Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Even though I got laughed at when I asked this on styleforum, I think you can get outside  insurance policy on the things you own like jeans, shoes, etc based on value.  I never looked into it really but I think it can be done.

Any tips on repairing a buttonhole? The second buttonhole in my Roy Memorial Jeans is about to bust (I think from the friction of my belt buckle) and I don’t want to send them in for repairs yet. So I thought I’d try my hand at some minor hand repairs at home this weekend.

manual repair - i.e. re-stitching the button, use additional fabric to re-enforce the button whole area.

another option is to add a hook & loop type of closure under the waistband to bottom fly in order to take at least some of the stress off the actual button hole.

Looks like the RMC London website has had the same design change as Superdenim had recently...

They have removed sizing charts/info from the product listings?? WTF would you that?

Why have a collapsible menu on brand description  against each item (we know the brand that's why we on the site....) but not the actual measurements. ..

@Broark

http://www.showandtellmeg.com/2013/10/mending-monday-repairing-unraveled.html?m=1

This is a good description and how I’ve done it before. Even thought waxed cotton thread is good, I’d recommend polyester as it’s stronger. Just be a bit more careful when you place the needle than the girl in the guide and you’ll be finished in 5-10mins.

Do this if you wanna go all fancy like:

71C10CDC-745A-41EC-B449-51AB79ACCF70.jpeg

Edited by Spiraltoy

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

Looks like the RMC London website has had the same design change as Superdenim had recently...

They have removed sizing charts/info from the product listings?? WTF would you that?

Why have a collapsible menu on brand description  against each item (we know the brand that's why we on the site....) but not the actual measurements. ..

Superdenim product measurements used to be so crap I wondered what was the point

2 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

@Broark

Even thought waxed cotton thread is good, I’d recommend polyester as it’s stronger. 

Sail repair is a heavier thread and the wax makes it quite impervious to friction. Plus it would be “era correct” as its useful for leather boots and canvas packs, etc in use at the time.

20655383-09A4-4A4D-9297-E047E22B5E57.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Thanks for the feedback @Foxy2 and @Spiraltoy, I think I'll give it a go with some navy poly thread.
Here's a photo, just don't want the denim connecting the fly to break apart. I just gave the jeans a wash and it made it worse. :(
YI7UrLQ.jpg
rCYSGBk.jpg

for this type of damage you will need additional fabric to re-enforce the fly or add a hook & loop - just re-stitching the button hole will not do...

I assume that kind of damage comes from violently ripping the fly open, my wife's preferred technique. :blush2:

When I undo the fly buttons, I gently unbutton each one individually. So far I've never had any problems, but I'm skinny and jeans don't tend to fit very snugly across my hips, so that could have something to do with it.

It’s actually kind of weird, I think it’s from where my belt buckle sits. There’s no strain on the buttons because the jeans are pretty loose on me, but there’s wear on the top side of the fly from the buckle as well. Never had this happen before. Might just have to send them in, which is  a shame because there’s really no other fraying threads that I’ve seen. And after this last wash they’re finally starting to fade.

Agreed that adding a little extra fabric and stitching over with poly thread is the way to go. I actually just had to do this for my Hawaiis a couple of weeks ago, minus the extra reinforcement fabric. The placket's actually a kinda neat place to need to reinforce, since—if enough of the original stitching's gone—you should be able to slide the extra fabric between the two placket layers right in through the button hole making it fully hidden. Should be a fun repair.

I used the extra material method on my SDA top button, worked a dream where the button had started to  rip the button hole from the pressure of my beer belly. Reinforced it nicely, did nothing to solve the belly though. 

7 hours ago, Geeman said:

Just seen this. If a mistake, they’ll surely want to correct quick smart to avoid being inundated with sizing queries. If deliberate, they’ll surely want to correct quickly to avoid... etc etc... what nonsense...   

7 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Agreed that adding a little extra fabric and stitching over with poly thread is the way to go. I actually just had to do this for my Hawaiis a couple of weeks ago, minus the extra reinforcement fabric. The placket's actually a kinda neat place to need to reinforce, since—if enough of the original stitching's gone—you should be able to slide the extra fabric between the two placket layers right in through the button hole making it fully hidden. Should be a fun repair.

I’m going to give this a shot, I’ve got a ton of Black Seed Cone from all my Roy hems, we’ll see how it goes!

Since there isn’t a recent purchases thread I thought I’d post my Tokyo purchases here ?? 

B491B178-5B61-428D-B2F2-4E17325D5F19_zps

starting top left 

McCoy’s chore jacket, McCoy’s sweat ,Warehouse sweat 

bottom left 

Another 3 warehouse sweats 

and on top are a vintage Levi’s 503zxx from around 54-56 and 2 pairs of converse jack stars 

i was was really hoping to come away with some vintage for myself but the stuff I wanted was just way out of my price range and the stuff I wanted and could afford .... I couldn’t find in my size 

Edited by Flash

9 minutes ago, Broark said:

Really like those Converse! Need to find myself a pair for the summer.

You can find a few western stores that stock them mate , if you search one star academy you should find the colours released in North America pretty easily 

Edited by Flash

Is it better to buy a pair of denim at your current size now knowing that you are in the process of losing weight (10 lbs) or buying the denim later when you have lost the 10 lbs?  I've been debating this for quite some time as I'm currently losing weight and changing my eating habits.

Philosoraptor.jpg

Depends on your commitment? 

If you are determined to hit your goal weight wise then buy in advance. That said, why don't you wait and reward yourself with a new pair when you hit it?