Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I used to not think about this very much, but one of my favorite design details is 100% cotton stitching.

I know that poly/cotton core-spun threads are supposedly the best of both worlds, but I swear I can tell some kind of difference in how they feel to the touch and how it feels when the stitched seams stretch/bend/etc. Maybe I'm just nuts. But my 100% cotton stitched jeans (from Flat Head, Full Count, and Samurai) seem to have an additional level of "vibe" to the construction that my other jeans don't, even when you account for the different thread gauges, stitches per inch, etc.

The stitching of my 3Sixteens, which use poly/cotton, feels much more rigid and industrial to me. Although much more durable, the construction feel of these jeans doesn't match the feel of my Samurais (where the back pocket stitching is falling apart and has been repaired many times, but everything else has held together very well.)

The most obvious benefit to cotton is that it fades along with the denim, leading to a nicer aesthetic (which I especially notice on Flat Head) but the threads also seem to break in from a tactile standpoint with a more natural feel. IMO, these benefits are quite worth having to fix occasional breaks in the back pockets, inseam, etc., which I see as an acceptable tradeoff. FYI, I don't mind using poly/cotton to repair high stress areas

Disclaimer: This might entirely be a figment of my imagination.

By the way, the 100% cotton stitching on all my Flat Head shirts has held up incredibly well. My green flannel is almost eight years old and has no broken stitches, even after being worn at least 150-200 times. My FH denim shirt's stitching has also been extremely durable.

Edited by Cold Summer

41 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Anybody here limited to wearing denim on weekends only due to weekday job? 

Me. Although my company is relaxing it's dress code slowly and I get one or two dress down days a week lately :D

When I am in the office I can wear jeans and always do.

When on a site (that doesn't require fire resistant clothing), I can wear jeans if I really wanted to. They would need washed after one or two days of wear, so I normally wear Dickie style pants instead.

Here's a question about creasing for you guys: Will the sharp creases from jeans being stored go away with wear?

I just busted out the Samurai S710NBK one wash that I had in storage for a few months, and there are some sharp creases from being folded up for so long. I've never had a problem with this before, because I've always bought raw in the past, so creases went away after the initial soak or wash. Since these are one-wash, I wasn't planning on doing a soak or wash, but I'm worried that the creases running down the side of the legs will be fade and end up super visible.

Any of you guys run into this problem before? Will the creases relax with time? I have a feeling they won't, and should maybe do a soak to prevent that (even though I'd rather not)

Edited by bencap

2 hours ago, bencap said:

Here's a question about creasing for you guys: Will the sharp creases from jeans being stored go away with wear?

I just busted out the Samurai S710NBK one wash that I had in storage for a few months, and there are some sharp creases from being folded up for so long. I've never had a problem with this before, because I've always bought raw in the past, so creases went away after the initial soak or wash. Since these are one-wash, I wasn't planning on doing a soak or wash, but I'm worried that the creases running down the side of the legs will be fade and end up super visible.

Any of you guys run into this problem before? Will the creases relax with time? I have a feeling they won't, and should maybe do a soak to prevent that (even though I'd rather not)

You can gently iron stuff like that out, just be sure to separate the denim from the iron with a cloth. 

As for them going away with wear, it depends on just how sharp the creases are. If they're more like "bends" then you're probably fine. If they're more akin to pleated pants, you might want to nip that in the bud. I've got a retired pair that picked up some creases when I had a denim blunder moment putting them through the dryer to presoak them with a bit too much gusto... those creases never went away.

IMG_0385.jpg

20 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

I’ve officially burned out on the whole denim/clothing/brand craze. Don’t get me wrong, I still like what I have but I now have zero desire to accumulate more  stuff. Any of you experience this? 

I can't find the time to wear all the pants I have... I'm still interested in more esoteric stuff, like seamen's pants, and maybe something specific to a contest.

1 hour ago, ColonelAngus said:

I’ve officially burned out on the whole denim/clothing/brand craze. Don’t get me wrong, I still like what I have but I now have zero desire to accumulate more  stuff. Any of you experience this? 

Yes and no. I don't have a desire to accumulate more but, when needed I have a short list of what I would buy when needed. That said I'm looking forward to sending in a pair of jeans to indigo proof for a second repair.

15 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Since PayPal has its own fucked up exchange rates I prefer to buy with CC anyways :D

My CC won't even allow overseas purchase especially if it's over a certain amount :( .  PayPal finds ways around it but I believe they take a percentage of the sale like when we sell on EBay.  If that's the case, I could see more shops dropping it to cut down on costs.

PayPal really, really annoys me in so many ways but every time i think of getting rid of it, I find some stupid reason to keep it, but it is really expensive to use and maybe if you're a retailer it's even more so. I'm surprised nobody has come up with something similar but better.

On 4/19/2019 at 7:45 AM, ColonelAngus said:

That's been me for a few years. After wearing raw indigo jeans for years, I was wanting a pair of black on black jeans and my favorite denim brand was out of stock, so I bought some Levi's 513 with elastane in them to tide me over. Well, they fit me perfectly and that little bit of stretch made a huge difference in mobility/comfort and I haven't really gone back to my raw. I just bought some more jeans that are designed for rock climbing, with even more stretch in them and a water repellent finish that'll be nice in the rain. :x

Denim is getting new tech that I like. Still rock my Iron Heart flannels and White's boots every day, though.

12 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Since PayPal has its own fucked up exchange rates I prefer to buy with CC anyways :D

Yes, paying with CC in the foreign currency is cheaper; however, ff the Seller does not accept CC and only accepts PayPal (PP) then it is still possible to avoid the PP Exchange Rate loss of approximately  3%.

It is necessary to be logged into a PP account and not paying as a "guest".

After logging into PP and during the payment process, a page will display that asks the source of payment (Bank account, Credit Card, etc). After CC is chosen, there is a link for VIEW CONVERSION OPTIONS.

This will open a page where it is possible to choose the CURRENCY FOR THIS PURCHASE (the Seller currency or the CC Bank currency). 

By choosing the Seller currency, JPY in the below image, you receive the daily rate of your CC and bypass the terrible PP “spread”.

Please refer to the google images below:

06A2D0AB-83C5-42D5-B108-8580A2E6D4D7.jpeg

93929205-072E-4BC0-B33A-9FEE83AEDB25.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

This is the fee which can be avoided by following the steps above:

“On top of the wholesale rate, PayPal will add a 3% charge if you’re in any of the following situations:

-Purchasing goods from a seller who accepts payments only in a specific currency which you do not hold in your PayPal account.”

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/paypal-currency-conversion-rates

Pedro

Edited by Pedro

I'm struggling to use buyee, downloaded the add to buyee widget and the app but can't add my items. The widget may not work as I browse on an android tablet that has no task bar on display. 

Any ideas?

@Geeman

One word of caution about Buyee and maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong but I got hammered hard with extra fees.

I won an auction for $15 and paid an additional $30 in fees and shipping.

I attempted to cancel the order. I attempted to pay the Seller and have them keep the item. I attempted to get them to not ship the item.

Maybe there is a way to have to approve each purchase rather than have it automated but I could not figure it out.

BTW, Buyee required payment by PayPal so you can use that method above to save a few bucks.

Edited by Pedro

10 hours ago, Geeman said:

I'm struggling to use buyee, downloaded the add to buyee widget and the app but can't add my items. The widget may not work as I browse on an android tablet that has no task bar on display. 

Any ideas?

Try using it from a PC/Mac, I've had no problems using it on a PC via Firefox. Not very helpful but sometimes you have to go back to basics.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

@Geeman

One word of caution about Buyee and maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong but I got hammered hard with extra fees.

I won an auction for $15 and paid an additional $30 in fees and shipping.

I attempted to cancel the order. I attempted to pay the Seller and have them keep the item. I attempted to get them to not ship the item.

Maybe there is a way to have to approve each purchase rather than have it automated but I could not figure it out.

BTW, Buyee required payment by PayPal so you can use that method above to save a few bucks.

I think it is just the way Buyee works. When you sign up and use PayPal as your payment method you authorize Buyee to take the money out of you account after you win an auction. It's different to Ebay in that from once you win via Buyee you don't get 10 days or so to pay for your item. For example I just won an auction today, (more of that in the Warehouse thread)it finished at around 2;30 in the afternoon, I stepped away from the PC for an hour or so and when I got back I had a e-mail telling me I had "sent" a Paypal payment to Tenso inc, I hadn't actually sent anything, but from once I won the auction the payment is kinda "per-authorized". I also think they don't like you canceling bids, kinda like Ebay, they want to get their fees no matter what.