Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

15 hours ago, Broark said:

Gotta say these Instagram influencer ads are getting ridiculous. I saw a post on my explore just now by Robindenim and he’s advertising for a fucking mattress company? Come on. How lame can you get?

I saw the same post and it’s much of what I hate about what Instagram has become. Correct me if I’m mistaken, but aren’t Instagram users required to clearly disclose any advertisement or relationship they have with a company as an ad or sponsored post? That post is clearly some sort of promotion or sponsorship with a company but isn’t marked as such. With these lifestyle accounts (like fashion, food, travel, etc...) and some very lax ad/sponsorship rules it’s become impossible to to distinguish what is being posted organically and what is being paid for. There are a handful of denim and menswear brands that I have zero interest in because I suspect they are taking part of these undisclosed advertisements. 

What’s worse is that you have people actually commenting and liking robindenim’s mattress advertisement, which boosts it into even more people’s explore feeds, which boosts the compensation robindenim is likely receiving. Once you actually look at the comments though it’s just more influencers and more brands trying to gain more visibility. These accounts have taken a niche clothing style/hobby and made it devoid of any authenticity whatsoever. 

^ Yes, you're required to clearly state that it's sponsored content, at least that's how it is in Swedish marketing law. It's been vague for a long time but we've had a few verdicts in Sweden on some of our big influencers lately because it's missleading marketing. Though just like the way social media contests also breach marketing laws all the time there's not many cases that seems to get filed.

Hopefully Instagram gets a little jumpy over losing legitimacy and addresses the issue with new features.  

Ever since Oni moved from the whole “old man in a mountain workshop making rare denim” thing they’ve really fallen off IMO. And almost every fit is some variant of the dreaded “relaxed taper” where a 36 has a 10 in. front rise, 13.5. in thighs and a laughable 7 in. leg opening. But yes those surgically removed selvedge arcs are pretty fugly.

A few years ago (maybe 5+) Oni had a regular cut, straight leg  (511 HM)  that was all single needle with stitched pocket corners, as now seen on Stevenson Overall offerings. I really wanted a pair and handled them at Son of a Stag. Never bought them, but as they nearly all sold out Stevenson appeared and seemed to be making jeans that had the exact same detailing as this Oni pair. It always peeked my interest as to weather the old man had become Stevenson or perhaps some sort of Kill Bill mountain disciple had appeared and run with it. 

https://www.sonofastag.com/products/o-n-i-511hm-hand-made-14oz-jeans

Maybe it's just the shops I buy from, but is anybody here noticing the purge of PayPal and Alipay pay options being removed from some of the Rakuten stores?  Some of the shops even have both payment styles listed in the store info but when you check out, only the credit card option is available.

I've already had a few shops resort to emailing me PayPal invoices to pay as their credit system doesn't work for my banking.  It's starting to get annoying as I prefer PayPal when purchasing overseas.

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Maybe it's just the shops I buy from, but is anybody here noticing the purge of PayPal and Alipay pay options being removed from some of the Rakuten stores?  Some of the shops even have both payment styles listed in the store info but when you check out, only the credit card option is available.

I've already had a few shops resort to emailing me PayPal invoices to pay as their credit system doesn't work for my banking.  It's starting to get annoying as I prefer PayPal when purchasing overseas.

This. PayPal and credit card for overseas purchases for double protection :ph34r:

On 3/30/2019 at 1:04 AM, mlwdp said:

From Rakuten:

rglobal_attention.gif

Was going to post this in the vintage shirt thread but I'll post it here.  Vintage MIU Harley hat I got off eBay.  It's in very good shape.  I've never bought a vintage hat before so I'm wondering why the bill is small or it's just the way I look at it.

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

IMG_4657.JPG

So, I finally bought a MIJ jacket as I was on the fence buying one due to weight loss and sizing. Glad HandxGangsterville work jacket.  This is probably not everyone's taste but I bought it as it reminded me of the old school low rider  car clubs of LA, hence the SOCAL stitching.  I believe they got the emphasis going for their 2019 SS collection.  Anyway, it fits great and has a old school WALDES zipper I mentioned in a post in here.  Very good quality jacket.

Now, I just need a low rider to cruise the strip!

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

On 3/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, Broark said:

Anyone else ever find themselves in a stylistic rut of sorts? I don't see much that I'm really compelled to buy these days.
I wear the same like 5 to 10 shirts/t-shirts almost all the time, and a pair of Roy or Ooe jeans daily. Nothing else does it for me these days.
Sure when something new from Roy or Ooe comes out I'll buy it from a collection standpoint, I know what I like. But outside of that there's not much that does it for me.
Maybe it's time I take some time off from the forums or something. :unsure:

Unless, you don't wear them, a hat can make a difference based on your taste.

I've been thinking about looking into more shirts that have stitched subtle imagery without it looking ugly.  Buzz comes to mind.  My only issue is when brands stitch another random person's name on their apparel like some items from Buzz, King Louie, etc.  Some of the stuff looks cheesy.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:10 PM, Iron Horse said:

From Rakuten:

rglobal_attention.gif

Some of the shops I frequently purchase from using PayPal payment no longer have this option yet they still display it as a payment option including alipay.  I contacted Rakuten in their live chat and they didn't understand what I was talking about.  Decided to email them with the shops payment description so hopefully they contact the shops about this glitch in payment.  I'm willing to bet there is a couple more shops on Rakuten that have this issue as well.

I never clicked on this thread because I thought it would literally be about people getting chewing gum stuck to their denim or getting their pant leg stuck in their bicycle chain or whatever ("denim blunders"). Rather pleased to find it's actually a general denim discussion thread!