crafting. His quick release buckle and indigo dyed leather look pretty cool. I could never justify buying a new belt because my Rancourt belt is holding up just fine and likely will for years to come.

Just saw that typhoon hagibis is expected to hit Japan soon if not already.  A shop I just bought from on Monday expedited my order for free to beat it since it flys out of Tokyo and I didn’t even ask for the fast shipping.  

The Langlitz Japan ride is also canceled btw.

Edited by mlwdp

18 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Does Hinoya ship internationally? Any anecdotes? Hoping to pick up the new Hawaii ranch jacket from Sun Surf and it looks like they're the only ones carrying it so far. 

I didn’t get to take a picture as I’m not home at the moment, but Hinoya sends you a nifty little store bag with their orders or at least they sent one with mine.  I always like the little stuff stores in Japan send me in my orders little stickers, flyers, etc.

^ Looking forward to seeing whether they throw anything like that in, yeah. Agreed that that’s often an underappreciated benefit off buying direct from Japan. I still remember ordering from Boropby some time last year and opening the package to find a beautifully-folded paper crane—that sorta thing really adds a nice personal touch to the whole experience

On 10/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, Cold Summer said:

Pigeon Tree's stuff looks nice. For belts, my favorite is Equus - I admit I'm partial to hand-stitched belts rather than ones with a metal fastener.

Pigeon Tree does offer this. I'm the same as you and I ordered all of my belts from him hand sewn instead of with metal fasteners.