Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I have a question for anyone who has an opinion.  When you guys purchase a new pair of jeans, or even when searching for a new pair, do you try to stick with a fit/cut that you like or do you buy a pair because you like certain qualities or characteristics and consider the fit as secondary within reason?  Currently I'm debating between two different pairs, one based on a fit I have found really works for me (Sugar Cane 1947) after purchasing a pair of LVC '47, and one based on a fit that I have no familiarity with being the TCB 50s.  

Maybe this is a two-part question as well, do you stick with a fit you're familiar with or like to venture out and try something different?

i used to buy because of my curiosity of the fabric but now i tend to stick with my fit/cut that i know will work for the rest of my life. 

it's ok man go explore and try the new fit/cut, later on you will know which work best for you

I'm lucky enough that I live in Southern California where there are a multitude of offerings so I'm able to actually see and try things in person, I can't begin to imagine what it's like to not have any idea at all.  Luckily Self Edge carry Sugar Cane so I can check those out, TCB might be trickier though.

Well, I usually get first attracted by the more visual things like fabric and details. If this intrigues me I will dig deeper, read about the background and the denim and then have a look at the measurements. If I can make those work or if they are in line with what I usually wear, then there is a chance I wil buy.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

It's important to me that jeans fit well. A bad fit is a no-go. Beyond that, I'm open to a pretty wide range of cuts, and I've tried to explore around as much as possible. I've found good fits (for me) in plenty of different cuts, and I've found bad fits (for me) in plenty of different cuts.

more general purchasing principle: i mostly go with whether or not said piece of clothing goes with my "style" aka what i've got in my wardrobe. with jeans this doesn't matter much since it goes with practically everything (i have my outfit-with-slim jeans and outfit-with-baggy jeans pretty much worked out, the only question remaining being whether or not the jeans in question (when i'm considering a new pair) "pumps my nads"). eg, when sda released the first champloo jeans made by double volante, i just had to have it (tho it did also fit into my outfit-with-slim jeans wardrobe). some jeans have perfect fit (for me), like the ih beatle buster, but i didn't get a pair when it was still available because i couldn't gel with ih details back then (found them a bit ho-hum and mall-y), but now with my existing wardrobe i reckon it would work perfectly as a stealthy slimmish jeans when i don't wanna look too sloppy (current, perhaps all-time most frequent, look). and of course it is now EXTINCT as they say in ih land *facepalm. and then there are things i bought because i thought i was gonna change my look (happens every five years or so), eg, mf gilet de ville vest, that one pumped my nads in all sorts of ways, but i've got absolutely no use for it at the moment. i still keep it though, since it's kinda beautiful. also, in my experience, almost all bad fits, unless a jeans is just way too small (you can't fix too big, but you can't wear too small!), can be fixed by getting them hemmed (to your desired length). btw, sc47 has totally different fit to lvc47... 

4 hours ago, VivaMarlon said:

Currently I'm debating between two different pairs, one based on a fit I have found really works for me (Sugar Cane 1947) after purchasing a pair of LVC '47, and one based on a fit that I have no familiarity with being the TCB 50s. 

I’d like to re-emphasise Ooms comment that the SC47 and LVC47 are two very different cuts. LVC is slimmer and has a lower rise than the SC, which has a looser silhouette (with a tapered waist). I think the SC47 is closer to the LVC55.

Fit first, but it's a pretty loose guideline. My legs are big for my waist, so I need to make sure I can fit in them comfortably - so thigh & knee measurements are critical. Beyond that it gets a bit less strict (tapper, rise,...) even though my preference is for high rise / straight legs.

10 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’d like to re-emphasise Ooms comment that the SC47 and LVC47 are two very different cuts. LVC is slimmer and has a lower rise than the SC, which has a looser silhouette (with a tapered waist). I think the SC47 is closer to the LVC55.

I'll have to keep that in mind, aren't the TCB 50s also similar to LVC 55 in terms of fit as well?  To those familiar, which is closer to the original? LVC or Sugar Cane?

5 minutes ago, 1fookntitefd said:

so how often is everyone washing their jeans these days? 

I still go a long time in between washes mostly because I work an office job so I only get to wear jeans once or twice a week with very light wear at that.

1 minute ago, VivaMarlon said:

I'll have to keep that in mind, aren't the TCB 50s also similar to LVC 55 in terms of fit as well?  To those familiar, which is closer to the original? LVC or Sugar Cane?

One would expect that LVC is closer to the original Levis from 1955, but more to the point, if you're looking at Sugar Cane, the Hawaii & Okinawa are also similar to the 1955 cut.

3 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

so how often is everyone washing their jeans these days? 

Once a week. I work construction. So my jeans get filthy. I use the dryer often too

I would never buy a pair of jeans unless they measured 35-36in waist, >= 13in thigh, and <9in leg opening raw. Having these measurements doesn’t guarantee the fit will work, but having something different in any of those areas would guarantee they will not work. 

But I would also never look at the measurements if there weren’t something compelling about the denim, details, or brand history.

So, really it all matters to me. If i only cared about fit I would probably just buy something from Bonobos with a little bit of stretch. If I cared only about fabric there are tons of interesting choices that would look absolutely terrible on me.

Edited by Quoise1203

I've just been hit with import duties charge, for a shipment from Tender. I believe it's the first time ever I have to pay those (in the US). It doesn't bother me that much, and William is certainly not responsible in any way, but I find it funny to experience those for the first time for a denim etc shipment...

Edited by JDelage

Here in Sweden it’s been completely horrible the past year or so. ALL shipments from outside the EU are taxed and off course there’s a handling fee. I bought an antique peice of indigo dyed fabric last summer for about $9 and had to pay more in fees and taxes than I payed for both shipping and the fabric!