Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I really want a silver wallet chain.  Good Art asks for too much as I can get it cheaper overseas.  I can only imagine how much Lynch costs.  My limit would be $700-1200.  Once I get that, I'll sell my brass IH chain I don't wear as much as its very long.  

Brass chains leave chain fades on denim btw if you're into that.  They leave a ring on the denim after long periods of wear.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:04 PM, aho said:

General reflection...I bought some Uniqlo EZY Ankle Length pants (read: "mens stretchy pants") for Christmas dinner/celebrations with the family and my word were they a revelation. Sometimes I forget how comfortable not wearing jeans can be, and I'm not sure what to do with myself :/

That said, I will never wear stretchy denim.

They make them in stretch denim too. I resisted the temptation to buy them yesterday, especially as I don't have a Uniqlo in the country I live in. I am visiting Russia and I managed to pick up their Stretch Selvedge. That itself is a revelation to me.

Edited by i_denim

I'm hesitant to post this, as I know it's bad form around here to talk negatively... but, I have to get this off my chest... the YouTuber Stridewise is a complete jackass who has no idea what he's talking about. He's the epitome of a fashion trend tail-coater that jabbers out his back-side just to try make an easy buck through his channel. There, rant over. Thanks, and let's resume civil conversation. :P

On 12/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, aho said:

General reflection...I bought some Uniqlo EZY Ankle Length pants (read: "mens stretchy pants") for Christmas dinner/celebrations with the family and my word were they a revelation. Sometimes I forget how comfortable not wearing jeans can be, and I'm not sure what to do with myself :/

That said, I will never wear stretchy denim.

I'm in no way intending to promote, endorse or defend stretchy denim, but it was quite a revelation to me as well wearing Levi's 502's w/ 1% elastane late last summer/early fall for a week. I stopped wearing them because the over-all quality of the off-the-shelf jeans was just meh and denim rather plain, dull and boring (great deep indigo color, though), not because I didn't like the stretchiness. I have another pair of Levi's 502 100% cotton that has much more interesting denim that I wore for 6 or so weeks, and the stretchy ones were far more comfy to wear and move in. The 1% stretch wasn't really even apparent as stretchy, just noticeably easier to move in. 

Yea I could never pay $650 for jeans. Hell I have a hard time justifying over $300 for jeans. 

With two kids and a house I really have to prioritize where my money is being spent. Haha 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 12:01 AM, ecsong187 said:

How much is too much? I see Bowery Blue selling jeans for $600! 

Who the hell is buying those? I would never pay that much. 

good question...

I'm with you - $300-400 for a good Japanese pair seems to be the golden standard these days. for more one can expect natural indigo (which nobody really needs), etc.

exceptions are:
- WH Ranch - $200 would probably still be too much...
- Bowery Blue Makers & Conners - certainly expensive for what they are, but in my eyes it makes sense

around $800 the AI-argument (or silver/gold rivets, hand-woven denim, Japanese cotton, etc.) is losing it's appeal.

Edited by Foxy2

I’m not planning on buying any more jeans as I still have enough to last for the rest of my life (and then some) but if I was I’d be shopping smartly (sales, new/almost new second-hand, direct from Japan, etc) with a limit of approx $200.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, mpukas said:

I'm hesitant to post this, as I know it's bad form around here to talk negatively... but, I have to get this off my chest... the YouTuber Stridewise is a complete jackass who has no idea what he's talking about. He's the epitome of a fashion trend tail-coater that jabbers out his back-side just to try make an easy buck through his channel. There, rant over. Thanks, and let's resume civil conversation. :P

Why so? Genuinely curious -- I'm quite new to boots (so I can't be very objective) but I find his videos to be very good, at the very least for the leather eye candy. Was it perhaps the video where he said Vibergs are overpriced that got your goat? :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m not planning on buying any more jeans as I still have enough to last for the rest of my life (and then some) but if I was I’d be shopping smartly (sales, new/almost new second-hand, direct from Japan, etc) with a limit of approx $200.

I'd be more in this boat, I prefer to look for deals. I've had some very good luck on Yahoo auctions over the last year. If you're patient you can get great pairs for well under $200.

A kid and a house has definitely made me scale back on the amount of money I'm willing to pay for denim right now. I rarely ever buy anything full price these days. I either wait for a sale or buy lightly used on Grailed.

I lost some weight and was itching for a new pair around Thanksgiving so I got some cheapo Levis STFs and, honestly, they're my best fitting pair right now.

I'd never begrudge anyone spending top dollar for denim if they can afford it, though.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:56 PM, longshanks said:

Picked up a cushman sweatshirt from Clutch Cafe in London when I passed through. Really great sweater, I’ll try and get some more pictures up later in the week. 

Very nice. I got one of the two tone ones (green and kind of oatmeal) as I have a ton of grey sweats already. They're really nice though.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:47 AM, enojy said:

Why so? Genuinely curious -- I'm quite new to boots (so I can't be very objective) but I find his videos to be very good, at the very least for the leather eye candy. Was it perhaps the video where he said Vibergs are overpriced that got your goat? :biggrin:

The guy has a very superficial interest in boots. Sure, he has quite a few pairs which are fun to look it and see in detail without having to actually buy them or visit a shop. His knowledge of boot/shoe construction goes as far as GYW = the best. I wonder if he even knows what gemming is? (I didn't until a few years ago after spending time here and learning from folks that know more than I; that not a knock for not being informed, but for posing as an expert when he's not). He doesn't seem to have any grasp of the minor & major subtleties/differences that separate decent boots from really good boots. All of his vid reviews are from his own closet, and there's really only so much much you say about a pair of boots and so many ways you can compare and contrast them. Yet like most YT'ers he keep pumping out vids with a slightly different angle just to put out vids to get views & likes. He's just a fashionista that likes to talk. A lot. About nothing. 

For example, in the couple of vids I've tried to watch, he's stated that Thursday boots are his favorite. And he usually rags on Grant Stone for being made in China and therefore over priced. That's as far as it goes. He fails to mention Thursday are made in Mexico, which last time I checked, is outside of the US and - like China - has cheaper labor rates than the US, hence cheaper end product for US consumers. He doesn't seem to know that China and Mexico both have highly skilled craftsmen with a long history of making high quality leather goods and footwear, rivalling the best from US, Canada, and Europe. He's made no effort to look into how each boot in made in their respective factories. While I've never handled a pair of Thursday's, I do own a pair of Grant Stone's, and I can say affirmatively the GS are some of the best boots you'll find anywhere, at any price, from any maker. You'd have to go to the highest-end boot makers to get better, and you'd pay 2-4 times the price. Just by looking at Thursday's in his vids, on-line, IG, etc. it's immediately apparent that GS are far better quality in design and construction. GS are nearly twice the price of Thursday, so they should be better overall. 

I haven't watched any of his vids about Viberg. But if he said they are over priced, I have to agree, to a point. Viberg are spendy, and they sell quickly. They can get the prices they ask. If their product didn't sell, I'm sure they'd drop the price to where they did sell. Are they worth the price? The value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Can you get something comparable for less? Sure, but exactly like anything they make. If that's what you want, that's what you'll pay. Personally, I might someday pay $700 for a pair of Viberg's, but I'd never pay $200 for a pair of Thursday's. 

My biggest issue with him is that he has no perspective. He talks about how $500 shoes are expensive which relative to quality shoes is not true. It may be a lot for someone to spend, but truly well made shoes and boots cost a lot of money. Also, yes, he seems like someone who is very superficially into boots. I don't know anyone who is really into boots that likes the guy. He has been derided consistently since he showed up. His worst moment was when he mentioned that his Truman boots were not evenly lasted as if it were a passing thought. How can anyone who cares about boots not realize how horrendous that kind of mistake is? How can you say the quality is good overall when they screw up that badly? That alone completely discredits him.

Edited by dudewuttheheck