Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I could see $500 or more being a lot for a college student.  I remember when I spent $200 for my Red Wings moc toes in college and thought that was a lot at the time.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to spend no more than $200 for a pair of boots, college-age or otherwise. Thursday is a good option in that price range. When I was in college, a pair of Doc's was expensive for me. As Dude said, the guy has no perspective. 

Feel like I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again. I absolute hate Instagram advertising. If your store or brand advertises on Instagram the likelihood that I’ll purchase anything from you drops to zero percent. I report pretty much every ad is see on Instagram as spam.

I agree, sponsored post are doing my head in. 

While on the subject of IG my main bug bear is the way some people use stories. When they put up a new post then a story which is the same post with the text : new post up now. I know, I follow you!

IG is the only social media I use (other than forums) and it's seriously close to getting deleted. 

Which would obviously devestate my 690 followere :D

13 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I agree, sponsored post are doing my head in. 

While on the subject of IG my main bug bear is the way some people use stories. When they put up a new post then a story which is the same post with the text : new post up now. I know, I follow you!

IG is the only social media I use (other than forums) and it's seriously close to getting deleted. 

Which would obviously devestate my 690 followere :D

Yeah that's annoying, especially when guys post it like 7 times in a row tagging each brand in a different story, all with the same picture. So infuriating. I did the story to post thing like twice, felt gross doing it, and haven't done it since. 

I find Instagram stories to be almost completely useless. I rarely watch them and I never post them.

I actually don't mind Instagram's advertising. I think it's a lot less obstructive than with most sites (which I don't have to deal with since I use Adblock.) I'm more bothered by the ad on here of that stupid bear T-shirt that's been there for over a year. I'm so sick of looking at that.

Edited by Cold Summer

I don't really post here that much anymore so maybe I'm part of the problem but I'm bummed that many people have transitioned to IG instead of forums like this one... I wonder if my interest would have been piqued in the first place if I only discovered it today. I feel like its so much less intellectual on ig. 

Anyway, anyone have any recommendations on silver ball chain necklaces?

58 minutes ago, itsbenhere said:

I don't really post here that much anymore so maybe I'm part of the problem but I'm bummed that many people have transitioned to IG instead of forums like this one... I wonder if my interest would have been piqued in the first place if I only discovered it today. I feel like its so much less intellectual on ig. 

I was just thinking of making a snarky post stating that it seems like our little denim community here is going through another slow death phase. I'ts been eerily quiet here for the past couple of weeks... It also seems a bit lonely without some of the core members that were regular contributors when I joined a few years ago.

Somewhat related, the IH forum seems to be as solid as ever. IH seems to really have their brand, customer base, and communications well sorted. That's not meant as a criticism, as I'm a loyal IH fan just as much as other brands. 

Yeah, I’ve been having some pretty major life developments recently so my mind has kind of been off posting...

that would actually be fun. For you guys, who do you remember to be the frequent posters when you first got interested in denim?

For me, I’d say:

@beatle

@ThinFinn

@riff

@Max Power

@beautiful_FrEaK

bandit

and I’m sure a million others im missing too... always trippy when someone posts after years of not posting!

I struggle with the IH forum, not sure why. I've met Giles in person and Paula and they're  genuinely very nice people but Giles always comes across a bit snarky on the forum. Perhaps I just don't get his humour?

Edited by Geeman

@Geeman I hear you. I lurked when it first started and noticed that vibe. It felt a bit cult like as well which put me off. That's years back now though. I bought TFH off Giles when he used to sell that and IH before the webshop and service was always good.

@mpukas yeah the IH brand is definitely strong. I had then sold 3 shirts, the bids were flying in and I got good prices on all. Not my bag these days but it seems to keep it's value well.

On 1/26/2019 at 6:38 AM, itsbenhere said:

For me, I’d say:

beatle

thinfinn

riff

max power

beautiful_freak

bandit

and I’m sure a million others im missing too... always trippy when someone posts after years of not posting!

To add to the list of guys I miss, off the top of my head (and there are others): @hoggreaser  @nizzel55 

The IH forum is certainly a fanboi forum, and that not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone there seems genuinely nice and civil. I've had many brits in my life, years past, so I get Giles' snarkiness. He has just enough to not turn the fan base off. 

Like any brand making anything, IH is always designing/making new things. They listen well to their base and deliver what they think will sell. They usually make just enough to undercut demand, so everything new usually sells out. I have noticed that it can backfire sometimes. They keep making such awesome stuff after awesome stuff. When a new release comes out there's a lot of excitement around it (because it's new and hasn't been done before) - at least until the next new release comes out. Then the last release can become yesterday's news, as there's something new on the horizon. Some of their items turn out to be future classics and hold value well, especially if they're never run again. Some do not. I'm trying to move 2 western chambrays and a pair of 634-18S - all currently available at IHUK - and have had ZERO interest. A few years ago these would have been considered hot items at good prices. Who knows why... IMO there's too much other new stuff coming to compete with. All that certainly isn't unique to IH. 

I’ve kinda fallen out of the whole IH thing.  I still have a bunch of shirts and stuff but I’m not buying it like I once did. Don’t get me wrong, they make nice stuff. But from a value perspective their stuff is very expensive. I just can’t justify a 325 dollar shirt I can’t wear most of the year anymore. Especially given the JP retail price by comparison. Not saying their stuff isn’t worth the asking price, just has gotten too rich for my blood and like Michael was saying too oversaturared. There’s a new super hype release every week. So I don’t really check out IHF very much anymore.

Sounds like they've really ramped it up since I had a few items around 2009/10. I noticed even then that the prices just kept going up and up. Just had a quick peep now and can see they have loads of stuff. The shirts are well made but were too wide at the waist. Anyway good on those who enjoy it.

9 hours ago, Geeman said:

I struggle with the IH forum, not sure why. I've met Giles in person and Paula and they're  genuinely very nice people but Giles always comes across a bit snarky on the forum. Perhaps I just don't get his humour?

I had some issues with the IH forum and never been back since.

@itsbenhere IG definitely has a LOT less information than the forums, but I say what I want to say on my blog so I don't post on forums anymore. Doesn't help that denimbro is no fun anymore. Still, i lurk on here and denimbro because IG is not the place to go for information at all.

18 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

Thanks dude. Guessing you’re talking about good art, which is amazing, but usually super expensive so for a ball chain necklace I don’t know if it’d be worth it. 

Sure do love my bracelet and necklace though!

Good Art's ball chain necklaces with a custom branded Good Art connector start at about $90.  I don't know of another proper jewelry brand that would sell one for cheaper.  

Your lower cost option is to go to a hardware store and buy a stainless steel ball chain by the foot, that was actually how I bought my first necklace when I was 15.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, Broark said:

I’ve kinda fallen out of the whole IH thing.  I still have a bunch of shirts and stuff but I’m not buying it like I once did. Don’t get me wrong, they make nice stuff. But from a value perspective their stuff is very expensive. I just can’t justify a 325 dollar shirt I can’t wear most of the year anymore. Especially given the JP retail price by comparison. Not saying their stuff isn’t worth the asking price, just has gotten too rich for my blood and like Michael was saying too oversaturared. There’s a new super hype release every week. So I don’t really check out IHF very much anymore.

IH being more widely available is a good thing imo. Not all vendors carry the same stuff and items still sell out. The hype releases you speak of are typically items that have been in development for many months. I’d rather they show sneak peeks often instead of nothing at all. 

I've grown to dislike IH due to fit, which isn't fair. Good for everyone that can fit a 27+ inch sleeve on L to XL. Wish they would change it up but they won't, which I respect. Their best fit jeans are at Self Edge anyway for me as the luck of the draw goes.

Edited by SmokeStackLightning

im from Canada and I've paid roughly at least 3k in the past year in duties alone. Then again, canadian duties r quite crazy.. Up to 33% in some instances. They also charge 20 bucks for customs handling on anything over 60 bucks. So basically I got a dumb watch strap for 65 bucks. The shipping was 10, and the customs handling was 20 bucks and they also taxed me 20 bucks for custom fees. So total i ended up spending 115 on a watch strap which was listed on Raku for 65. 

On the other end, I get lucky sometimes and my leather jackets 2k+ value just slips right through customs.