Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Anybody here have their denim set off the security alarm in the full body scanner in the airport?  My Trophy 1607set it off over the weekend and the TSA had to resort to additional "padding".

This is what the machine looks like btw:

635925092745570243-TSA-FULL-BODY-SCANNER.jpg

Edited by mlwdp

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

I'm not a fan of asymmetrical pockets. Don't like the look, and usually on of them is too small to be useful for anything. I actually use my shirt pockets to hold various things at various times. I also prefer work shirt pockets to have a flap rather than just button through as it's more secure and stuff doesn't fall out when you bend over. One reason why I like western shirts. Don't like chin straps either. They're useless in today's world. Another reason why I like westerns. 

Same here. Not a fan of work shirts because of the pocket design. Is the chin strap the neck tab thingy that some companies put on their work shirts? Not a fan of that look

yeah, it's most commonly referred to as a chin strap, but that's not really accurate. Not exactly sure, but I think historically it was called a throat strap/tab. It had its place in time, but is mostly irrelevant today. 

That's one reason why I'm not into repro stuff. These types of details were implemented to address a need, but people's needs have changed since "back in the day". Recreating something today the same way it was done 80-120 years ago just because that's the way it was done then and therefore "better" or "correct" or "proper" may be fun, but it's impractical. Today fella's have smart phones, wallets, keys, knifes, pens, pads, etc. that we need to carry. In most western societies it's not OK to carry a man-purse, so we have to reply on pockets in jeans an d shirts. MAKE THEM USEABLE!!! 

16 hours ago, mpukas said:

yeah, it's most commonly referred to as a chin strap, but that's not really accurate. Not exactly sure, but I think historically it was called a throat strap/tab.

It's gone by a number of terms, from extension neckband to storm collar, tab collar, and more. At some point in recent history somebody started calling it a "chinstrap" and that stuck, but it it shouldn't go over the chin, just to clarify. 

Holy f**k that's bad. I break every one of those rules on daily basis without even trying. Guess my style and wardrobe are a complete failure... 

Maybe for some Joey BaggO'Doughnuts who couldn't care less about clothes and style, who suddenly finds himself in a new job position or social circles where he has to dress respectfully, this would be a good place to start w/out looking like a f'tard. 

Edited by mpukas

That's what I thought too. It's a set of "rules" for people who don't like clothes and regard thinking about them as a chore, like cutting the grass.

It's not a bad marketing strategy since there are probably far more men who dislike clothes/fashion than enthusiasts, but to anybody who sees it has a hobby, the subtly manipulative and disingenuous nature of their writing is hard to miss.

I get these rules aren’t for most guys. I’ve been at this for 15 years, and we’re direct to consumer so I hear what our guys are saying.  I hear basically, “I want to get this figured out and be done with it.” These are good, smart, busy guys who don’t necessarily have a talent or desire to engage in fashion. They want to dress better and they’re willing to figure it out, but they want some resolution after putting in the work. For these guys, the constant change of the clothing industry and trends isn’t a good thing.

The rules may seem pedestrian to some guys, but they’re not wrong. If our guy adopts them, and we put him in the right fit, in good fabrics, he’s going to look good and his wardrobe will be in balance. Fashion is made up of a lot of sub-communities, and we’re just another sub-community. We’re not looking to change anyone’s mind, we’re just looking to connect with the guys that see clothing the way we do.

Given the context of who may take notice of/be influenced by the article, I thought it was reasonable and common sense and may assist in avoiding the vagaries of fashion or making basic mistakes. I don’t like the title though (who needs more rules in their life?) and thought it might be better if it was called “a framework for clothing” or “seven guidelines..”.

fin

6 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I saw this madness mentioned on Instagram and had to share it here, Todd Shelton's seven rules for clothing.

These are all stupid, but #6 is probably the worst.

Particularly hilarious is the fact that many of the other articles and models appearing on the website contradict and fail to "model" these rules. How are you expected to follow rule #6, when 3-4 of the "supporting materials" articles are trite buzzfeed listicles of other "best of" brands (one of which is N&F)?

Hot take, while Chup socks look cool and all they are the most difficult to put on socks I’ve ever owned. Makes me not even want to wear them. Plus instead of sliding down my leg like socks tend to do, they roll from the top which looks even worse. Moral of the story is that I need some better socks.

I still love my chup socks (I'm a size 9.5 so I dont have issues with getting them on and off) but I do find myself wearing mostly socks with stretch nowadays. The Stevenson socks and the Studio D'artisan dralon socks are some of the most comfortable socks I've had for sneakers. For boots, I really like the iron heart socks. Not the best looking but the extra cushion is great. I recently picked up some bison socks from United by Blue for a trip that involved negative degree weather and those are the warmest socks I've ever worn and while they're thick, they compact really well so I never felt pressure on my feet in a tighter shoe. 

I know I’ve said it before, but Tender Co. socks are just about perfect for me. They fit well, hold their shape, stay up, and are made from awesome materials that look great without being too loud or attention-catching like some of the patternier alternatives.

Broark, depending on the material you go for they might actually fit you okay. The alpaca and mohair both stretch out an okay amount when necessary, and, contrary to what you might expect, the mohair does really well on hot days, at least as far as boot socks go. The cotton–wool blend also has some stretch, but isn’t as good in the heat.

When I’m not wearing those, it’s Kirkland Signature boot socks 100% of the time.

22 hours ago, Broark said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve always wanted to try Kapital but I’ve been scared off that I’m a US 12 and most Japanese guys don’t have feet that big. Maybe they’re not too small?

i'm the same size - kapital socks are even smaller than chup. i pretty much wear uniqlo socks exclusively these days.