Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

@mlwdp what's the plan for losing 10 lb? At 1 lb per week, it'd only be 10 weeks. It'd be hard to be exact on your future dimensions. So, given this, I'd wait to buy them (then probably cave in when closer to the target!).

35 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Are cutoffs not shorts.......

I think it must be a local vernacular that differentiates the two where I live.

I always think of denim shorts as those which are hemmed.

Hmmm...I just started googling for an image to prove they can look cool on a man but can't seem to find even one image that supports my claim on the entire world wide web....Lol

But that won't stop me from wearing my cutoffs most Saturday mornings to do yardwork and mow my lawn and jump in the river when I finish.

I've f'd up jeans by washing them right-side out. Since learning the hard way, I now wash my jeans inside-out and have not had any issues w/ that kind of marbling. I set the spin to low speed, and take them out after about a minute or so of the final spin cycle. There's always a short spin between cycles, so no matter what you do if you machine wash there's always that to consider. Top loading washers w/ an agitator are harsh on all types of garments. 

Some denims are more prone to marbling no matter what you do. My IH-888_NT's which are made w/ the UHR 21/23oz raw denim, loose dye faster than any other denim I've had and they have developed quite a bit of marbling all over. Other pairs which have a ridiculous depth of the dye saturation, like Samurai 25oz and TFH 20oz, have not had any marbling issues. 

Another thought is that when denim is wet it's most prone to dye loss. IMO/IME tightly rolling them and turning them right-side out while wet can cause unwanted crocking at creases. 

Your opinion on cuffs?

tiny single cuff

double

triple

monster cuff

no cuff

im honestly at a point where I’m not into any cuff at all. I’ve been hemming all my denim. I feel like the cuffs make me seem stubbier. Maybe it’s a mind trick Idk

3 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

Your opinion on cuffs?

tiny single cuff

double

triple

monster cuff

no cuff

im honestly at a point where I’m not into any cuff at all. I’ve been hemming all my denim. I feel like the cuffs make me seem stubbier. Maybe it’s a mind trick Idk

There is no wrong abswer. In fact, I don’t like the broken fibers which occur at a cuffline so I will change cuff length daily. Also when swapping boots for sandals. 

Cuffs do make legs stubbier!

^^ I go with whatever makes the jeans the right length

I think I've only ever had two pairs hemmed after production, and none after shrinking, so it's always sorta been a toss-up

I don't have one, I'm in the UK so we have regular ones??

I have a double sided sink at home so the right side is for my cleaning jeans. I feel it up with enough warm water to cover the jeans.I add some washing powder and give it some agitation and leave for 30 mins, rinse will cold water ring it out and hang dry.

Seems to work for me although it takes around two days to fully dry in my flat.

I have a top load washing machine and honestly I like the marbling and spider veins. Haha 

but im more into vintage fades. I tend to wash my jeans often, right side out, I’ll even throw them in the dryer for 10-20 minutes. Don’t leave them in the dryer too long though or you end up with weird crease lines. 

I live in Seattle so air drying takes a few days and I’m inpatient. Haha 

On all my jeans I do a single cuff, about 1.5". The main reason I always cuff is because I find it makes the leg look better and gives it a rounder shape. It doesn't matter on skinnier fitting jeans, but on the straighter cuts I wear these days it makes them look much nicer.

1 hour ago, VivaMarlon said:

Lately I've been doing a single cuff, about 2-3", sometimes a smaller double cuff, anything beyond that feels too chunky to me.  

In SE Asia during the rainy season I single cuff 6”-7”...  ;-)

Ironically, in Texas, the “western wear” crowd wear very long inseams and never cuff. Google Wrangler. The irony for me is almost all old photos and denim advertisements show actual cowboys always had cuffs. 

1 hour ago, ecsong187 said:

...but im more into vintage fades. I tend to wash my jeans often, right side out, I’ll even throw them in the dryer for 10-20 minutes...

Does this result in “vintage” fades or 1980 “stonewash” fades of a monochrome?

For me, the fade must be equally supported by other signs that come with age such as variations in indigo, fraying at the front pocket and maybe the hem, wallet telegraphing, etc...

Otherwise, it stands out to me like a Hollywood type after a visit to their plastic surgeon.

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Does this result in “vintage” fades or 1980 “stonewash” fades of a monochrome?

For me, the fade must be equally supported by other signs that come with age such as variations in indigo, fraying at the front pocket and maybe the hem, wallet telegraphing, etc...

Otherwise, it stands out to me like a Hollywood type after a visit to their plastic surgeon.

Not sure. I work construction so all my jeans get beat up very fast. Hahaha